Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swedish Army emergency gel cooker/stove
8 December 2012, 17:49,
Swedish Army emergency gel cooker/stove
Product review - Swedish Army emergency gel cooker/stove

This is my 1st product review so please bear with me.

http://www.sids-surplus.co.uk/Swedish_Ar...66647.aspx

I got this free via our very own BeardyMan as part of his Gift It idea.

At the time of writing, they are also available from his website for £3.00 each from the link above.

I tried to do this as a test so other members would know what to expect from it performance wise.

I used my smaller mess tin with 2 standard mugs worth of water in since my NATO mug wasn't to hand. It measured at just under 1 pint of water in total.

What you get

When you buy a stove, it comes shrink-wrapped, complete with a pot stand & a booklet of matches.

The Test

Once unwrapped & the lid removed you will find a foil seal. I cut this away with my EDC knife & scraped the gel stuck to it back into the stove.

After putting the pot stand on, I used a long reach gas lighter rather than using the matches to light it outside. The ambient temperature was 5 degrees C & there was a light breeze throughout the heating time.

It took the flame instantly & I put my mess tin onto the pot stand with the larger tin over as a make shift lid to retain heat.

Then I went & stuck the kettle on.

I checked it every 2 or 3 minutes for temperature using the age old method of dipping my finger in to see if it was hot. After just short of 14 minutes, i decided it was hot enough to use for coffee. I made a cuppa up using the water & although it wasn't as hot as from the kettle, it was still too hot to drink straight away.

To extinguish, I was instructed to flick the pot stand off & put the lid on to suffocate the flame. I blew it out instead & nearly paid the price with my eyebrows Smile Next time ill use the lid.

Am I happy with my purchase?

Although I didn't buy it, if I had of paid the £3 cost of it, I would've been very happy.

Would I recommend this to my friends?

Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Would I buy another one?

Yes. Infact I fully intend to buy a few of these to store in various locations (car, fishing tackle box, bag, rucksack etc..)

Special thanks to BeardyMan for very kindly Gifting me this camp stove.

Messages In This Thread
Swedish Army emergency gel cooker/stove - by Geordie_Rob - 8 December 2012, 17:49