Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New to this so let's get started
30 July 2012, 10:32,
Big Grin  New to this so let's get started
Hi everyone I'm 23 and from Devon, I'm compleately new to prepping and can't wait to get started... But unfortunately I need to wait until I get paid first Tongue

I guess I kind of started a while ago in that I've always got a couple of bags of pasta, some porridge and cupa soups and noodles lying around but I've never really propperly stored food or any other useful items for teotwawki situation (just bought it as it was cheap, stores fairly well so I'll always have a little food if I need it) I've been reading a few of the preppers sites but I realised most were American, they still have good ideas but as we can't legaly own guns here (without firearms certificate) except airguns that changes things for us... We need to get creative... I'm thinking air rifle and crossbow as well as learning how bows, arrows and bowstrings were traditionally made so I can make a back up when the air rifle pellets/crossbow bolts eventually run out.

I think my main problem is my plan to meet up with my family who are not preppers and live 260 miles away in Sussex and have no survival skills (except martial arts) not really sure what to do in this situation as it seems they kind of believe the majority of people's cry of "the goverment will fix things" although they do store some food it normally works out about a weeks worth (and as most have about 3 days worth apparently I guess that's a step in the right direction)

Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to learning alot from you all and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the knowledge of this group Smile
30 July 2012, 10:49,
RE: New to this so let's get started
Welcome to the site.
30 July 2012, 11:28,
hello and welcome from a fellow Devonian. remember to "store what you eat & eat what you store"...dont buy something just because its cheap if its not something you normally eat. and "rotate, rotate, rotate", new tins go on the back of the shelf, older tins to the front so that the oldest gets used first.(pardon me, if you already know this!Angry)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 July 2012, 11:49,
hello and welcome from norfolkSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 July 2012, 12:23,
Hello from East Anglia! Smile
30 July 2012, 12:29,
Welcome. I would suggest that you look at the main site first and then go to the start here sections and work your way through. It should make things easier. Then when you come to do your planning you will have specific questions which you can ask here.

Have fun.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 July 2012, 13:05,
Thank you for the welcome everyone

@bigpaul I definately agree with that and luckly I do eat what I buy, but thank you for the advice its appreciated Smile

Will do skean I think I've read a couple when I was first looking into what prepping was but I will definately be looking through them as they are there to help newbies like me Big Grin
30 July 2012, 14:49,
Aloha from Durham, take SDs advice and read first Smile
NR

30 July 2012, 16:42,
Welcome from the West of Scotland, read and enjoy. Kenneth Eames.
31 July 2012, 08:44,
hi from south yorkshire