Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As New Ham /CB SSB Transceiver
10 November 2012, 09:40,
As New Ham /CB SSB Transceiver
Albrect AE 485s Ham / CB transceiver. Comes with fold-up wire dipole antenna for emergency portable installation.

This is primarily a simplified Ham Single Side Band (SSB) rig with ability to align with most UK, EU and USA CB frequencies. AS well as SSB it is capable of operating in FM and AM modes.

See: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/albr...-7135.html

This is my personal radio. Its 4 months old. Un-modded, in as new condition, in original packaging with manual and all ancillaries. I guess I’ve operated it for less than 30 hours since new.

Its configured for CB as well as 10m ham frequencies. (Automatically on CB when turned on and is switched to 10m by user when required, that is to say that its not software controlled from a computer.)

Aligns with UK CB 27/11 and EU Channels and also operates on Ham and non-Ham frequencies below and above the CB bands.
Power: this is the high power 25w version.

Displays either frequency or channel number.

Comes with mounting bracket and quick connect power cable
This radio has ultra sensitive receiver, and good audio compression on transmit. Easy trans-atlantic contacts have been made this autumn using the wire antenna that’s included in the sale.

Reason for selling: Insufficient use. (too much time hanging around on the SUK forum maybe!!!)

Offering first to SUK members before going to e-bay with it.

Originally cost ₤225 + delivery. Selling for ₤170 + delivery.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 November 2012, 09:46, (This post was last modified: 10 November 2012, 09:50 by BrixhamBadger.)
RE: As New Ham /CB SSB Transceiver
Rolleyes I got one of them. Smile
Mine is opened up to just a tad over 25 MHz to all the way to just a tad under 30. Smile
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
10 November 2012, 10:06,
Hello Gents,

This sounds a like a really great radio but as a complete newbie could you please tell me how I could use this radio for my comms along with the UV-5r+. I am thinking along the lines of local comms with the UV-5R and trans-atlantic and longer distance comms with this one. I have family in the US (California, New York and well inland). I also have family in Africa. Would this do or am I asking for too much from a radio?

Ta much, Gents.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
10 November 2012, 10:14,
I quite regularly (depending on conditions/skip) chat away quite merrily with The States from here in South Devon on 27.555 u.s.b. Wink I use an Antron 99 antenna on the AE 485s that I find quite good. Smile
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
10 November 2012, 10:28,
The whole frequency thing is a totally new language for me, BB.
I suppose that it would transmit into West Africa where some of my family are if it works to the US.

Looks like I need to get moving on looking for one of these after I get my UV-5R+.

So I would need to budget for about £250 for both radio and antenna?
Also just realised that the antenna looks like a roof-mount type.
I live in a block of flats that is not a tower block so Could I maybe stick it out my window when I want to use it?

Thanks much
11 November 2012, 08:03,
(10 November 2012, 09:46)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Rolleyes I got one of them. Smile
Mine is opened up to just a tad over 25 MHz to all the way to just a tad under 30. Smile

Sounds like the same one as mine. good arn't they?

is yours the 12w or 25w model BB?

Do you use it Maritime Mobile? Wow, I bet that'd get some pretty impressive results...
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 November 2012, 08:17,
Smile My "baby" is on a 50w variable power board that will come down to 1w..... but obviously I would NEVER dream of going over this countries power limit Rolleyes as I am a law-abiding citizen. Angel

It is in the "land based" shack down the garden, where H.W.M.B.O. banishes me to when I get "under her feet" lmao Big Grin

Have a butchers here: Smile
11 November 2012, 08:30, (This post was last modified: 11 November 2012, 08:41 by Lightspeed.)
(10 November 2012, 10:06)Mandlaka Wrote: Hello Gents,

This sounds a like a really great radio but as a complete newbie could you please tell me how I could use this radio for my comms along with the UV-5r+. I am thinking along the lines of local comms with the UV-5R and trans-atlantic and longer distance comms with this one. I have family in the US (California, New York and well inland). I also have family in Africa. Would this do or am I asking for too much from a radio?

Ta much, Gents.

OK this radio fits into prepping coms in a number of ways and is supplementary to the UH5r type hand held devices

1. First difference is that its a lot more powerful and a good deal larger than the UV5R. Its portable in a rucksack ( that's how I use it) but is not a hand held self contained device. It requires external 12v power and an external antenna

2. It will interact with any other stations using CB Frequencies including:
  • UK Standard CB27/81 FM Channels
  • All European CEPT CB FM and AM Channels
  • All USA CB AM Channels
  • All European CB SSB channels
  • All USA CB SSB channels

3. It will interact with Ham radios operating on the 28Mhz and 29Mhz amateur bands ( in all modes AM FM and SSB)

4. It will interact with what are known as Freeband frequencies. these are a set of pirate frequencies operated primarily CB enthisiasts worldwide.

5. Primary prepper use is as an FM CB radio (lots written by Paul in the communications section) Well sited and with good antenna CB will achieve greater range than the UV5r handhelds. In dead flat east anglia I can achieve up to 18 miles range with this radio.

Sometimes in Survival comms planning we need to consider coms just with a very local station, running very low power so that the whole world does not hear our comms. This radio has a control knob that will adjust power output from 1/4 w all the way up to 25w max

6. Staying with CB frequencies, this summer reliable pretty much daily communications from East Anglia to Scotland and sometimes to Devon have been possible both on FM and SSB

7. USA: Look at the full article on prepping coms on the main site.
USA and pan European comms, primarily using SSB are possible using this type of radio to exploit "skip" conditions. This is not regular day to day sort of reloiability, you have to wait for nature to provide the right conditions. When conditions are right very long distance communications are supported.

Hope thsi helps?

(11 November 2012, 08:17)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Smile My "baby" is on a 50w variable power board that will come down to 1w..... but obviously I would NEVER dream of going over this countries power limit Rolleyes as I am a law-abiding citizen. Angel

It is in the "land based" shack down the garden, where H.W.M.B.O. banishes me to when I get "under her feet" lmao Big Grin

I know the mod you have on your radio. Its based on the same model as mine.

I Imagine that the big heat sink would getting quite warm if you were ever to use it on 50w...... Doubles up as a good heater for the shack though eh?

(10 November 2012, 10:28)Mandlaka Wrote: The whole frequency thing is a totally new language for me, BB.
I suppose that it would transmit into West Africa where some of my family are if it works to the US.

Looks like I need to get moving on looking for one of these after I get my UV-5R+.

I live in a block of flats that is not a tower block so Could I maybe stick it out my window when I want to use it?

Thanks much

Sorry, missed your comment about w.africa. I've worked S. Africa and N. Africa on the frequencies this radio supports, but never W Africa. I'm guessing that is more to do with few stations operating in that region rather than the radio conditions being wrong.

Aparment block antennas: BB's antenna will be a brute to manage unless you could get it on the roof and feed coax down to your flat ( and then it'd be excellent). Which floor are you on and how many floors in the block?

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 November 2012, 08:47,
(11 November 2012, 08:30)Lightspeed Wrote: I Imagine that the big heat sink would getting quite warm if you were ever to use it on 50w...... Doubles up as a good heater for the shack though eh?

I suppose it could Rolleyes IF it was to be wound up to the max, but as I mentioned earlier, that would be illegal (illegal? is that not a sick bird?) so I can`t really comment on that without my lawyer present. [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQroeBbIDEoHsfLHFKC8fF...A3tqhOmUvA]
11 November 2012, 12:03,
(11 November 2012, 08:30)Lightspeed Wrote:
(10 November 2012, 10:06)Mandlaka Wrote: Hello Gents,

Ta much, Gents.

OK this radio fits into prepping coms in a number of ways and is supplementary to the UH5r type hand held devices

1. First difference is that its a lot more powerful and a good deal larger than the UV5R. Its portable in a rucksack ( that's how I use it) but is not a hand held self contained device. It requires external 12v power and an external antenna

2. It will interact with any other stations using CB Frequencies including:
  • UK Standard CB27/81 FM Channels
  • All European CEPT CB FM and AM Channels
  • All USA CB AM Channels
  • All European CB SSB channels
  • All USA CB SSB channels

3. It will interact with Ham radios operating on the 28Mhz and 29Mhz amateur bands ( in all modes AM FM and SSB)

4. It will interact with what are known as Freeband frequencies. these are a set of pirate frequencies operated primarily CB enthisiasts worldwide.

5. Primary prepper use is as an FM CB radio (lots written by Paul in the communications section) Well sited and with good antenna CB will achieve greater range than the UV5r handhelds. In dead flat east anglia I can achieve up to 18 miles range with this radio.

Sometimes in Survival comms planning we need to consider coms just with a very local station, running very low power so that the whole world does not hear our comms. This radio has a control knob that will adjust power output from 1/4 w all the way up to 25w max

6. Staying with CB frequencies, this summer reliable pretty much daily communications from East Anglia to Scotland and sometimes to Devon have been possible both on FM and SSB

7. USA: Look at the full article on prepping coms on the main site.
USA and pan European comms, primarily using SSB are possible using this type of radio to exploit "skip" conditions. This is not regular day to day sort of reloiability, you have to wait for nature to provide the right conditions. When conditions are right very long distance communications are supported.

Hope thsi helps?

(11 November 2012, 08:17)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Smile My "baby" is on a 50w variable power board that will come down to 1w..... but obviously I would NEVER dream of going over this countries power limit Rolleyes as I am a law-abiding citizen. Angel

I know the mod you have on your radio. Its based on the same model as mine.

I Imagine that the big heat sink would getting quite warm if you were ever to use it on 50w...... Doubles up as a good heater for the shack though eh?

(10 November 2012, 10:28)Mandlaka Wrote: The whole frequency thing is a totally new language for me, BB.

Thanks much

Sorry, missed your comment about w.africa. I've worked S. Africa and N. Africa on the frequencies this radio supports, but never W Africa. I'm guessing that is more to do with few stations operating in that region rather than the radio conditions being wrong.

Aparment block antennas: BB's antenna will be a brute to manage unless you could get it on the roof and feed coax down to your flat ( and then it'd be excellent). Which floor are you on and how many floors in the block?

Thanks for the info, LS.
I am on the first floor in my block and the block only goes up to 3rd floor. So not very high at all.

From what you have said and looking at my current location, it will not work for such long distance comms. Still I think it worth getting but after I have sorted more urgent parts of my preps.
I will still get the UV5-R and do the course. If nothing else I can at least begin learning more on using all this kit even if I end up never doing such long distance comms.
I will keep my questions coming as and when they crop up.
Many thanks for being patient. Much appreciated.