Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
..Here's one I prepared earlier....
16 July 2012, 15:29,
..Here's one I prepared earlier....
Just a small post regarding a recent family break up near the loch ness region at Fort Augustus.

Having been a member of this forum for a small time now it has helped me become more aware of what I was looking for in a location to hold up in - after TSHTF. I had a location in mind - off the beaten track - shall we say , which had areas I hoped could become useful to me nearby.

I live in a semi-rural area , close to larger urban areas , but separate enough to have grown up learning all about the wildlife , and the natural side of things ,and having a lot of experience of this has helped me in other aspects of my life.
I genuinely feel sad that someone who has grown up in large towns or cities may not have had some of the basic experiences I have had , and it makes me so grateful that I have.

The recent break up north led us through many areas , anyone who has travelled up the A82 or A9 will know what I am on about...varying from bleak , barren hills and mountains , to rich with life , heather and tree covered hills , high sheltered valleys and low , crowded glens.

The area is a preppers dream...apart from the weather sometimes...and the midges....sometimes. Undecided

We stayed in a holiday cottage at Fort Augustus.
A river in the back garden , and lochs - a few minutes walk away.
Good soil , plenty of water , plenty of animal life...but oh so remote in my opinion.

I can now understand and accept why I have always said that those in the remoter areas will cope better post SHTF , they are already used to relying on whats near them , and also with coping with , or making the most of , what they have. It's the first time I've looked on a part of my own country and felt this way , I can understand why the highlands always seem to be out of touch with the rest of Scotland - it's exactly that - they are out of touch with most of Scotland.

The small communities all rely heavily on themselves and their neighbours when winter comes and they sometimes get isolated , it would be crazy to rely on help from the larger towns like Fort William or Aviemore and Inverness...you can easily do a 100 mile round trip going from one to another.
It brought home to me that places like that - are going to be far better prepared , and will cope a lot better than similar communities in more heavily populated areas.

Now these areas are full of 'holiday cottages' owned by people from outside the area mostly...which will be left deserted when TSHTF unless the owners have made preparations of course.......

The amount of places I went through which ,although were close to ( single tracked ) roads , could be considered remote enough for people like ourselves to thrive in.

I may have to adjust my B.O.L , at the least I may have to do another recce of my primary area to see how it compares....

Just thought I would post this up for general debate.

@ Kenneth Eames - Kenneth I know you are from western isles , and this post is meant in no way to offend or criticise the highland and islands region , I'm only offering my findings and opinion on the great glen area that I have recently visited mate.

TLN.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.

Messages In This Thread
..Here's one I prepared earlier.... - by The Local Ned - 16 July 2012, 15:29
RE: ..Here's one I prepared earlier.... - by TOF - 16 July 2012, 16:00
RE: ..Here's one I prepared earlier.... - by TOF - 17 July 2012, 17:01
RE: ..Here's one I prepared earlier.... - by TOF - 17 July 2012, 21:28