• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
26 Nuke plants in path of hurricane Sandy
30 October 2012, 12:37,
26 Nuke plants in path of hurricane Sandy
http://rt.com/usa/news/sandy-nuclear-power-plant-500/

Uh oh.
30 October 2012, 12:42,
RE: 26 Nuke plants in path of hurricane Sandy
It's funny how sky news hasn't told people this (that I'm aware of).

Makes it all the more worrying.

Cheers for the post
30 October 2012, 13:46,
This page has some detail about sandy's path as well. It is strange what main media doesn't talk about.

http://theintelhub.com/2012/10/29/hurric...ear-plant/
Failure is always an option.
30 October 2012, 14:02,
Great that's enough to pollute near enough the whole plant
I really don't fancy glowing green coffee with my breakfast
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
30 October 2012, 14:17,
(30 October 2012, 14:02)Pagan-Mist Wrote: Great that's enough to pollute near enough the whole plant
I really don't fancy glowing green coffee with my breakfast

But then you could find your cup in the dark! Sometimes the glow of computer monitors isn't enough to spot a mug on a desk! Wink
Failure is always an option.
30 October 2012, 23:00,
It is not such a problem I think. With Fukushima, the plant was still operating when the earthquake hit, where as all of these plants will have been shut down. Plus, with Japan, with it being a long thin island chain, the logistics of help and support are much larger than those of the USA, where the plants are in close distance to a lot of surrounding help.

The only problems that could become problems are a lack of on site generating power to keep the cooling system flowing. Whilst in Japan structural damage and the problem of logistics meant that it was impossible to get massive generators on the back of trucks in quickly, in the USA, this should not be a problem at all. Even if every single plant had their back up power disrupted, I would expect that within 36 hours you could get more than enough generating power to each of them to power the pumps.

However, I would not expect the media to look at things like this, if they were of a mind to look at things. Power industries are major advertising spenders - watch something that is in the top 10 of viewers figures on commercial TV and you will see a power advert.

Nuclear power is all in all pretty safe. I know of few other things that could stand a magnitude 9 earthquake and then be swamped by an unmeasurable amount of sea traveling at many miles per hour. Amazing that it still stands, but that is how these things are designed and built, and let us not forget that it has since been raised that the Fukushima plant was in need of many safety updates.