Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The peasants (students) are revolting
21 November 2012, 23:38,
RE: The peasants (students) are revolting
(21 November 2012, 23:23)Metroyeti Wrote: Im hoping to go to uni next year. Northumbrias stopped doing the coarse I want to do,next nearist is teeside,after that its birmingham and liverpool. after the coarse I will be a minimum of 18k debt, thats without relocating, renting and other expensis. Its a lot of money
To owe, but its worth it for the training I will get.

What pisses me off with students is the ones who buy£ 300shoes and other crap like that. If I get into uni its going to be a struggle, and I wont have daddies credit card or be able to drink pimms with all the rahs at the cricket club

You only start paying the money back after you are earning £15795. You pay 9% on anything over this you are earning, so if you earning £2500 a month, you pay £106 of that back as student loan. To put it into perspective, I am still paying back a student loan. I payout double each month on what I put into my pension than what I pay in student loan repayments.

Now, you have a choice. You can choose to not go to university, not get into debt and so not have to pay it back. You then give up any advantage in wage that study at university may provide for you, or you can go to university on the chance your earnings potential will be higher.

On top of that, your student loan repayments are deducted through the tax system. You never get the money, so you do not miss it. Is it not better that you pay for something, rather than rely on society to pay for it for you?

Why compare what you are going to be doing in your spare time to what someone else is going to be doing? It is pointless envy.
21 November 2012, 23:43,
To be honest im more worried about getting into a uni and finding work in a city I have never been to than the debt.

As for the snobby jesmondites they give students a bad name in newcastle, but on the flip side alot of businesses depend on them to survive.
21 November 2012, 23:44, (This post was last modified: 21 November 2012, 23:51 by Hexyprep.)
Well I don't know... we are happy for our kids to be educated to age 17... why not a bit more for those who WANT to be educated?? Not everyone does want to be educated but at the end of the day we NEED some educated people to be doctors and dentists, chiropractors and physio's.
We are happy to have the NHS and expect them to give us a good service for next to nothing... but we are not happy for those same people who are providing this service to be educated for a reasonable rate?

(21 November 2012, 23:38)BDG Wrote:
(21 November 2012, 23:23)Metroyeti Wrote: Im hoping to go to uni next year. Northumbrias stopped doing the coarse I want to do,next nearist is teeside,after that its birmingham and liverpool. after the coarse I will be a minimum of 18k debt, thats without relocating, renting and other expensis. Its a lot of money
To owe, but its worth it for the training I will get.

What pisses me off with students is the ones who buy£ 300shoes and other crap like that. If I get into uni its going to be a struggle, and I wont have daddies credit card or be able to drink pimms with all the rahs at the cricket club

You only start paying the money back after you are earning £15795. You pay 9% on anything over this you are earning, so if you earning £2500 a month, you pay £106 of that back as student loan. To put it into perspective, I am still paying back a student loan. I payout double each month on what I put into my pension than what I pay in student loan repayments.

Now, you have a choice. You can choose to not go to university, not get into debt and so not have to pay it back. You then give up any advantage in wage that study at university may provide for you, or you can go to university on the chance your earnings potential will be higher.

On top of that, your student loan repayments are deducted through the tax system. You never get the money, so you do not miss it. Is it not better that you pay for something, rather than rely on society to pay for it for you?

Why compare what you are going to be doing in your spare time to what someone else is going to be doing? It is pointless envy.

I finished my degree as the ressesion started... jobs in my field dried up... I am in massive debt and can not see an end... but when I started the degree it was with the belief it would give me a better life. If I owed more now I would be devistated.
21 November 2012, 23:51,
(21 November 2012, 23:44)Hexyprep Wrote: Well I don't know... we are happy for our kids to be educated to age 17... why not a bit more for those who WANT to be educated?? Not everyone does want to be educated but at the end of the day we NEED some educated people to be doctors and dentists, chiropractors and physio's.
We are happy to have the NHS and expect them to give us a good service for next to nothing... but we are not happy for those same people who are providing this service to be educated for a reasonable rate?

You do know that physios, nursing diplomas etcetera get NHS bursaries for studying. Those doing medicine or dentistry pay fees for the first four years then get a bursary.

So a doctor or dentist has to pay out up to £36k in fees? You do know the earnings potential of a doctor or dentist, right?
21 November 2012, 23:58,
Not always true. I have a friend training as a nurse and she is not getting any help. I don't know why this is, but it is... however that aside there are other fields that get no support and yet we need them. I have less understanding for people doing media studies etc. as I'm not sure that is beneficial really... but there are a lot of people who have no interest in being educated... fine don't be, there are many people who want to be and pay... fine pay, but there are also many people who want to be but can't pay... maybe it should be means tested? then it might be fair for all
22 November 2012, 00:00, (This post was last modified: 22 November 2012, 00:02 by BDG.)
(21 November 2012, 23:44)Hexyprep Wrote: I finished my degree as the ressesion started... jobs in my field dried up... I am in massive debt and can not see an end... but when I started the degree it was with the belief it would give me a better life. If I owed more now I would be devistated.

Value of investments can go down as well as up. Apply for all graduate recruitment schemes, be prepared to move to other end of the country, be prepared to do a job you do not really fancy.

Reminds me of a girl on radio 4 a couple of months ago. She was whining on that it was unfair kids who had wealthy parents could work for free - as interns and get experience working for charities. She wanted the law changed so no pay internships were not allowed so everyone could do one.

Another girl was having a similar complaint about internships. She wanted to work as a curator in an art gallery but had no experience and was complaining the government would not support her whilst she worked in London for nothing.

This is the university gamble. If you wanted to have a simpler life staying in your home town you could have done a trade.

(21 November 2012, 23:58)Hexyprep Wrote: Not always true. I have a friend training as a nurse and she is not getting any help. I don't know why this is, but it is... however that aside there are other fields that get no support and yet we need them. I have less understanding for people doing media studies etc. as I'm not sure that is beneficial really... but there are a lot of people who have no interest in being educated... fine don't be, there are many people who want to be and pay... fine pay, but there are also many people who want to be but can't pay... maybe it should be means tested? then it might be fair for all

What I said is exactly true. You friend will be doing a nursing degree. People are not being asked to pull money out of their own pockets. They get loans. No one should have to pay less as they come from a poor background.

All fees should be the same, regardless of background.
22 November 2012, 00:04,
I want to be a paramedic, with all the cut backs theres not as many bursaries through the nhs. Lifes full of hurdles and you have to be prepared to take risks and fight for what you want to do.
22 November 2012, 00:06,
(22 November 2012, 00:04)Metroyeti Wrote: I want to be a paramedic, with all the cut backs theres not as many bursaries through the nhs. Lifes full of hurdles and you have to be prepared to take risks and fight for what you want to do.

Join the TA army hospital on Tyneside they help fund your training.

22 November 2012, 00:08,
Knocked back from the army because of tattoos, other wise I would be in
22 November 2012, 00:13,
(22 November 2012, 00:08)Metroyeti Wrote: Knocked back from the army because of tattoos, other wise I would be in

Cor thats not bloody fair !!!, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that.