Survival UK Forums
Fuel shortage ? - Printable Version

+- Survival UK Forums (http://forum.survivaluk.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion Area (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Threats and Risks (http://forum.survivaluk.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Fuel shortage ? (/showthread.php?tid=9683)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Fuel shortage ? - bigpaul - 4 October 2021

(4 October 2021, 16:17)Midnitemo Wrote: we've all been spoiled by modern technology , drill drivers , jigsaws , grinders , brushcutters , chainsaws we none of us are getting any younger it's tougher using manual mean's than you may remember , i recently felled and processed 10 tree's in my rear garden with only hand tools , it took ages and damn near finished me off
I'm getting in training for when there is no electric or fuel!!!

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Straight Shooter - 4 October 2021

Umm BP ....have you ever considered moving to South Wales ? Lol .

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Pete Grey - 4 October 2021

(4 October 2021, 12:12)Straight Shooter Wrote: Eventually long term we may well be back to a good saw ( i have many and fit for purpose ) also a few good axes and a few hatchets with some cast steel star wedges .......having the strength to use them would be good ....delegation of use sometimes offends wild child .

My father was a master carpenter and I have all his hand tools as well as my own. All of the old saws are old carbon steel, the best you could get, and I have the nesessary files and setting tools to keep them in first class condition.

However while they are sharpened, oiled and in canvas sleeves ready for use if I have a quick job to do I grab modern hard point saw.

My reasoning is the hard point is disposable, when blunt throw it away, they’re two for a tenner.

The old saws are the preps and will last as long as long as there is someone to use them, generations.

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Skean Dhude - 4 October 2021

It's been reducing for some time before that. A person I knew had a small petrol forecourt. Legislation came along and he didn't have enough space between the pumps and the garage or the pumps and the road so had to shut. 50% of his business in that small village disappeared in one shot. Lots of little cuts screw the small business.

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Straight Shooter - 4 October 2021

Small businesses are no longer required SD ....if anyone had a good business ,well run and making good profits they tend to be bought out by bigger companies to gain market share .....then in turn they are gobbled up by investment companies then sold on to multinationals with share holders any short comings or failings at this level will be either stripped down and sold off or we end up paying as always .....to provide a service by a multinational to a localised community is not that hard if you franchise the service .....Big Mac etc etc and with the onset of AI why would you pay anyone to WORK anyway ? The big mistake anyone can make is thinking they have any empathy with us the workers ....they do not ......all they care about is profit beyond our widest dreams along with the power that that brings .....in short we are all surplus to requirements .

RE: Fuel shortage ? - bigpaul - 5 October 2021

(4 October 2021, 18:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: Umm BP ....have you ever considered moving to South Wales ? Lol .
I did think about it at one time many years ago SS when I lived alone, but had no money to make the move.

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Lightspeed - 8 October 2021

(28 September 2021, 12:19)Midnitemo Wrote: i do prep for fuel shortages......5 gallons of super in the jerry can and a gallon in the ANF 125 and 2 gallons in the CG125 equates to almost a thousand miles of commuting ...20 mile a day roundtrip means i have the means to get to work til Christmas without using either of the cars(which are both full)

Same logic as Midnitemo: We keep cars brimmed, which equates to more than 6 month's worth of weekly shopping runs. Plus backup Jerrycans of fuel for generators and chainsaws.

RE: Fuel shortage ? - bigpaul - 8 October 2021

wife topped up her tank this morning, no shortages out here .

RE: Fuel shortage ? - Straight Shooter - 12 October 2021

Been on a walkabout today .....there are gaps in shelves .....everywhere we visited six different stores ......in Wilco’s we were greeted by a 4ft x 3ft sign explaining shortages and most other outlets as well as Wilco’s are in the same boat ! .....it’s getting in your face because they can no longer hide it ....as much as they stretch the stock that they do actually have .....although these observations are just a snapshot of a six mile radius of where I am ...it’s the speed of change that’s bugging me ! It’s getting worse by the day let alone a week ! I can see big social unrest brewing along with the dangers that it will surely bring ........although I am well prepared , I will revisit the security of our home and ground and address any weak spots , and sort them without delay ......I am also hearing of people loosing their jobs (local) ....food banks are struggling to meet demand ...the word on the streets is affording to heat your home this winter ! And what if food shortages get worse ? Along with Christmas will be terrible this year ....worse than last year ......this is what people are talking about right now ! .....the more they see empty shelves and signs telling of shortages the more they will panic , no matter what tptb or the news may say on the TV .....they are seeing differently with their own eyes at a local level .

RE: Fuel shortage ? - MaryN - 13 October 2021

No real problems here yet. The fuel situation seems to have normalised and no difficulty in getting diesel or petrol. Weirdly enough the only shortage I have observed is that of ground coffee in some shops. Not sure what this means??