Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bristol Meet Review
26 February 2012, 11:03,
Bristol Meet Review
Hello everyone

Can I just say a big thank you to everyone that turned up! It was a real pleasure to meet you all.

On Friday I met up with Terry, and a friend of his.
We meet at the King William Inn (I think that was the name) and a guy came up to me and said "Hi, are you ***** (my real name)." I said yes, and we got chatting. He introduced me to his mate, and we went off to find a quieter pub.

During this walk Terry told me about a possibly dangerous situation he caught himself in. I hope you don't mind me saying this tale mate, but it made me laugh so much. I went to the meet with Terry and I had a description of what to look for, a grey cap on the table. Naturally I thought the onus was on me to look for them. Mainly, because I hadn't said what to look for, I thought I'd call Terry when I got there and see who picks the phone up. Terry had a vague description of me (big guy wearing a black hoody and I look like I'd mug you). As it turns out, Terry went up to a big guy in the bar and said "Alright, are you *****?" The guy turns round and said "No, I'm not. What, are you on a date or something?"

Thankfully Terry didn't get a smack in the face or anything. But being told that story did make me laugh. It set up a light hearted atmosphere, and the 3 of us (AlyBear had double booked the Friday) walked about trying to find a quiet pub. We had a great chat and spoke about many different things. All in all, I'm really glad I met them and I think (not sure about their side of the story) that we all got along well.

I look forward to meeting up with them both again in the future.

SATURDAY:

This was the main meet day.

The people that said they were coming down were quite a few. Binary (000111001), RJ, myself, AlyBear, and a few others. So we were all set to meet up.

8pm comes and AlyBear and myself arrive at the pub. We walk to the bar holding my copy of Patriots (come on, that's some good thinking hu? Instant recognition). We were met at the bar by RealityJones, got chatting, then found a table. RJ then recognised Poker, so I went over and checked if it was him. It was. We all sat down and spoke about the usual stuff, how are you, how long have you been into 'camping', then we just got into general chats, like jobs and things like that.

The conversations did get more into the survivalist/prepper things, but not too much. We wanted to keep everything simple and I believe we managed that very well. Travel was a large part of the conversation. Mainly because AlyBear is obsessed with travelling, as as we know with RJ, he's been around the world twice. So that kind of dominated a large part of conversation haha. In all seriousness, we spoke abit about everything, survival, prepping, ourselves, jobs, travel, things like that. It was varied and fascinating to see sides of a cube that I never thought of, because I was busy seeing other sides.

As a social, I think everything went very well. Everyone got on fine, and we all spoke about quite a few things.

I apologise if people had gone to the pub but had not seen me walking around the pub a few times with 'Patriots'. We did leave it on the bar table near the common walking area, incase someone walked past looking for us.

All in all, it was a good social meet, just like Friday.

To everyone that attended, thank you all so much for coming. I hope you enjoyed everything as much as I did.

I'll be organising more socials, along with activity events, like camping and the alike.

If everyone that attended could private message me about things they want to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

One thing that RJ said, was something I've been thinking for a while, and that AlyBear and myself partly did on our camping trip. A 2 day BOB trial. We all meet up with our BOBs, then that is it, we set off into the woods for the weekend. It's a great equipment filter, skill session, and much more.

So any events people are interested in trying out, send me a message, and I'll see what we can do.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2012, 11:35,
RE: Bristol Meet Review
Glad it went so well, I hope you all enjoyed it, did everyone manage to get there?, anyone from other groups turn up?

26 February 2012, 12:33,
Hi Mate!

Was good to meet up with you the other day! For everyone else the guy at the bar was looking at his phone about the same time as I saw a text and missed call from S13. I saw that he'd just put his phone back in his pocket and then was getting it out again so decided to go up.

His response was a tad ott imho but I laughed it off with "Am just waiting for my brothers mate!". No more trouble from him but he looked a thug, drinking in Bristol makes you think on your feet Smile

How many turned up on the Saturday?

Ter

26 February 2012, 14:47,
Hi Terry

Should have guessed you'd be first to reply. It was great to meet you as well.

We had 4 people on Saturday. Myself, AlyBear, RJ, and Poker.

In response to NR, Terry had a friend from another forum come along on Friday.

The whole 2 days were full of fascinating insights and ideas.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 February 2012, 16:07,
Excellent, damn well done chaps, keep it up.

26 February 2012, 17:22,
I had a good time, it was good to meet up with people in the flesh so to speak.
I recognised S13 and A.B. as soon as they walked up to the bar from the pics they had posted on this forum ( you might want to think about taking down the ones that show yr faces Scythe) and Poker was behind me at the bar, again I recognised him from his profile pic.

It was a pity we couldn't all meet up on the same night, let's hope that isn't a problem when we arrange the next meet up.
I was thinking maybe we should try to meet up once a month in a pub and in between for any little excursions like trying the BOB weekend that S13 and I spoke about.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

27 February 2012, 05:56,
Well done lads, I'm very pleased it went well. Do keep meeting regularly and camp once or twice a year. It seems it could develop into a very good group. Kenneth Eames.
9 March 2012, 14:11,
Seem to have missed all the latest threads; must try to sort out my subscriptions. Anyway, good to meet you all however long back it was.
Andy, the Pokerbird
9 March 2012, 14:32,
Like the idea about using "Survivors" as a means to be recognised.
A (somewhat more obscure) means of being identified would be to have the number 95.143.193.148 or 82.165.76.187 displayed somewhere.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
9 March 2012, 14:41,
(9 March 2012, 14:32)Skvez Wrote: Like the idea about using "Survivors" as a means to be recognised.
A (somewhat more obscure) means of being identified would be to have the number 95.143.193.148 or 82.165.76.187 displayed somewhere.

I was going to suggest everyone writes ANARCHY on their foreheads or the back of their hands, but knowing the Bristol mob they would end up writing Anchovy !!!!!Tongue