Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ABSOLUTE and ultimate preppers
5 February 2013, 09:06,
The ABSOLUTE and ultimate preppers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2Jqxztpa8

5 February 2013, 10:13,
RE: The ABSOLUTE and ultimate preppers
wow that's amazing, pretty sad that they died off after being "rescued" by civilization.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
5 February 2013, 11:12,
A serious reality-check for anyone contemplating "bugging out" to the wilderness and living a subsistence existence after a hard crash.

Learning points:
- Acquire spares of hand tools, and look after them
- Acquire good stocks of hardware (nails, screws, wire, etc)
- Invest in cast-iron cookware - it will last forever
- Grow birch trees!
- Build a seed-bank

Interesting to read about their impoverished living conditions. One can harbour all kinds of " desert island" fantasies about building a wonderful shelter, lashed together with natural cordage, etc, but I guess the hard reality is that most time and effort will be taken simply trying to feed oneself.

When I've taken the scouts on a traditional "patrol camp", in which they operate as teams of six to plan and cook their food, build camp-gadgets, collect firewood, make fire, etc, it takes them nearly all their time just to go through the process of living. Easiest camps to run, and they collapse exhausted into their tents at night, so no problems getting them to settle down!

Actually, the article demonstrates the value of living and working together in a community, rather than trying to go it alone.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
5 February 2013, 11:23,
A knife, axe and some form of sharpener is essential I think with a good knife and axe you could make anything.
Mind you knowledge is essential as well without the knowledge of how to make things your screwed.

I could have all the tools in a garage to fix a car but without knowing how, ..
I could learn and when everything else is ticketty boo, thats ok.
In a survival situation, that is not the time to be learning how to grow food or build stuff.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
5 February 2013, 11:30,
I think I need to buy a part roll at least of cotton cloth and another part roll of cotton canvas and a lot more needles and thread, I've got a hatchet but need and axe, and I think a few pangas or machettes would come in handy.

5 February 2013, 15:13,
the lack of immunity to modern diseases is a continuing theme, it happens all the time with ancient tribes coming into contact with modern man, that why i prefer the concept of "total isolation" after a collapse.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 February 2013, 19:49,
What I tend to keep thinking about, is the winters they had to endure,... its one thing to live in a forrest during summer,... but such a different thing to survive a Russian Winter,... over and over, year after year

I think that if they hadnt had their son they may not have made it, the artical seems to imply that he was their savour in that he was the one who learnt to hunt and provide

A great story
A major part of survival is invisibility.