Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drug-driving in England, Scotland and Wales
7 May 2012, 13:58,
Drug-driving in England, Scotland and Wales
BBC information [Linky] on yet another way for TPTB to ruin your day.

Roadside tests for when some plod stops you.
First they'll test you for booze, second for drugs.

Curious bit is they aren't specifying what drugs so could you be arrested for taking a cold remedy or simple pain killer like paracetamol.

Some common drugs show up as narcotics (banned substances) in drug test kits so just imagine if your doctor has prescribed something "wrong".

7 May 2012, 14:36,
RE: Drug-driving in England, Scotland and Wales
I am goosed then, most of my prescription medication (Steroids & Inhalators) give false positives. I know this as I used to administer the tests (Urine Test) to former colleagues, and just like them, I was also randomly tested and always failed.
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II
7 May 2012, 14:43,
Having been the victim of a drunk driver, I fail to see the problem with drug drivers getting the same treatment. I really don't care if that person gets an on the spot fine, jail time(my personal preference) and a ban. They choose to get behind the wheel of a car in an unfit state, they should be prepared to take the consequences.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
7 May 2012, 15:09,
i would never get on a motorbike, drive a car or even get on a bicycle whilst under the influence of drink or drugs, ditto whilst using a mobile phone, its called "being in control of your vehicle"! any prescribed medicine says on the advisory notes("about your medication")...." do not operate machinery if you feel drowsy "....its all about taking responsibility for one's actions-something that is sadly lacking in society today.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 May 2012, 15:59,
Pity you took an over the counter decongestant where there are no listed side effects, got stopped for speeding, tested and it still sets off the alarm bells.
False positives are common. More common than is admitted by TPTB.

So now you're arrested on the spot.
Back to the police station, photographed, finger printed and your DNA taken.
You may own a shotgun. Woops, no you don't.
Police came round and took it (just in case).
You go to court to be found innocent. Is that an end to it?
No. Apart from the fact you are now in the system, your job may have gone as your boss fired you to keep his insurance rates low.

Condemn away by all means but it could be you for no more reason than an a simple allergy and a false positive result.

7 May 2012, 17:19,
Yup, I'll condemn away. Speeding is also an offence. If a person chooses to break the speed limit, again they should be prepared to accept the consequences. Everything else mentioned is a direct result of failing to adhere to the Highway code.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
7 May 2012, 17:21,
(7 May 2012, 17:19)TOF Wrote: Yup, I'll condemn away. Speeding is also an offence. If a person chooses to break the speed limit, again they should be prepared to accept the consequences. Everything else mentioned is a direct result of failing to adhere to the Highway code.
you tell em TOF, i was about to say the same thing myself!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 May 2012, 20:38,
Good to know there are at least two law abiding drivers out there who never ever break the speed limits.

Further to drug testing though, this link is full of useful advice on common drugs and medical conditions that can give false positives.

http://passyourdrugtest.com/false-positives.htm

A few to ponder about:-
1. Most common nasal decongestants (Vick inhalers) can cause a positive reading for Amphetamines
2. Ibuprofen false positive to THC
3. Anything with codeine for opiates
4. Amoxicillin (an antibiotic) or tonic water false positive for cocaine
5. Paracetamol in large doses is a false positive trigger as Marijuana

8 May 2012, 13:50,
There are spot checks when they can pull you over just because they feel like it. No offences need be committed at all and they then can test you. It is very common at Christmas. I suspect they think they may get tips. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 May 2012, 13:59,
oh well, if you live in a city you get spot checks, if you live in the country you'll hardly ever see a copper, i havent seen one for 2 years and i havent been pulled over for 8 years or more! i dont go over the speed limit, i dont drink drive( in fact i dont drink anymore) and i dont do drugs! eerr.....whatever happened to being a "Greyman" and keeping a low profile!!Big GrinBig Grin