Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meteor shower in Russia causes damage to building and hurts people
15 February 2013, 10:03, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2013, 10:30 by NorthernRaider.)
Meteor shower in Russia causes damage to building and hurts people
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...jured.html

http://news.sky.com/story/1052514/meteor...juring-500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

'It was like a scene from the Armageddon movie': More than 500 people injured, buildings smashed and Russian mobile network wiped out as meteorite shower causes widespread panic

Large object flashed across the sky at 9.20am local time (03.20 UK time)
Pictures show a streak of smoke followed by several bright blasts of flames
Three people had been hospitalised in a serious condition

6,000 square feet of a roof at a zinc factory collapsed
Scientists are investigating whether or not the strike is related to Asteroid 2012 DA14, which is due to skim the orbit of the Earth later today

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2KxUbHmNE

15 February 2013, 10:35,
RE: Meteor shower in Russia causes damage to building and hurts people
I was just reading this on sky news.

It's strange how its happened on the same day an asteroid is meant to "just miss" earth.

In my eyes the 2 have got to be related.
15 February 2013, 10:35,
Note that Chelyabinsk is almost on the same latitude as the UK, another 3 hours later and it would have hit the UK

15 February 2013, 10:46,
It's got me wondering 2 things.

1) Why 20,000 emergency workers are being dispatched for 500 injured (some specified as cuts & bruises or 'walking wounded').

2) why are soldiers being dispatched to guard the impact sites

I never gave a thought to the 3hr/same latitude thing but just shows how lucky we are.
15 February 2013, 10:50,
(15 February 2013, 10:46)Geordie_Rob Wrote: It's got me wondering 2 things.

1) Why 20,000 emergency workers are being dispatched for 500 injured (some specified as cuts & bruises or 'walking wounded').

I never gave a thought to the 3hr/same latitude thing but just shows how lucky we are.

The region is home to a major nuclear waste storage facility, apparently (according to BBC news).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
15 February 2013, 10:59,
(15 February 2013, 10:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Note that Chelyabinsk is almost on the same latitude as the UK, another 3 hours later and it would have hit the UK

Just checked on google earth & it literally wouldve been right on us mate. Same lat as n/east coast over to Cumbria from what I can see. Don't know how accurate google is like.
15 February 2013, 11:02, (This post was last modified: 15 February 2013, 11:03 by NorthernRaider.)
(15 February 2013, 10:46)Geordie_Rob Wrote: It's got me wondering 2 things.

1 Because its a huge and rather hilly and remote area and the explosion occured at altitude so people over a huge area could be hurt, not just the folks in the city

2 Because the debris could be very valuable geologically or financially.

(15 February 2013, 10:59)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(15 February 2013, 10:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Note that Chelyabinsk is almost on the same latitude as the UK, another 3 hours later and it would have hit the UK

Just checked on google earth & it literally wouldve been right on us mate. Same lat as n/east coast over to Cumbria from what I can see. Don't know how accurate google is like.

Aye I dont think the media has cottoned onto just how lucky we actually were, another couple of hours and it would have pebbledashed us.

15 February 2013, 12:01,
just picked this news up !
is the next meteor due to pass tonight or tommorrow ?
15 February 2013, 12:03,
tonight at 7 .25 I think or 7. 35 some such time...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
15 February 2013, 12:10,
(15 February 2013, 12:03)Prepper1 Wrote: tonight at 7 .25 I think or 7. 35 some such time...

many thanks
hopefully a clear sky, so i`ll be sitting out ready to watch