Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Yorkshirelass
15 March 2012, 13:43,
Hello from Yorkshirelass
Hi there

Ive been watching this forum for some time and as a result kitting myself out with various gear. Much better than the rather extreme US forums although I am alarmed that some of you would consider shooting my cute shetland ponies as a food source!

Just one question . Whilst I am fortunate to live in the countryside, down a farm track, away from major conurbations and with a large garden and field, I do have 2 reasonable sized towns a couple of miles away. It seems to me that there would be a good chance in the event of a catastrohic event, that the urbanites would come streaming out to the farms and remote cottages etc when they have exhausted their own supplies. As a single (unarmed) female (thankfully no sprogs) I consider myself at risk from looters attemptimg to pillage my hard earned kit and food.

Any suggestions would be welcolme apart from buying a gun! I have a couple of neighbours (unless they bugger of of course!) and we could erect a couple of farm gates between us and the road (locked in place ) but beyond that and concealing my stuff, not drawing attention to myself by having lights on etc I am unsure what measures I could take.
15 March 2012, 13:48,
RE: Hello from Yorkshirelass
Hello and welcome Yorkshirelass
Failure is NOT an option
15 March 2012, 14:00,
hello and welcome from Sheffield
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
15 March 2012, 14:01,

Afternoon!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
15 March 2012, 14:02,
(15 March 2012, 13:43)Yorkshirelass Wrote: Hi there

Ive been watching this forum for some time and as a result kitting myself out with various gear. Much better than the rather extreme US forums although I am alarmed that some of you would consider shooting my cute shetland ponies as a food source!

Just one question . Whilst I am fortunate to live in the countryside, down a farm track, away from major conurbations and with a large garden and field, I do have 2 reasonable sized towns a couple of miles away. It seems to me that there would be a good chance in the event of a catastrohic event, that the urbanites would come streaming out to the farms and remote cottages etc when they have exhausted their own supplies. As a single (unarmed) female (thankfully no sprogs) I consider myself at risk from looters attemptimg to pillage my hard earned kit and food.

Any suggestions would be welcolme apart from buying a gun! I have a couple of neighbours (unless they bugger of of course!) and we could erect a couple of farm gates between us and the road (locked in place ) but beyond that and concealing my stuff, not drawing attention to myself by having lights on etc I am unsure what measures I could take.

Hello, welcome, think security in layers, I assume you have tools for personal Security such as a knife, perhaps bow, or mutt, But basically you need to work backward from the end of the lane to your front door. You cannot stop a determined attack but you may make it not worth the while and peruade the city sheeple to try an easier target.

I would start by investing in a few good sized rolls of barbed or razor wire to block off the end of the lane WTSHTF, immediately plant, replant, move or encourage thorny prlants like blackthorn, brambles, nettles etc across the lane.

Back to the edge of your property get planting nasty spoiky vicous shrubs around your garden to make a vicous barrier.

Fit BS3621 door locks, fit double glazing and safety laminating film to the windows.

Make the place look unappealing or difficult to get into, build a bug our bag, train the ponies to pull a cart, a bug out cart that can carry you to safety and be your transport after TSHTF.

15 March 2012, 14:11,
Welcome,

Sorry about the ponies but we try and be realistic. When it came down to it I'm sure you would enjoy, maybe guiltily, the meat.

As far as you place goes I am in broad agreement with NR.

I think many town folk will get quickly discouraged from exploring the countryside too far from their home. If they come across a house they will investigate. I'm of the mind to make it look uninhabited and not worth while. Bushes like NR says, barbed wire outside but you need to hide your stuff. Dig a big hole and hide your stash in it. Let them come while you watch from a remote hidey hole. Remove the doors yourself in an event and put them back up when visitors stop coming.

The big issue you will have with not being armed is one day people will come along, long after an event, and a single female may be seen as an easy target. Get a shotgun, practise with it on cardboard boxes, put it away and hope you never have to use it. But if you do need it you will have it. Much better than any weapon against someone who has survived an event, lived long enough so you feel safe. How exactly is he going to do that, charm and good manners?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 March 2012, 14:15,
Hi from sunny Manchester...
Out of site out of mind is a good aproach as well.
If theres nothing of value, there may be no interest in your direction but as S.D. says you are a lonesome female so you need to sort something out there.
Maybe the shotty licence or some such thing, maybe a safe room you can bolt to and hide should you have unwelcome guests, with possible traps along the way you can avoid but they dont know are there.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
15 March 2012, 14:41,
Mike,

The problem with a safe room is that it is also a trap. Fine when Plod will get to you within a few hours... sorry minutes but after an event they just camp out and wait. Now if there is a shotgun in there then fine but to me a shotgun is the only real solution. Don't forget she will need it to get rid of foxes and hunt.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 March 2012, 15:01,
(15 March 2012, 14:02)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(15 March 2012, 13:43)Yorkshirelass Wrote: Hi there

Hello, welcome, think security in layers, I assume you have tools for personal Security such as a knife, perhaps bow, or mutt, But basically you need to work backward from the end of the lane to your front door. You cannot stop a determined attack but you may make it not worth the while and peruade the city sheeple to try an easier target.

I would start by investing in a few good sized rolls of barbed or razor wire to block off the end of the lane WTSHTF, immediately plant, replant, move or encourage thorny prlants like blackthorn, brambles, nettles etc across the lane.

Back to the edge of your property get planting nasty spoiky vicous shrubs around your garden to make a vicous barrier.

Fit BS3621 door locks, fit double glazing and safety laminating film to the windows.

Make the place look unappealing or difficult to get into, build a bug our bag, train the ponies to pull a cart, a bug out cart that can carry you to safety and be your transport after TSHTF.

Thanks for that. I have double glazing and am considering the laminated glass (quite cheap it seems). Im not convinced about the thorny bushes though because if people are desperate they willl simply climb stone walls to avoid them and I cant secure the entire perimeter with them any way. Also do you not think barbed wire says "someone lives here and has something you want".

I am in the process of training the ponies to be used as pack animals (well one of them) rather than pull a cart as the ground around here is too rough for a cart and I would avoid roads at all costs if I had to leave. Thay are very strong and manoevrable little beasties and can withstand extremes of weather and subsist on meagre rations. Ideal survival companion in my mind. In the USA horses are commonly used as pack animals but its difficult to get the right gear in this country.

My gut feeling is a gun but the registration process looks complex. I may consider a rifle type air gun which to the layperson looks just like a rifle (as deterant) and does not need a firearms licence.

I also include a list of my kit and would be most grateful for any comments

Bug Out Bag

Webtex steel of fire knife firestriker and torch/whistle (extra batteries for latter x10)
Small first aid kit, spray on antiseptic, and hand sanitizer
Water purification tabs 50
Warterproof matches 2 x 25
Emergency silver thermal bivy bag
Space blanket x2
Firestarter tinder card 8 sheets
British army issue MRE and snacks about 2/3 days worth
Chemical food heater x3
Basic face mask
Military grade 12 hour light sticks x3
wind up and battery radio with torch plus AA batteries
small sheet of plastic for waterproofing in case bag leaks
Colins SAS survival book
Latex gloves
Gardening type gloves
Painkillers
Compass
Colins guide food for free
Extra batteries for fenix p3 torch (carried on person)
Packet paper hankies
Wind up 3 led torch

Carried on keyring

Swedish military firesteel
Small push button led torch
Led lenser 7830 torch
Maybe need to add small multitool?

Carried in jacket

Fenix P3D torch + extra batteries
Couple of fruit bars
Zippo lighter
Painkillers
Hankies
Hand sanitizer

Carried in Car

Large first aid kit + face mask
British Military MRE + snacks/fruit bars
Wind up Torch
5 LED torch
Space blanket x2
Water 3 litres
Long wax waterproof jacket + wide rim hat
2 x 12 hr light sticks
Packet of zippo firelighters
Girly scream alarm thingy

Carried in Handbag

Swiss army champ knife/multitool
Hand sanitizer
Painkillers

MISC
(wont fit in BOB)

10 x 8 camo tarp and bungees
12 led wind up/battery lantern
Loads of big candles
About 5 cheap plastic lighters
Military mess tins
Small monocular
Paracord
Strong green tape
Hand warmers
Steel hot drink flask
2 x space blankets spare

Reading

When all hell breaks loose: Stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes
Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft
Wilderness Survival for Dummies

15 March 2012, 15:25,
Registration process is not that complex. £50 plus photos and a sponsor as such plus cost of gun of course.

Although an air rifle may look deadly and have the whingey whiney people wetting themselves if you have to use it the difference will quickly be detected.

If I was in your situation I wouldn't be bugging out, unless a nuclear issue, but would build a hidey hole for you to retreat to in an emergency.
Skean Dhude