Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what happens next?
23 February 2013, 16:26,
So what happens next?
I am in awe of the knowledge of some of the contributors to this site, really, and it makes interesting reading. Just a few points though. If something really does go wrong, and I mean horribly wrong, what exactly are you all going to do? I understand the principle of bugging out with your family/group and keeping a nice collection of weapons to defend yourself. Yes, fine. I can see the point of long discussions about the Law and how to start up a new society, and all the scenarios that would entail. But, what are you going to do when your supplies run out; when you can't get fuel and you really are on your own?

When you have finished shooting all unwanted intruders and probably your own feet in the process; when all the bunnies and pheasants have been decimated by hunters who haven't given a though to the fact that animals need a breeding break or they simply become extinct, how are you going to survive? If the Tesco fairy isn't delivering to a store next to you, could you find ways to provide yourselves with the necessary basics?

I'm talking about food. I have no doubt that most people could find some sort of shelter, and could probably fix it up to some standard. But what about producing, growing or finding a long term supply of food. Have any of you taken any courses in animal husbandry, horticulture, cookery or farming practices?

If your nice BOV is now stranded without fuel or any hope of getting it and you are now reliant on horsepower, could you successfully look after your equine friends? Would you be able to deal with the basic ailments? Sort out foot problems? I've been riding since I was 5 and I am still learning.

It seems to me that things (post whatever) would go straight back to pre-Victorian times, possibly even earlier, and the old ways of doing things would be the new ways.

I reckon if you could tick about 50% of the following, you might stand a chance....

Do you know how and why a septic tank works? Could you construct one? If there is no power to run the local sewage system you will need to sort out your sanitation. Trust me, latrine pits do not hack it in the long run. Or how about a composting toilet?

Do you know the gestation periods for the basic farm animals - cow, sheep, pig, goat, poultry? If you want fresh meat you had better find out. Would you recognise the basic problems for any of the above animals - do you know anything about poultry ailments, or how to organise breeding cows, sheep or pigs?

Do you know which woods are the best for burning?

Could you organise and carry out a farming roster to enable you to crop wheat (bread, pasta), oats (animal feed), barley (beer) and possible some of the oil-bearing crops? Would you know when to plant and harvest?

Could you organise a kitchen garden and plant enough crops to give you something to eat year-round?

Do you have any knowledge of herbs and their medical/culinary uses? Could you treat someone with a sore throat, bronchitis or an upset stomach from your garden?

Do you know where your free hedgerow food is? Blackthorn, sweet chestnut, cobs, brambles, damsons, cherry plums, and possibly (lucky you) the odd walnut tree? Could you make wine from the hedgerows?

Do you know how salt is made? Have you ever seen a salt pan and could you make one? Salt is a major pre-requisite for the preservation of food and pretty vital really.

I am assuming that you would be able to find a supply of water, but just in case it is contaminated, could you set up a purification system, or even an extension reed bed filter?

Seems to me that the most basic requirements are not what sort of guns you have in your arsenal but how you are going to feed your family in the long term. With so many people now so disconnected from Ma Nature and the turning of the seasons, I should despair really.

Bonne chance!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
23 February 2013, 17:33,
RE: So what happens next?
This year i have been told will be a turning point in our civilisation. We will keep getting struck with more and more meteors,small comets. You will not hear any of this on your mainstream. We have now over 200 volcanos going off and the usual number for volcanos in any given year is 4/5 and that aint counting the ones underwater, the ones we cannot see. There will be a huge earthquake around 2nd April give or take 40hrs either way on the Pacific Rim. If it aint the largest 1 we have ever had then it will be in the top 5. After this i will advice anyone to start forming groups and arrange meeting points. Has anyone heard of the point 8 on the Ricter about 2 weeks ago near New Zealand ? the tsunimi swamped some local islands wiping out 3 vilages. They dont know how many died or are missing because the islands are remote. They are still finding bodys washing up. Yes we will need skills so get swapping ideas and phone no,s when it go,s down then TPTB will pull the plug and dissapere into there rats lair. You need to wake up earlier then the rest because once the majority finds out whats comming all hell will break loose and its time to head for the hills. Have you got a full tank,supplies and a bolt hole ?
23 February 2013, 17:48,
the reason MOST people come onto prepping forums is not for the chit-chat but to amass INFORMATION, to find out ways of doing this and doing that, i know that is why i started on forums, first the American ones(bit too much bullets and ammo for me)then eventually found a UK site.i have amassed a wealth of information in just over 3 short years, i also have a wife who is a country girl, was a stockwoman, went to Bicton Agricultural College and is a keen gardener and herbalist, i was a self employed gardener, have had several allotments with varying degrees of success, i grew up in the suburbs, a son of a farmers daughter and spent much time in the countryside, was a boy scout and first aider. we spent 10 years in Glastonbury amongst the "alternative" community which only increased our love of the countryside and all things natural, it also removed us further from "normal" society (of which i was NEVER a part) and the "straights/sheeple" view of anything different.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 February 2013, 18:22,
Theres zero point in having any of what you said if you cant defend it.
Guns, spears, crossbows or whatever.
A fair few of us on this forum aim for the type of life you describe after.
The right of passage to get there will be hard and dangerous.
As b.p. Said the aim of being a prepper is to amass knowledge to enable you to survive come what may or at least have a better chance than your average sheeple. We amass skills and knowledge and stores in the hope that we never need to use them.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
23 February 2013, 18:30,
(23 February 2013, 18:22)Prepper1 Wrote: Theres zero point in having any of what you said if you cant defend it.
Guns, spears, crossbows or whatever.
A fair few of us on this forum aim for the type of life you describe after.
The right of passage to get there will be hard and dangerous.
As b.p. Said the aim of being a prepper is to amass knowledge to enable you to survive come what may or at least have a better chance than your average sheeple. We amass skills and knowledge and stores in the hope that we never need to use them.

well said Prepper 1, the reason to have stores of food and other essentials, is not to live on for the rest of your life(however long that is) but to enable you to keep your head down whilst all the sheeple are losing theirs!Big Grin once it is safe you can then start to live the life mentioned above, i think a lifestyle a bit like an English Amish(without the religion) may be achieveable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 February 2013, 19:23,
Sounds good to me...TongueTongueTongue
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
23 February 2013, 19:28,
I am new to this site therefore i have no past that can be verified but alied with that i have no reason to mislead anyone about the comming events. I came here to look for like minded people because by the end of this year who ever is left standing will be the forefathers of the next adventure. I do have some skills but know i will not make it alone. The first 6 months will be hell with wondering lunatics looking to relieve you of your goods and woman folk. I have a young child to protect and know i cannot do this alone. My head hurts trying to wake people i know and care for up. I dont think they will react untill its too late no petrol, no communication,s or supplies. If i have not left the city by then i can see them in my dreams turning up at my home expecting help. I know what i must do and i will have to do it. I will give them some rice and send them on there way because it will be a situation where i cannot carry anyone. I have never been more certain in my life what is going to happen and have been at people warning them with a raised voise that some now chose to stay away and they will be in for a little shock if they turn up here looking for help. Like i said i want only to be with likeminded folk now then atleast we will have a better chance then most at getting through what is comming. I am preppared, i am still adding stuff like 4 new 10w solar panels i just ordered of ebay to charge my batterys up. I intened to flee to the hills and disapere into the country side when the time comes. I would like to be part of a group but also i would flee and hope to meet decent people on my travels. The timing part is crucial. If i leave to early i can always come back. Dont take my word for it get on the internet and check it out. This whole economy is ready to explode and its all planned by people richer and cleverer then us, the middle east is on fire so do you think this is just a distraction ? take some advice and throw your TV into he bin
23 February 2013, 19:37,
Billy, you seem to have a grasp of the essentials, but listen to more wiser and knowledgeable people than me, like SD and NR, SS knows what he's talking about and Prepper 1 makes sense, try and take it easier, the world is not going to blow up tomorrow, maybe next year it will happen but not tomorrow, try taking smaller steps you cant do it all at once. i would say i know your trying to help others but be careful who you tell you are prepping, there is something called OPSEC or personal security, or as they said in WW2" the walls have ears"Big GrinBig Grin
23 February 2013, 19:49,
Heck there is a lot of question there Mary, I will do the best to answer them as I see them.

For a start, we should all try and do things as close to normal that is possible, life will be easier if we could achieve that,... so in our case we plan to remain where we are, in the area we know well,.. Our location we think is about as safe a place as we could get,... apart from chat on site, we have no plans or ideas about what happens with law and order, I am thinking that there will be a long difficult journey before we ever get to that

If the situation was as dire as your scenario describes, then there is going to be a lot less people around here than there is now, so wild life will increase rather than decrease,..so food shouldn't be a problem, if you know where to find it and bring it down,... the idea is to store as much as we can now, and supplement the stores with fresh food when we can,...of course the stores we save up now will run out, by that time I am hoping that we will be fine with our own grown food in the growing season, inc fruit trees.. and revert to the deer in the winter,... I sold a small farm to come to the location I am in now, so know the ways of animals and food,..I hope enough, I could certainly deal with sheep and poultry,... but I don't know a lot about your horses

Many people forget about toilets,.. the best way would to probably construct an `earth toilet` is that what they are called, when the waste is broken down over time, and can be used to fertilizer the fields/garden

I know little about medical matters but Bracken is a registered home carer, so although not a fully qualified person,.. knows enough I think to get by on this score

We have very little in the way of defensive weapons, we dont think that we would need too many up here,... we have some, but the `bigger` weapons were bought mainly for getting food, and you do need something a bit bigger than a pellet gun to bring down a deer

You are right, life would revert back to the Victorian way of life, but then I really wouldn't mind that, I was brought up in similar circumstances, with no electric, no services or any kind,... life would not be easy,... but we would all have to buckle down and do our best
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 February 2013, 20:26,
I'm lucky to have a few other adults with me that have a lot of knowledge in raising animals, growing and processing food, medicine and a wide range of other essential crafts.
It will still be a struggle with much more to learn.

(23 February 2013, 17:33)Billy Wrote: There will be a huge earthquake around 2nd April give or take 40hrs either way on the Pacific Rim. If it aint the largest 1 we have ever had then it will be in the top 5.

Um...any way you could elaborate on this? Even without clarification, I call BS on this one.
Many places may be overdue for a large earthquake, but being able to predict the date of them happening is doubtful.