Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers
29 July 2012, 19:52,
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers
Hi Folks! Well the weather was kind and we enjoyed a very good weekend! Thank you guys for your good wishes! As it turns out, it was just TOF and myself but we both learned much about our BOBs!

For my part, I really do need to reduce the weight and I will do this by reducing duplicate items! I don't know if you guys have noticed this in your own prepping, but for me, it has highlighted the the things I must subconsciously be VERY worried about i.e I have too many torches and lights weighing my bag down, too much tinned food weighing a ton and too much clothing!!!

I also discovEred that my Swiss Army gel cooker is excellent but doesn't burn for very long at all ... one meal to be precise and so this issue has to be rectified ASAP! We cooked over the campfire mostly and TOF brought along some really delicious dehydrated meals which she had put together herself using a Westfalia Laser 2000. Also TOF produced a great fruitcake and cornbread using her cast iron pots which can be used in combination as a dutch oven, excellent!

By the time I rendevozed with TOF, I had no idea that she had left the forum for whatever reason but perhaps she will come back on here to add to this and post some of her photos.

I took my old Midland 40 channel, UK legal, portable, FM CB as TOF expressed an inerest in understanding how to set up A system for herself. I mounted a DV27 onto a biscuit tin with four ground plane wires (2.75 metres in length), made from hi fi speaker cable with lengths of fishing line attatched at the ends and these were then pegged into the ground. This antenna arrangement was set up on the roof of my tent!!! The groundplanes looked like extra guy ropes to the tent! I showed TOF how to use an SWR meter and managed a 1 to 1:1 reading at chanel 20 which is better than I got at home when I put this system together last weekend in my garden. Although CB is pretty much deserted these days we managed a couple of good copies!

I also took my wind up, Midland Base Camp PMR 446 and a little Motorola PMR 446 and we played abouT with these in the woods! I also took a little Baofeng UV 3R with it's modified battery housing which I have set up to run off 4 x rechargeable AA batteries. I took my solar battery charger and it did a good job of topping up the batteries for the all the radio kit. I also took a deep cycle 12 v battery as back up, but would not usually have this in my BOB!

If I go back to camp at the same site again, I will catapult a dipole up a tree! We did a little catapult practice too but did not go hunting!

We tested out my little water filter ('Soldier Water Filter' purchased on Ebay), and it did a great job.

We took turns in emptying out the contents of our BOBs and dicussed all items, areas which could be improved and items which could be added. In addition, I took my EDC and GHB for inspection.

All in all a very fruitful and fun weekend! I will definitely be working on lightening my load!

Excellent! I want to do it it again! Who's up for it? Wink

We

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by TOF - 10 July 2012, 13:37
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by Bug_out_Bag - 29 July 2012, 19:52
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by TOF - 30 July 2012, 09:45
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by TOF - 30 July 2012, 17:24
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by TOF - 30 July 2012, 19:55
RE: Bug Out Camping For Women Preppers - by Paul - 1 August 2012, 16:07