Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British GM crop scientists win grant
15 July 2012, 08:35,
British GM crop scientists win grant
I saw this a minute ago, I'm still torn about the whole GM subject. I can see the benefit in the improving plants. But I'm not convinced of the safety of the science behind it.

A team of British plant scientists has won a $10m (£6.4m) grant from the Gates Foundation to develop GM cereal crops.

It is one of the largest single investments into GM in the UK and will be used to cultivate corn, wheat and rice that need little or no fertiliser.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18845282

The full story will be on Countryfile tonight.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
15 July 2012, 08:55,
RE: British GM crop scientists win grant
It is advances like this that keep the world fed and will do so into the future. The risk though is that the food seeds don't last more than a year and thus you are reliant on the supplier. In my view you use both, the GM stuff for quick goos crops with the other stuff being for longer term.

You will need the resistance built into the GM stuff for the environments after the event and with our lack of practise. Then on to the regular stuff and by then you have improved your environment and gained some experience.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 July 2012, 09:23,
I've been against GM from the start, the science is a bit too Frankenstein for me and i like to know what in my food.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 July 2012, 09:24,
cant see the prob the yanks have had it for 10 years and they are fine, well not anything that the food had done
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 July 2012, 09:25,
(15 July 2012, 09:24)Barneyboy Wrote: cant see the prob the yanks have had it for 10 years and they are fine, well not anything that the food had done

you reckon?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 July 2012, 13:34,
The thing is GM foods are mutating beyond there original design.
GM foods were "modified" to resist bacterial and pest infestations.
It's been proven that all they have done is make an existing pest problem harder to cure as the targeted insects have become resisitant to the poisons within the GM plants.
GM Grasses are suddenly producing poisons. http://www.hangthebankers.com/gm-grass-l...le-deaths/

GM modified canola oil has been proven to affect humans at a cellular level.

It's just like one learned scientist said. "Nature corrects what it sees as an abnormality".

I think this is the real danger of GM engineering because if the experts get it wrong, nature could produce highly virolent bug or poisonous plant that could take us all out.

15 July 2012, 13:36,
you interfere with mother nature at your peril.
15 July 2012, 14:42,
not sure i agree with alot of that, as long as the group follow correct scientific procedure we'll be fine, im all in favour of genetic modification myself, for instance most plants have too much chlorophyll and if you reduce the amount they have by half then they can produce 30% more biomass, which is a radical increase, agree with it or not, gm in all its forms, from designer humans and animals to crops and a multitude of other things, is going to be commonplace in the future.

also nature gets things wrong alot of the time, alot of the initial changes scientists make other than pest resistance, are just simple increases to productivity and correcting small mistakes Tongue
15 July 2012, 15:11, (This post was last modified: 15 July 2012, 15:17 by Prepper1.)
If you look at what they're doing in the U.S. now they are trying to stop "normal" folks growing their own foods.
Having to be registered and buy license's etc...
Demonizing you and labeling you as being "strange " and "weird" for even wanting to grow your own foods.
Monsanto who own most of the patents sow seeds near farms and when their franken crop accidentally overgrows onto the small holding they sue them for illegally growing their crops and steal their profits from selling the crop as their own.
They want it to be illegal to grow anything but their seeds, which are generally sterile and wont go to seed therefore making you utterly dependent on them for your supply of seeds and therefore food.
Henry Kissinger once said "whoever controls the food controls the people"
G.M. crops of ANY kind are done for their benefit NOT ours.

Open your eyes... whatever any politician says is for the good, is for their own good or the good of somebody they know, not us.
It never has been nor will it ever be truth that comes from a politicians mouth.
Just look at the recent story in the Mail about George Osbourn's father in law being "accidentally" paid for doing a job that didn't have a salary attached to it.
Just another "honest" mistake that they'd like you to never find out about.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
15 July 2012, 15:25,
http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/03/23/is...s-illegal/

Monsanto bit of a long read this:

http://bestmeal.info/food/monsanto.shtml#videos

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ