Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain’s Plutonium stockpile poses big threat to Western Europe
11 July 2012, 17:34,
Britain’s Plutonium stockpile poses big threat to Western Europe
Britain has the biggest stockpile of Plutonium in the world, but there are no definite plans for how to get rid of it - and the delays are costing the UK taxpayer billions, according to news reports.

A record number of radioactive particles have been found on beaches near the Sellafield nuclear plant, in North West England. The authorities who run it admit it’s the most radioactive place in Western Europe but insist it’s safe, Russia Today reported.

Sellafield is where all storage of radioactive materials and nuclear reprocessing in the UK takes place. It was once at the heart of plutonium manufacturing for the British atomic weapons program.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/07/11/...particles/
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
11 July 2012, 19:38,
RE: Britain’s Plutonium stockpile poses big threat to Western Europe
Package it all up and send it overseas. If it has to be fired in a warhead to be safer then that is fine too.
11 July 2012, 19:44,
Carnebwen.
There's no need to send it overseas.
Overseas arrived yesterday, the day before, the day before that, and even before that.
Tomorrow they'll be a new overseas arrival.
Now what you going to do?

11 July 2012, 20:11,
It should be transported and stored in London, its where the politicians and execs from the nuclear industry all live, and London is the biggest user of leccy in the Uk so give them the waste.

11 July 2012, 20:22,
they can put it in the millenium dome to help it not be a big white elephant
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 July 2012, 22:03,
Saw a cutout pinned up about this issue at college. One potential solution is to use it to power new reactors, heasting sodium to produce steam to power turbines. This could power the UK for centuries and largely remove the security risk, as the byproducts have a half life of decades, not millions of years.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
12 July 2012, 05:04,
What new reactors would they be? Nuke energy is sort of ok but I'm a true NIMBY on this issue.
TPTB won't even consider building new nuke power stations though.
It's not "environmentally friendly" or even popular in Europe thanks to the hatchet job the media did after Fukushima.
Personally I'd rather just dig a VERY deep hole in a foreign land and dump the lot!
Somewhere where the EPA can be brought off. The US comes to mind, 3 mile island has a deep hole beneath it. Chernobyl seems like a friendly place too.
I'm thinking Israel might need a few pounds of the stuff in the near future.
That might help balance the UK's books a bit.

12 July 2012, 09:04,
they are supposed to be building a new reactor at Hinckley Point..thats one of the reasons we left Somerset, i dont think they have got past the groundworks stage yet but the project is ongoing.i think that is 1 of 2 planned by EDF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 July 2012, 09:10,
Ironically, they build them miles away from anywhere to reduce the NIMBY effect and as they need water, and lots of it, they have to be near a coast.

Sadly these are the places we like.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 July 2012, 10:08,
good reason to stay away from the coast then, going to the coast is not an option for us..its too far we live in the middle of Devon and any coastal place in the summer-even a wet summer- is heaving with tourists..or emmets as we call them down hereBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.