Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new great depression near?
7 October 2012, 19:08, (This post was last modified: 7 October 2012, 19:19 by Prepper1.)
new great depression near?
Hi guys, whilst researching what effects the last great depression had on the u.k. when I came across this article.
whilst the entire article is good reading, this particular quote further down the page caught my eye...

"Under pressure from its Liberal allies as well as the Conservative opposition, the Labour government appointed a committee to review the state of public finances. The May Report of July 1931 urged public sector wage cuts and large cuts in public spending (notably in benefit payments ("dole") to the unemployed) to avoid incurring a budget deficit. The sense was that the deficit was dangerous and had to be reduced; the proposal was to meet £24 million by increased taxes on the rich, and £96 million by economies, of which £64 would come from unemployment relief".
How spookily close is that to what they're doing now?
I wonder if the recession we're in is going to end up as a depression?
I wonder if a new world wars on the way as well to thin the herd?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depre...ed_Kingdom
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
7 October 2012, 19:22,
RE: new great depression near?
now your getting there!! p1
7 October 2012, 20:11,
(7 October 2012, 19:08)Prepper1 Wrote: Hi guys, whilst researching what effects the last great depression had on the u.k. when I came across this article.
whilst the entire article is good reading, this particular quote further down the page caught my eye...

"Under pressure from its Liberal allies as well as the Conservative opposition, the Labour government appointed a committee to review the state of public finances. The May Report of July 1931 urged public sector wage cuts and large cuts in public spending (notably in benefit payments ("dole") to the unemployed) to avoid incurring a budget deficit. The sense was that the deficit was dangerous and had to be reduced; the proposal was to meet £24 million by increased taxes on the rich, and £96 million by economies, of which £64 would come from unemployment relief".
How spookily close is that to what they're doing now?
I wonder if the recession we're in is going to end up as a depression?
I wonder if a new world wars on the way as well to thin the herd?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depre...ed_Kingdom

the effects of the great deppression on my grandfather were many keeping four double wardrobes of clothing , dozens of toilet rolls , many pairs of new shoes, six stanley knifes, five torchs, plenty screws metal rods tools etc, plenty tinned food , and not spending much or throwing anything away ever.
8 October 2012, 09:18, (This post was last modified: 8 October 2012, 09:19 by Prepper1.)
I find that by reading about how the last Depression effected people and what they did to cope, helps me with my prepping.
If you ever felt overwhelmed by the very idea of prepping, you read about how people managed with so much less than we could ever dream of not having. And how people we'd be seen as normal back then not a bunch of weirdo's and miss fits as we are now.

sorry that should have read how we'd be seen as normal back then...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 October 2012, 12:47,
That's almost the same thing I've been saying even before I joined this forum. We're heading into a depression, economically. No matter what we hope will happen, things are going down hill. The UK pound, US dollar, and the Euro, are all being hugely devalued by the quantitative easing....however prices have not reflected the true level of inflation that should have been caused by the increase of the amount of currency that has entered circulation.

How can an economy of 64million people, have an injection of over £11billion (not sure if that's our current level of increased currency) cash into the system, and still have tins of beans cost 28p (Tesco)?

By now we should have entered much more inflation than we are being told. The currency has been hugely devalued, and the IMF is making another 500million available to help weaning countries.

Compare each currency to it's Gold cost. Then work out the actual inflation. Gold was $27.5 per ounce, back in the 50's. Now it's over $1000 an ounce. The dollar has taken a beating of over 98% reduction in it's buying power. But check out the last 10 years of financial records. Dollar to Gold, Pound to Gold, Euro to Gold. Then the same with Silver, Oil, or any other commodity. Our currency is being devalued dramatically, and the only way to maintain it......print more money. Which will increase the inflation rate even further. You could always try deflation.....but that really doesn't help. I can't find a single example in history that shows a useful benefit of deflation. Every time it has been employed....disaster!!!

I will say this again, Silver is the best current purchase available, and at current devaluation levels, should be much closer to £200 per ounce!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin