Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changes are afoot
11 December 2012, 22:13,
Changes are afoot
Some changes will be taking place on the forum over the New Year.

Read http://survivaluk.net/2012/12/11/there-b...ges-afoot/
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 December 2012, 10:00,
RE: Changes are afoot
That's understandable.

Not got a problem with that at all.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 December 2012, 10:40,
makes me a little bit concerned about this news, so far we have little or no moderation on the site and most of the time it works very well, some times people get passionate about their subject and can go a bit OTT but generally we have a good group on here with differing levels of experience . we may not agree with everything that is written, i dont always agree with what young Scythe says but i respect his right to say it!!Big Grin it would be a shame to see this excellent site go down hill the same as many of the other UK sites have done in the past and ended up with over moderation and rules, and people being banned because they have a different point of view to management..
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 December 2012, 11:01,
I made my comment on the main site and I stand by my words, however I have been in your postion SD and you have a very hard job to do and you will not be able to please everyone. Leadership is loneliness and your best work is always measured against your last mistake.

I just hope that when the dust settles that the best and finest minds that contribute to this forum are still here, even if they do wander off subject, swear a bit and have a laugh now and again.
12 December 2012, 11:31,
I agree with you on this BP, but at the same time, this is SD and do you really think he's going to over-moderate? For me, if it's not about prepping, then it's not really got a place on a prepping forum.

Also, I think this will be a good move in expelling those that are on the forum because they're lonely, and those that are on the forum because they want to prep.

There are people on here that provide little to no beneficial input, questions, or seeming interest in prepping. Those new to prepping, survivalism, and the alike, are asking questions, challenging the old concepts, and are doing an awesome job at moving prepping forward. Some of the older vanguard are very much set in their ways, but add a huge amount of knowledge. The novice will learn and challenge, the older will teach and learn in return. But there are arm-chair preppers that we know are providing nothing to the forum. They don't help the noobs or challenge the seasoned vets.

At the end of the day, this is a prepping/survivalism forum, and I don't have a problem with it being that way. Infact, it's kind of (read EXACTLY) why I joined.

SD has better things to do than totally moderate everything on the site. It'll probably as simple as asking a question "Is this survivalist or prepper related?" if it's not, then it should be removed from the forum.

Some of the political conversations, not the School Ground Politics kind, are interesting....but have absolutely NOTHING to do with prepping. Are they interesting reads? Yes. Are they of benefit to the site or forum? No.
From what I can tell, that is exactly what SD is going to be looking into.

It's like the financial conversations I rant on with. They are only prepper related to a point. And then I just go off on one about economics. It's something I'm guilty of, and it clogs up useful space. If I could, I'd probably delete 70% of my financial/economic rants (not because they're wrong......they're actually spot on correct) because they really don't do much for the benefit of the forum. They might enlighten a few people, but it's not at all prepper related.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 December 2012, 17:09,
Quote:Also, I think this will be a good move in expelling those that are on the forum because they're lonely, and those that are on the forum because they want to prep.

What about the lonely preppers?!Sad

Seriously though, I think the economic/political comment is important, in that it can give an early heads-up about future problems. It's important to look at the long term trends when prepping, as well as the immediate clear-and-present threats.

Not sure I agree with the "defend their right to say it" philosophy if it's a personal attack on another person. Remember there are laws against defamation, and they are there for a reason. Remember also that, when contributing online, one is writing things down and committing to a permanent record. It's a million miles away from the light-hearted banter that might go on verbally in the pub or club changing-room, as the folks who Lord MacAlpine has in his sights will surely soon be finding out.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
12 December 2012, 17:29,
Talk about putting words in peoples mouths.

I've not said anything about 'lonely preppers'. Everyone is welcome.

nor I have suggested we don't mention political events at all but they are the ones that degenerate and they all repeat themselves. The Iranian threat is exactly the same now as it was years ago. There are plenty of sites that discuss this down to the nth detail. I don't want to be one of those. For example there are two recent posts on Londistan and the number of white people there. What has that subject got that it takes two threads and only touches on prepping? My answer is nothing. I've not decided what I'm going to do about that yet.

Every forum has a life of its own. I'm sticking with my ideals and we will see how it goes. If it collapses at least I now I did what I wanted to do.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 December 2012, 17:39,
Sorry. Rapped knuckles accepted.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
12 December 2012, 17:59,
What about having a non prep section then??

Theres a lot in the world that in some way relates to our prepping plans such as Iran and I'd personally feel it'd be a mistake to exclude stuff that at first glance doesn't seem totally 100% prep related .

Maybe it could be a sundries or extras section where people could post what they feel is interesting possibly relevant to prepping in their eyes, then if people feel like it they could check it out with maybe an over 18's warning as there may be foul language present and matters that may include immigration etc...

That then keeps N.R. and the faint hearted happy and also the ones of us who swear a lot...

That way the main site and forum are for 100% defiantly prep related stuff and the extras section for stuff that may not be prep related or contain foul language in nature? therefore enter at your own peril and don't complain about the contents if you do ...

I really must stress that I think you need to provide a section for preppers to sound off about stuff if you want certain loud or sweary members me included to stay.

Thats one thing I value this site for the freedom to discuss what we want however vague in regards to prepping it may be.

However as your the boss you must do it your way whatever that may entail.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
12 December 2012, 19:02,
Tarrel,

No knuckle rapping intended. Just stating my views.

Prepper1,

That is exactly what I am trying to get away from. I didn't mind non prepping articles but they let to all the arguments which required my involvement.
Skean Dhude