Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind-up torch modification: battery to Capacitor
16 November 2011, 13:36,
RE: Wind-up torch modification: battery to Capacitor
I've not given up the hunt for a suitable capacitor but I'm not hopeful at the minute.
I'll be ordering a couple of options when I place my next order to RS or Farnell.

Torch 1 was the one I did the initial testing on. I had to de-solder the battery to test the capacitors so that one still sits in bits on my desk.
Torch 2: Is being subjected to frequent use. I plan to take this one apart and report back on the performance of the battery at some point.

Torch 2 doesn't appear to be lasting as long as torch 1 was when I did the testing on it but the battery in torch 2 might not have been as good when I got it. (I should really test Torch 2 and then test it again in a month to see degradation)

I do plan to report further at some point.
I'd still recommend you pick one of these up but don't expect it to last many years (either on the shelf or in use).
However you can afford to pick one of these up every couple of years as a prep. It's certainly paid for itself in comparison to just the cost of batteries for a normal torch.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wind-up torch modification: battery to Capacitor - by Skvez - 16 November 2011, 13:36