Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leisure Batteries for Solar systems
11 February 2013, 15:31,
Leisure Batteries for Solar systems
looking for up to 3 batteries, one for me, two for AL, deep cycle leisure batteries for our PV setup ups. Any ideas where to start looking greatfully recieved. 100 to 110 AH 12 volt deep cycle type please.

11 February 2013, 15:37,
RE: Leisure Batteries for Solar systems
Start with 2nd hand car batteries. Not ideal but will get your system up & running so you can save to get decent leisure batteries (don't mean that as taking a guess at your financial status, just the good ones are bloody expensive Smile ).

My dad got his caravan batteries from local camping & caravan shop. They were £50 for basic battery but that was 4 years ago.
11 February 2013, 17:07,
your looking at 80 to 100 quid for new ones... try your local scrappers for second hand truck or large van ones they'll probably be around 20 ish quid each.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
11 February 2013, 20:49,
Are you sure? Normal car batteries are that much and I though deep cycle were a lot more. Got any links?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 February 2013, 20:56,
SD, a quick google of leisure battery under the shopping tab brings up prices ranging from £62-£110.

Used car batteries are normally around the £10 mark in a breakers yard.
11 February 2013, 20:59,
try useing ex fork lift bats can be cheap on e bay
11 February 2013, 21:10,
I can see 100 and 110 AH liesure batteries on amazon .co.uk from about £70 up over plus p&p

11 February 2013, 22:02,
If you can source them, use old secondhand forklift batteries.
They may have lost their 'high torque power' for use in forklifts but still have plenty (years) of life left in them for 'deep cycle' power usage and storage.
Built for purpose.

Find a company near you that hires out and repairs fork lifts, scissor lifts, cherry pickers.
There is one near me; they replace all batteries with new and weigh in/ scrap the old.

Also look out for a Ctek or equivalent battery charger/ re-conditioner
My Ctek has paid for it's self times over - I have not bought a new battery since.

Cheers Juice.
walk outside the box
11 February 2013, 22:10,
Go to a scrap yard, you will get them cheaper there than any other source
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 February 2013, 00:16,
You could try Go Outdoors. They're cheap and do leisure batteries. Just be warned, however, that leisure batteries and proper deep cycle batteries are not the same thing. A leisure battery will certainly last better than a car starting battery in a solar PV setup, but it won't be as durable as true deep cycle batteries such as the 2nd hand forklift batteries being discussed here. Leisure battery will be the cheaper option however.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.