Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pass on the need to survive !
4 January 2012, 13:00,
RE: How to pass on the need to survive !
(4 January 2012, 11:59)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(3 January 2012, 14:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Get the sitex and then get the local car fixer with a mig welder to fasten some flat brackets to the sitex so so can bolt it to the wall over the window without damaging the glass. Some sitex comes that way anyway. the rest is normally fitted with webbing straps so it can be taken down quickly. But honestly its Oh so easy to mod sitex so you can bolt it to your walls. Indeed you can get it set up in advance by having the bolts fitted now sticking out of the brickwork 13mm wide by about 25 mm long so just just have to life the panel into place then puts nuts and washers on. If you use razor wire it has to be mounted over 2 meters from the ground and you have to fit a warning sign by law ( fortunately they dont specify the size of the warning notice so it can be tiny) and dont forget to smear the wire with dog muck.
What about your wifey having fun by planting vicous thorny plants around the edge of your garden, works much better than razor wire and takes much less maintenance ?

NR,

That is what I have been planning. Sheet metal for every windows with brackets already installed. Can be fitted by two in minutes, details on the main site somewhere.

Only concern is that it makes the place look interesting.

It may looking interesting now to scallies and thieves looking for stuff to nick, but it may look just to secure or to much like hard work for tired, weak, stressed scavengers and they may look elsewhere.
One point I dont think we have adressed enough or explored is just how willing sheeple will be to risk violence or injury when they are already vulnerable, I think at worst its a 50 / 50 bet that most will decide that mini fortress may not be worth attacking just for a meal. Of course there are going to be some who equally think " that house must have something worthwhile to protect" but when the first of their group goes down with a new hole in his body they will at least consider it to risky for now and move on.

I personally have no time for the school of thought that suggests survivors should just be nomadic hunter gatherers, that may work for a while for a few fit young unaccompanied men, but most people will soon seek security and stability of a fixed base. The best comprimise I can come up with for people who think fixed secure retreats will only ever be constantly attacked is if they feel that way then ensure everything is prepacked and portable so you can load up quickly and move away if your home becomes unsustainable.

I feel that a decent well thought out preppers home is 90% the way ( for me at least) with its fuel stores, veg gardens, wood stoves, familiarity, but to ensure it remains that way after TSHTF active patrolling is a must and if neccessary engaging scavengers BEFORE they discover your home is probably going to be neccessary.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to pass on the need to survive ! - by NorthernRaider - 4 January 2012, 13:00