Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pass on the need to survive !
3 January 2012, 14:21, (This post was last modified: 3 January 2012, 14:30 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: How to pass on the need to survive !
(3 January 2012, 14:03)Jodansgang Wrote: Trying to scrounge 15sq meters of breeze blocks at the moment. Plan is to block up downstairs windows and door when SHTF. Living less than 1 mile out of a major northern city centre I think maybe we might be a bit vulnerable to let's say prying eyes. AM I GOING MAD ? The wife thinks so.

Takes to long to set and shatters to easily, try getting some wind sized DIY steel and wood laminates, IE sheet of 2 mm steel bond it it 1/2 marine ply, and another layer of 2mm sheet steel on tother side.
or if really skint just use hi impact self adhesive laminating film to re-enforce the glass. My mate found some SITEX window shutters used by the local council to board up empty houses with, he has them hidden away in his shed.
BTW for those of you with UPVC double glazed doors you need to do some DIY re-enforcing as well, just as the old timber panneled doors of old todays UPVC doors have deliberately weakened bottom panel fittings so firemen can smash a way in easily. Trouble is cops, chavs and thieves can also kick their way in. Ensure the door frames are screwed or preferably BOLTED into solid masonry, ensure that the instakllers have fitted all the locks and screws to your door, many leave some out as an economy measure. Some modern UPVC doors are fitted with hinges designed to break under load again supposedly for the benefit of rescuers, Uprate your hinge side of the door as well as the lock side. And ensure you have some secondary method of re-enforcing the inside off the bottom panel to stop it being kicked in. could be crossbars you fit during a crisis, or something that physically blocks the panel from being pushed backwards like a floor mounted security post.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to pass on the need to survive ! - by NorthernRaider - 3 January 2012, 14:21