Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Woodland Free Food
28 April 2012, 20:25, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2012, 20:27 by Scythe13.)
Woodland Free Food
Hi Everyone

I'm back already from the weekend in the woods....and it's still Saturday! That's right, I backed out before it was all over. There's apparently a beast of a storm headed this way, and since I had a banging headache on Friday when I set off, and my shelter wasn't what I had hoped (not enough practice, not perfect materials either) the sensible thing to do was to back out, as I had completed the challenge ahead of time.

That's right, the challenge. I should probably explain that if you're not sure what happened.

Well, basically g79 issued a basic challenge about how easy it would be to get food for 24 hours for each member of your Bugging Out Team (BOT). The idea is that if your BOT is made up of 10 people, you have to be able to provide enough food for all 10 people, for a minimum of 24 hours. Thankfully my BOT consists of Scythe13 (me), myself, and I. So the food requirements are not as big as some other preppers who have teams of 4 adults and 2 kids, or anyone with a family. Granted I had an advantage having to find food for 1 person, but as I'll explain, the process was still fascinating and fun.

One thing I'd like to say before I go into depth with this. I went into this knowing it was going to be heard! People are always telling us it's hard to find food, and they say how difficult it is. We hear about people starving in the woods and things like that. So believe me, I knew this wasn't going to be an easy walk in the park.

There's a summary at the bottom and a link for photos. But if you read the whole thing, it would be appreciated, and it gives you plenty of things to mock me for as well haha.

Friday at 4pm I set off on my walk, stocked up with my BOB and....well, that was it. My BOB and phones for photos. If you've not done a test Bug Out, you really should. It's a real eye opener, even if you have bugged out a couple of times, changing seasons lead to a better standard and understanding of your kit.

The destination was simple enough. A big hill I'd never been up, but was covered in trees and woodland! IDEAL!!!

The footpath was long and winding, but when I went under a bridge, I was then confronted by a path straight ahead (away from where I intended on going) or a damn steep up hill, slippery, wet, climb. That's right, I opted for that. Even with the ultra light BOB that I'd kitted with, it was a damn hard climb. The climb itself took longer than the walk to actually get to the bottom of the hill, even though it was at least 3 times shorter!!! There were a few times I thought, I've bitten off more than I can chew here, maybe I should leave my BOB and see how far I have left to go. But stupidity, and not being able to see the top of the hill said "It can't be that far I've been at this for ages!!! A couple more minutes and you'll be there." Well, stupidity won, and lived up to it's name. It took me so long to get up there. I was dripping with sweat, the rain had started and I'd slipped so many times and only just managed to catch myself before my face tasted the dirt!

When I finally got to the top of the hill, low and behold, a beautiful clearing seemed to appear. As the horizon came to eye level and I knew I'd reached the top, there were a few items waiting for me. One of which ended up being the stupid footpath I'd left earlier on!!! Damn National Trust sites!!! I'd just climbed from ground level at the bottom of the hill, above the walk way of Clifton Suspension Bridge, and I was standing at about half way up the top of the suspension bridge towers and the bridge walkway! My first thought was "DAMN IT! I'm not looking forward to going back. I'll take the stupid path back on Sunday."

Beautifully the sky started to clear just long enough to set up the ponchos for my shelter. As a recommendation, don't camp under ponchos! Mine were different sizes, and the studs that clip together were the same size, but at different intervals, so I couldn't peg them together as one sheet! That lead to a very entertaining and frustrating attempt at standardising a system. It didn't work. Had to just accept they were different sizes and work on them having an overlap that wouldn't let in water.

Once the ponchos were set up, it started to rain, so God was looking down at me and thinking, "Right, let's see how good that is" It worked! So that was a real relief. It also worked brilliantly at collecting water in a couple of places, which made gathering and purifying water redundant. If you look at the pictures you can see where I had loads of sticks to shape the ponchos. The idea was that the water would collect in certain places, but if I left it, they would overflow away from me and my stuff underneath.

So far I had learned 2 lessons:
1. Footpaths are not a bad thing to follow.
2. Get a Basha!!!

The next thing to make sure I got was a good nights sleep. Set up a space blanket on the floor, as a ground sheet, and then it was out with the sleeping gear. That was set up and dry, so it was all systems go. Before getting to sleep though I wanted to start on learning about the Foraging book I had in my BOB. In total bluntness, that book has been in my BOB since Christmas, and only AlyBear has really read any of it on our Camping trip in January 2012. It is my most neglected book :-( There were so many plants, I couldn't keep track of what seasons what were in. So I just had a little read and then got to sleep.

Woke up a couple of times in the night. Usually I have my GHB with me, and the padding on the back of the GHB makes an awesome pillow! The problem is that the padding and thickness of my BOB doesn't :-( However, I did have some clothes that I stuffed into my 'stuff bag' for the Vango sleeping mat, which made for a surprisingly decent pillow! Slept like a baby from then on.

6am, and I'm awake. Damn Spring. In winter it's not light until much later, and as people, we're programmed to rise when the sun does! Stupid Spring! haha.

Checking my thermometer the temp was just below 10degrees which meant a morning run would be a good way to get the blood flowing and start the day. I got out of bed, and as I went to put my shoes on, my head pushed the poncho up and a load of water tipped off the edge of my poncho right into my left shoe! The only thought was "I really hope the day doesn't go on like this!" Thankfully it didn't.

As I got out from under my poncho, I was struck with a beautiful view of 2 deers playing in the clearing! My snoring mustn't have scared them off! I grabbed my iPhone (for the camera) and spent the next hour stalking the deers and showing my crap skills with a camera. I'd love to have said I could have killed one with a bow and arrow, but they looked so beautiful, I probably could have done it. However, the shot would have been so simple that anyone could have taken one of them down! I'd love to say I could have shot one of them, but the thing is, anyone with a bow and arrow could have! After I stopped taking photos, I just stalked them trying to get as close as I could. At one point I was so close that there was no way I could have taken a bad photo! I pick up my phone, look down at the screen to unlock it. Look up again, and they'd gone, without a sound! But that was an experience I will never forget.

Next up came the job of actually doing the food challenge. I went back to the book and started reading again. The book had so much stuff in it, that it was doing my head in. As I got more and more frustrated, I just thought, right, I'll check out what plants I know (used to be quite into plants as a kid, and my Dad always had me out in the garden) and I'll focus on them. As I refined my search I recognised a few plants that EVERYONE probably knows:
Stickyweed (that stuff you throw on your friends backs and laugh as they walk around with them stuck on)
Stinging Nettles (everyone knows them, and most people hate them)
Dandilions (Didn't realise they were edible, but then the book mentioned dandilion and burdock drinks and I figured I was an idiot for not figuring that out haha)
Grass (Our digestive system doesn't absorb much stuff from it, but chopping it up and chewing it loads can get some nutrients out. It's mainly to help you feel full)

So those were my ingredients to start with. Next up......finding them.

Well, I started off looking for stickyweed, as I'm not a fan of nettles and I didn't have gloves, so was kind of wussing out a bit haha. Pinched off a load of sticky weed tops, took them back to camp, boiled up some water, and hey presto, a snack. Added a few dandillions to the mix and I had a nice little munch. It wasn't nice, but I've NEVER liked veg. To be fair, it didn't taste that different from a normal salad. I don't like salad, and I didn't like what I had found, but if you like salad, you'll be okay with it. Oh, and wash the dandilions loads. You'll probably find insect eggs on the underside of the leaves and although eggs are full of protein, some are probably poisonous, so I'd not recommend eating them.

Ate as much of that as I could stomach, about 3/4 of it, then figured it was time to set off and see what else was around.

Meal 1: Breakfast......Completed.

Armed with a book and an empty bowl, the next mission was simple....lunch!

Walking around I couldn't see any of the plants from the book, other than dandilions, nettles, and stickyweed. Grass isn't in the book, but I remember my college biology teacher telling us we could eat grass and that that is what our appendix used to be for. So it made sense that we could eat it. Plus, as a kid I used to chomp on grass stems quite often when walking in the woods and fields. They often tasted like apple!

Ended up getting so annoyed about walking in the woods and finding nothing that I stopped and thought about Tom Brown from Tracker School in America. I've not been, but I have been watching loads of their views and reading his books. "The pace of the wild is much slower than you're used to. Slow your speed to one tenth that of your normal walking pace. Once you have done that, slow it down some more." Was one of the quotes (maybe not an exact quote, but it was very similar). As soon as I slowed down, I saw the wild for how it really was and I really felt like a part of nature. It was freaky really to actually feel a connection to the things around me. My pace was one step every 10 seconds, or there abouts. Must have looked like a right nutter!!! But suddenly everything came alive!!! Plants that I hadn't noticed suddenly sprung out at me. Flowers popped out where there weren't any before!!! It was such a strange sensation to be observing the world at such a slow pace, but it all felt so natural. It's a feeling you can't explain. Instead of looking at the floor, or a few meters ahead of youself, you were walking so slowly that you had time to take in the world around you.

Then I remember watching a video of a tracker/wildman walking style. I was probably taking it too far doing this, walking like a total fruitcake! But every time I did one of the weird things from a video or a book, the world around came more alive! I was turning my head so slowly, but the visual data was all being absorbed so beautifully that everything around became significant. The world was no longer a mash up of shades of green and brown. It became specific plants, different flowers, animal foot prints (got a few photos of deer foot prints that I would have probably trodden on and ruined if I was walking at my normal pace).

Sorry about that. Went a bit weird then!

Basically I ended up finding so many different plants and I was so fascinated by it all, then I just went back, and picked dandelions, grass, and some fennel. Again, not a spectacular meal, but my mission/challenge was to find enough food to live off. The woods at this time of year (spring) are an abundance of food, if you know what you're looking for.

While still checking out and being fascinated by the plants around, a small wind kicked up and I checked out the weather forecast on my phone. A big ol' storm was headed this way! Considering I'd managed to find food, and LOADS of it, I'd completed the challenge I set out to do! I figured, since I know I can find food in the woods, I've tested my BOB contents and know what to adapt and change, I'm okay terminating this test early, having achieved what I wanted to do, in a much smaller timescale than I thought it would take.

Challenge Completed!

Thank you for reading!

Summary:

Change some BOB Gear (again haha)
Slow down pace in the woods and you'll see so much more around you
Learn a few basics and you'll probably be fine.
Learn a minimum of 5 plants available for each season, then add to them when you have the first 5 down pat and can easily find them!
Have fun!!!
Finding food in Spring in the woods is not as hard as everyone says it is, as long as you know what to look for!

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73883511@N0...919285187/

Side note:
Everyone says it's really hard to find food in the wild. Everyone told me this, and I believed them. I think, however, that everyone has told them, and they've passed on that knowledge without actually having tested it. We've all been guilty of this at one time or another, so there will be no finger pointing or mocking. Yes people were proved wrong. But that wasn't my intention. My intention was to learn and develop as a prepper/survivalist. Oddly enough, the things people have told me are easy have proven to be hard, and the things people say are hard have proven to be easy.

Side note 2:
If anyone is wondering about protein, expand the scale of the things you're willing to eat, and you'll be able to find protein very easily. Worms, ants, crickets, maggots, grubs (from ants, bees, or wasps), and things like that. If you have a spade, you can find LOADS of worms. I was going to get a load of worms and make a worm burger by mashing them up with some spices, but I didn't have the spices with me (sorry Binary Ninja, I did promise, but I left the spices on the kitchen table by accident). If you're willing to do what it takes, food is bountiful in the wild!
I had a horrible feeling that wasn't going to post and I'd have to retype the whole thing again.

As I'm sat here the storm is just outside ready to start, so even though I did wuss out, I believe it was the wise option and I managed to do the challenge anyway. So as far as I'm concerned, the time I spend in the woods was a massive success!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2012, 21:25,
RE: Woodland Free Food
So your food for 24hrs consisted of Grass,dandelions and nettles.How long do you think you can live on just that?

Did you not find any plantain,blackberries, beech leaves and nuts or acorns?

The food you think was O.K. for 24 hrs would only last you a couple of hours at best,you need a more varied and bigger quantity than you found,you probably used more calories finding and preparing it than you actually got out of it.

Considering I'd managed to find food, and LOADS of it, I'd completed the challenge I set out to do!
No you didn't ,you found some food that you didn't like and not enough of it to live on.

I think you have just shown how badly prepared you actually were along with the fact that a bit of wind and rain had you bugging out back home.Is your BOB still not up to scratch?

Not an entirely wasted night out though ,you have shown how difficult it is to find food(you didn't find enough for 1 man for 1 day) even though you think you did.
You have also proven once again that you still think can do these things while actually you cant.
28 April 2012, 21:52,
Hi g79,

Thanks for the feedback. In response to what you've noted

(28 April 2012, 21:25)g79 Wrote: So your food for 24hrs consisted of Grass,dandelions and nettles.How long do you think you can live on just that?

Did you not find any plantain,blackberries, beech leaves and nuts or acorns?

As a simple trial into the woods, to find food, I found loads of those things. Nettles have lots of protein, and are thus a pretty good staple of a diet. Also, I was only going by what was covered in my book, so maybe the book was crap and covered very little?

I didn't check out the acorns, beech leaves, or plantains. Was looking for the different things in the book, but because of the weather, I didn't want to get my book wet and ruined. Blackberries are not in season are they? I did look, but couldn't find any.

(28 April 2012, 21:25)g79 Wrote: The food you think was O.K. for 24 hrs would only last you a couple of hours at best,you need a more varied and bigger quantity than you found,you probably used more calories finding and preparing it than you actually got out of it.

Considering I'd managed to find food, and LOADS of it, I'd completed the challenge I set out to do!
No you didn't ,you found some food that you didn't like and not enough of it to live on.

Please check the pictures to see how much of those plants I found. More than enough to feed at least 10 people for over a week! Also, considering I wasn't looking for meat, I managed to find deer, and cows on the same area as me and get close enough that anyone with a bow and arrow could make a fatal shot and get meat. Anyway it's not hard to find worms so if you're that desperate for protein, there's an easy option.

Granted I didn't like the taste of the food, which is why I didn't bother eating all of it. The thing is, when in a survival situation flavour isn't the highest concern.

(28 April 2012, 21:25)g79 Wrote: I think you have just shown how badly prepared you actually were along with the fact that a bit of wind and rain had you bugging out back home.Is your BOB still not up to scratch?

Spot on, a bit storm is going to send me home. Yes I stopped. I'm not going to be risking my life when I don't need to. An idiot would have stayed out and 'braved the storm'. And you're right, the BOB is still not up to scratch. I never said it was and I always comment saying it's an ongoing process of refinement.

(28 April 2012, 21:25)g79 Wrote: Not an entirely wasted night out though ,you have shown how difficult it is to find food(you didn't find enough for 1 man for 1 day) even though you think you did.

Please refer back to the photos to see how much I actually found before saying that. You'll see that such a comment is totally unfounded and far from true. Of the plants I found, they were bountiful!!!

(28 April 2012, 21:25)g79 Wrote: You have also proven once again that you still think can do these things while actually you cant.

I set out to prove I could find enough food, and I did. If you check the photos, that I keep referring to, then you'd see that I did find enough food to live off. The fact that I didn't sit around and gorge myself on stuff when I firstly didn't need to (it wasn't a real survival situation) and secondly didn't want to (the idea was to find the food. I found it, ate it, it was palateable, and thus am able to find food and prepare it).

Granted there is a great amount I can improve on! I'm not an expert and I'm going off a couple of hours of book reading as well as some prior understanding of some herbs. At what point did I ever say I was an expert? I believe I said it was going to be a hard challenge? Regarding experts, even Ray Mears says he's always learning new stuff!!! If he's still learning, then thats an encouragement for me to keep trying and progressing.

If you note, I said it would be a difficult challenge, and it wasn't that difficult at all. Finding food is easy, finding lots of food is easy. There's fields and fields of rapeseed plants, which have loads of protein in their pollen. If you just went to one of those you could eat like a king for ages!!!

If it was a survival situation, I would have picked more of what I found, I would have set traps, I would have dug up worms, I would have broken open rotting wood to eat grubs and maggots. My mission was to find food for 24 hours. There was lots of it. I tried it, it wasn't delicious, but I could cope and would get used to it.
28 April 2012, 22:41,
I've camped a number of times where you went, I know exactly what you mean by those silly "paths" going from the river to the top as well. Most of them are actually animal runs, there are some paths which have been "paved" with bits of brick and stone right in the middle of nowhere also. Someone took the time to do it but the throughways are strange there. A poacher i've seen on a number of early mornings manages to go places i've never been able to follow.
My ruck has always been on the heavier side and am not as fit as you by any means but I still cant see how he manages it Smile

There are a few people living there semi-permanently, they try to stay off the beaten track but its too small an area to do it succesfully. There are also lots of ticks in the quarry area's (ask me how I know this!).

There are cows seasonally, a few farms nearby. The deer are "wild escapees" from the next door estate. There are mushrooms, apple tree's and hazel and walnuts (in season) in certain parts, strangely lacking in blackberrys, elderberrys and sloes like most of the surrounding area's. Not so many rabbits either. There are a few fish in the stream/pond at the far end. This is where you will see the lean to type shelters built by the "wood school" types and estate kids from not so far away.

Near to the cliff area there is also an old "dump" (trash area) which I guess is from the Estate, found some old glass bottles and a WW1 canteen (half rusted) there. Never dug into it to see if I could find more interesting stuff. The river washes up interesting things also but I'd be wary of using any of it due to pollution. It's too close to the city for me to consider it as a medium or long term BO location.

I dont believe it's possible to survive for extended periods of time on wild foods alone, this is why the human race became agrarians and herders. Am more than happy for people to prove that I am wrong, I dont expect to be able to apply it to myself though.

All the best

Ter
28 April 2012, 22:48,
Get yourself some real kit Scythe, this is some of mine, and yes it’s all army but army works and its cheap, all my family have this and a lot more, kit is an investment that will last many years.

And no you do not need to walk up the street dressed like john rambo just get changed in the woods, it’s all about the gear you’re not trying to be what you’re not by wearing it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GORETEX-TROUSE...415b157970

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-LIG...45fad9fa02

Get DPM they come up from time to time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMY-DESERT-BA...4164dc7cca

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORWEGIAN-TOP-...415b156c66

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-PACK-SELF-WI...415ad7ef0c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-S...45faba08ed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARMY-95-SHIRT-...4601e55d4b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-P...415fefc9d1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PILLOW-TRAVEL-...45fbf67974

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNIPER-SMOCK-B...3f15c9f19e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-S...3ef8bbe2f1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-BIV...3f14acde2b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-D...41610753e2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-S...4147b1f5b5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREME-COLD-W...41586c49e0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MESS-TIN-SET-B...415f41c48a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLEEP-SYSTEM-G...41620376c5

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 April 2012, 23:07, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2012, 23:07 by Scythe13.)
Nice one Terry.

It's a cool place up there. Anyway mate, what are you saying? You're probably much healthier than me. No doubt your lungs suffer less polution than mine, and you're more used to carrying your kit up those hills than I am! I went up the steep slope and damn was that hard, even with my UL BOB!!!

I think it is doable to live off wild food, but I believe we became agrarian because it's less effort. Now that we are that way, it is easier to regulate our diets for optimum health. Does that make sense? I reckon (on no scientific foundation) that we were first foragers, become farmers, which then gave us more food that allowed us to better develop our diets to achieve better health. But that kind of makes sense, if you think about it. We could survive, but it wouldn't be the healthiest way to live.

Also, thanks WnC.

As you know, the kit is an ongoing thing, cutting down weight, improving quality, testing items, keeping what works and changing what doesn't.

Bivi is on my shopping list, but I'm going to check out the emergency bivis that you showed me the other day. For the price, it's worth a trial. Most of the other stuff though is also pretty good. For the waterproofs though, I'll just get my snowboarding stuff. I've got a brilliant jacket that has become part of my BOB, and it's really light. The gloves was just something I should have had and didn't. I'll get a pair from my boarding stuff, same as leggings. The rest of the kit will just be a slow adding, testing, and refining process, I think.

For the pillow though...when I put some soft items, like clothes, into the stuff sack for my camping mat, that was perfect. Which was a nice surprise. I know it's a small bit of kit, a pillow, but a good nights sleep isn't really doable without somewhere to rest the head! You can get them at PoundLand. But a padded stuff sack works too.
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback!
28 April 2012, 23:16,
Not to hijack the thread but this came through on my FB earlier:

http://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/?p=68

That area you were in also has the "Bristol Onion" and "Bristol WhiteBeam", you cant find these anywhere elso but only one is edible. I'd love to have some with some Lundy Cabbage and free range pork but I dont think it'll ever happen Smile

Ter
29 April 2012, 01:17,
For the point raised about expecting not to be able to survive in the wild for extended periods of time & just so these type of thoughts do not dishearten you >>>>>>

Humankind has survived as "Hunter Gatherers" for 99% of the time we have walked on this planet. There are still tribes not yet murdered, living out there that exist this way. It is a perfectly natural, doable way of surviving. In living memory during war years, some of the population resorted to supplementing their diet by "gathering" from the wild. The only problem with trying to live the Hunter Gatherer lifestyle today from our cultural perspective, is that a lot of the knowledge is lost - we think, compared to surviving hunter gatherer cultures in other parts of the globe. That knowledge which does survive is dispersed and transposed through hundreds or thousands of years. So it is a lot more effort to relearn just a fraction of this surviving & retro engineered knowledge nowadays and with us not being subjected to it from birth.
Farming started in the Neolithic period, so in this country that was approx between 4000 and 2500 BC. It was a gradual expansion & development of the domestication of wild animals by hunter gatherers and soon after of edible vegetation at pre determined locations of migrations/seasonal sites. Eventually this led to settling at one of the most favourable locations. Possibly originally by a skeleton "caretaker" crew and later by the whole group/tribe. farming was successful because it enabled a SURPLUS of goods to be produced and so traded on with other groups. This leads to a raised standard of living through the aquisition of greater communal wealth - wether this be in farm land, cattle, horses, tools, resources or other goods. Communities that were settled & practised farming were also more suitable for a power elite to grow on the back of - as a mutually supportive pact (sound familiar??Confused). this led to greater stability - that is until competition for resources & farmland arose. (The American west settlement ended up with a similar result, but on speed and with guns. Yeehar!!)

Today in this modern world of the last few hundred years and especially in recent times with the media and internet revolution, for the first time we have had the ability to compile this knowledge & cross reference it against sources and surviving hunter gatherer communities. This has led to our general popular reawakening of these ancient skills & knowledge. Whilst it will likely never be complete or 100% accurate, it is an ongoing successful historical study that we can put into practical use. Appreciation goes to those few guardians that passed on the knowledge down the generations that has been a key part in our understanding.

Happy studies, TL
29 April 2012, 08:47,
Nice write-up TL. Very informative and much more accurate than my theory, which surprisingly wasn't that far off.

I've got an interesting thing for any preppers living near a train line. The most common edible plants by a train track are apple trees! The reason being that people throw their apples out of the window of the train, and as a result, the seeds start growing and hey presto, an apple tree! Pretty cool hu?
29 April 2012, 10:08,
if you look at some of the native cultures still left, you will find they only spend part of their time hunting/gathering....with quite small hunting parties too....the rest of the time is spent in their village, they make weapons, they prepare and dry food, they have art........they also have lots of kids so they must have lots of time for sex as wellTongue dont sound too bad does it??Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.