Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Living on the edge March 2012
29 March 2012, 09:11,
Living on the edge March 2012
Hi Everyone.

After burning my mouth on McDonalds Porridge, I'm now getting round to posting about my latest mini adventure.

The Scene:
I have just finished meeting wholesaler managers and directors in Swansea. Next up I'm off to Pembroke. A nice drive just over an hour and I'm sat in my car in the Premier Inn carpark. As the towering purple sign leers over me, I have 1 thought...."F**k this is going to be boring." So begins a lovely long drive around the coast, with no phone signal to get my iPhone map working.

I end up at a dead end in a national trust site, 'Stakepole Quarry'. Considering the car was already in a carpark, I figured....Yeah, let's see what we've got. BOB and GHB. It seemed as good a time as any to test out how good my kit is.

The kit proved to be very mobile and light (but could be lighter).

Walking along the cliff edge was a bit windy, so I knew I wouldn't be staying on the top of the cliff. As I trekked along, a small ledge caught my eye. It was about 6 meters (I thought it was 7 or 8, which I told AlyBear, but double checked this morning and it's more like 6 meters) down from the top. There was enough space to try out my new ultra light Vango mat, maybe get a poncho up for shelter.....SOLD!!! I had to have it.

Next thing I know I've climbed down and am lay in my sleeping bag, on my mat, reading 'Patriots' (yes I'm still reading it. I said I was a slow reader).

The air was warm, the rocks had heated up from solar gain, it was toasty and beautiful.

The stars came out and I was enjoying the sight of the odd shooting star and checking out the constellations.

I get my head down and catch some sleep. I then wake up later on shivering. That's when I remember something "BOLLOCKS! I've not got a single sleeping bag liner with me!" That led to my first use of a space blanket. And yes, they work! I was warm and toasty, really comfortable. It was brilliant. The sky was full of stars looking so amazing. Again, shooting stars and a couple of satellites.

A few hours after that I wake up shivering again. My legs were a bit damp. I thought "Damn it, I've not peed myself have I?" I thought my hand must have been on something cold, like a rock, and it had the same effect as putting a sleeping persons hand in cold water. Thankfully, no, I hadn't wet myself. It was my legs sweating from the space blanket. Damn it! Why didn't I bring a sleeping bag liner?!?!

After a bit of wiggling to get the blood flowing, nice and warm. Tightened the sleeping bag draw-cord, that stopped and breeze from getting to my sweaty-self, so I was once again nice and warm. Stars above me, shooting stars, etc.

Suddenly "BEEP BING DING DADING" my alarm was going off on my phone. As AlyBear knows, I have 4 alarms that go off every morning. So I stayed up and took a few photos of the little fishing boat going off in the morning.

It was a great experience!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 March 2012, 14:16,
RE: Living on the edge March 2012
PHOTOS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73883511@N0...9329393164
29 March 2012, 16:07,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73883511@N0...880298286/
29 March 2012, 17:35,
that looks amazing S13! I wish I'd woken up to that view Smile
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
29 March 2012, 17:53,
Looks good but I'd be up in the middle of the night for the loo and ........ splash.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 March 2012, 18:48,
(29 March 2012, 17:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: Looks good but I'd be up in the middle of the night for the loo and ........ splash.

Splash?? What all down your leg?

I'd probably have rolled of the ledge in the middle of the night .
to be honest I would have chosen somewhere more sheltered. You were lucky that the weather was on your side Scythe, if it had started to rain in the night it would have been a miserable wet sleep and any strong wind (stop sniggering at the back) would could have whipped some severe sea spray.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

29 March 2012, 23:29,
That's fair RJ. I was decked in a pretty poncho, but had a spare poncho and space blankets, just in case. Also an emergency shelter, bu I've not tried that, so it could be totally poo.
2 April 2012, 09:11,
Looks cool. I move about in my sleep WAY too much to sleep there!
2 April 2012, 15:02,
I move about in my sleep, occasionaly sleep walk and need too many wee's.
I'd last about 5 minutes before I forgot where I was and walked off the edge...
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
2 April 2012, 15:05,
(2 April 2012, 15:02)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I move about in my sleep, occasionaly sleep walk and need too many wee's.
I'd last about 5 minutes before I forgot where I was and walked off the edge...

i roll over a lot, so i'd probably turn over and roll off the ledge!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.