Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coldest winter for 100 years.
29 September 2012, 11:51,
Coldest winter for 100 years.
I can see most of us using our prepping skills very soon, according to the news, we are facing one of the coldest winters in over 100 years, No lorries being able to get to super markets, power lines down because of snow and whatever else comes with it, According to some folk, Some parts of the u'k could be facing minus 16...yes 16...
I'm fighting with the council because I want a log burner in my living room and need the fireplace open and they are having none of it...
29 September 2012, 11:59,
RE: Coldest winter for 100 years.
Council are swines, they would probably argue to use your central heating as theyre stupid.good luck with that.
29 September 2012, 12:15,
Think you could be reading 2 year old headlines there, PD. Carry on prepping!

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
29 September 2012, 12:17, (This post was last modified: 29 September 2012, 12:19 by Prepaday.)
My house is falling to bits, the skirting boards don't meet the walls, the corners don't meet...they said...stick some newspaper down the boards and cork the top...thought that would have been a fire hazard....They are as useful as a chocolate fire guard ! I can see me taking the kids away from school for a good few weeks and getting in the mini bus, packing the tent and going somewhere warmer for the winter, Stuff what the education authority think...O really don't care, they don't learn owt at school anyway !

It was on the news and I double checked today and the date was today Smile Some of the artical was referring to a few years back but it did say THIS YEAR.....I think? lol...Didn't have my coffee at that time and eyes were still half shut Smile
29 September 2012, 12:22,
they also said we would have one of the hottest summers in 100 years this year it turned out to the the wettest in 30 years lol
29 September 2012, 14:26,
(29 September 2012, 11:51)Prepaday Wrote: I can see most of us using our prepping skills very soon, according to the news, we are facing one of the coldest winters in over 100 years, No lorries being able to get to super markets, power lines down because of snow and whatever else comes with it, According to some folk, Some parts of the u'k could be facing minus 16...yes 16...
I'm fighting with the council because I want a log burner in my living room and need the fireplace open and they are having none of it...

Well we know we're OK to -12 as that's what the temperature was for us last year.
Wind chill on the wet bulb thermometer went down to -45 at one point but the heating oil kept flowing.
We lost our electricity through downed power lines but our generator kept the CH running.
Still we always have our little multifuel burner to keep the chill off.

So it might get a bit interesting.

Anyone know where you can buy a hot water bottle (or equivalent) for a car battery?

29 September 2012, 14:32,
(29 September 2012, 14:26)Paul Wrote: Anyone know where you can buy a hot water bottle (or equivalent) for a car battery?

try some of these ideas

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7176468_warm-car-battery.html

one of them says a normal hotwater bottle will work, just wang a thick blanket around it ^^
29 September 2012, 15:06,
(29 September 2012, 14:32)Hrusai Wrote: try some of these ideas

one of them says a normal hotwater bottle will work, just wang a thick blanket around it ^^

Ta muchly but that never worked for me.

There was a product a long while ago which was a gel pack wrap (which they called a battery hot water bottle) which ran from an extension lead but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere sensible.
Besides I'm not a fan of ebay shopping.
Too many bad experiences.

29 September 2012, 15:11,
(29 September 2012, 15:06)Paul Wrote: Ta muchly but that never worked for me.

There was a product a long while ago which was a gel pack wrap (which they called a battery hot water bottle) which ran from an extension lead but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere sensible.

this sort of thing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-UTV-oil-pan-...21&vxp=mtr

as for ebay shopping, stick to well rated sellers and you cant go wrong, you can open disputes if it gets stupid and reclaim your money, 9 times out of 10 a seller will actively try and refund you/ resend the item...dont go for sellers with under 98% good feedback, higher is better

reason i know is cause we got an ebay business with over 20000 feedback, we're a large seller Big Grin and we shop alot on there ^^
29 September 2012, 15:21,
(29 September 2012, 15:06)Paul Wrote:
(29 September 2012, 14:32)Hrusai Wrote: try some of these ideas

Ta muchly but that never worked for me.

I cut up some radiator backing foil/Polystyrene and raped it twice around the vehicle battery.

The weather; take a look at this old post and be ready, either way.
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1922

Juice
walk outside the box