Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip
9 January 2012, 12:09,
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip
(9 January 2012, 10:22)Scythe13 Wrote: The first lesson I learned:

The woods are not as scarey at night as everyone says they are!
That may seem obvious, mostly because because it is obvious. Once you get your head around the knowledge that the woods are the same at night as they are in the day, same animals, same trees, and all that, then you are clear. I am happy to admit that it was a bit freaky at first, but that's the primitive mind at work. The mind that is scared of your own bedroom the dark, when you were a child. Once logic is able to kick in, you know you're going to be fine.

Unless you know the area very well or have car/truck parked nearby, night time woods is not same as day time, we are not talking about sitting in camp and letting mind get carried away, more so daylight is best time to set up camp, get to know area, camp safe placement, and find water, get your wood ready so on.

If something went wrong, say one of you getting a deep wound! anytime would be hell but in the night it just would be a lot harder, even down to finding your med kit or contents in it, I always have a small torch tied to my med kit and also inside it another one head type (leave you two hands to treat person), that alongside any main lighting I bring with me as well, then after you have treated the wound now go in pitch black and get help and then say its same as day time, "little bit more thought here".

My main concern with one of your posts was you said you were getting someone to drop you and your girlfriend off somewhere unknown and this would be at night time (eve), I myself would always do an early morning start for that kind of camp, but hey it’s not like you had to face snow and really cold weather and everything went ok.

It is good to camp alone as well.

Lose the tins, open them and bag contents, I vacuum seal, I also make a power drink/meal would you like to know more?

-------------------------------------------
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ

Messages In This Thread
Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Scythe13 - 9 January 2012, 10:22
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Nemesis - 9 January 2012, 11:44
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Nemesis - 9 January 2012, 12:09
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by AlyBear - 13 January 2012, 21:40
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Prep28 - 26 January 2012, 00:07
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Prep28 - 29 January 2012, 22:26
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip - by Scythe13 - 29 January 2012, 23:47