Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentary about man living self sufficiently - Leeds festival
15 November 2012, 22:57,
RE: Documentary about man living self sufficiently - Leeds festival
I remember visiting Poland to stay with my Grandmother in the early 70's. They lived in a small block of flats (maybe three storeys, two flats on each level). It was surrounded by a garden and people grew stuff and kept chickens. One evening I went into the bathroom, and there's this chicken strutting around in there. It had crapped all over the floor. I asked my Dad about it, and he told me it was tomorrow's dinner.

Sure enough, after breakfast the next day, everybody gathered round for the "execution". My Grandmother (who would have been well into her 70's at the time) performed the deed with a small, sharp kitchen knife. I can still see that knife now in my mind. I couldn't believe it, but it really did twitch all over the place after it's throat was cut. That evening we had boiled chicken and cabbage for tea. To this day, I can't imagine a more effective way of ruining a perfectly good chicken!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Documentary about man living self sufficiently - Leeds festival - by Tarrel - 15 November 2012, 22:57