Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solid fuel cooker
3 March 2013, 19:30,
solid fuel cooker
dont know if this is the right place to put this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAYBURN-ROYAL-...3a7ef5b330

bigger than what i was looking for , but could be of use to someone.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 March 2013, 21:06,
RE: solid fuel cooker
I grew up with one identical to that,.... [ but I cant remember if it was called the `Royal` or the `Regent` ],....they are great for cooking on and keeping the one room warm,.. but the one my parents had was too small to heat the house, so we still went cold in other rooms
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 March 2013, 21:58, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 22:16 by Luci_ferson.)
(3 March 2013, 21:06)Highlander Wrote: I grew up with one identical to that,.... [ but I cant remember if it was called the `Royal` or the `Regent` ],....they are great for cooking on and keeping the one room warm,.. but the one my parents had was too small to heat the house, so we still went cold in other rooms

my grandads was huge , it had a place above the fire to hang a stew pot, then on the right it had a big oven, and on the left it had the bread oven and water boiler.
and yup the water boiler wasnt up to much use or he never had it on,
It laways had enough in it for a tin bath infront of the fire though,
wed all get dumped in one after the other.

wish i had it now

im after one of the little ones like you used to see on allotments.
they like rocky horse poo, and when you find one they wanting silly money.
seems like everyone is wanting them, cos i know they aint rare.

that hugh fernley bloke has a lot to answer for,
fancy starting a gardening craze.

ive just realised why my grandads never worked as heating.
it would have required an electric pump and he only had an electric light in one room,
and a weird atachment so he could plug a hoover into it.
he would never have had the heating part fitted in.

although i do remember the other rooms having big fat cast iron radiators like the ones you used to have in schools, so maybe not.
4 March 2013, 13:40,
Had to collect a rayburn from blackpool, there easy enough to move just need a engine lift and a a scaffold poll thats been cut up so you can move it around inside.
4 March 2013, 14:26, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 14:33 by Luci_ferson.)
were i live you cant legally have a solid fuel cooker. but if we could id definately have a nice rayburn in the house, my misses would love one.
sadly il have to make do with just trying to get hold of one of those little ones for the allotment.
still wouldnt be legally allowed to use it, (smokefree zone) but its not ilegal to fit one in ready.
I remember getting fed at my nanas house
she lived in a small mining village so when you arrived the first thing you smelled was all the coal fires.
then you got in nanas and was given meat and potatoe pie cooked in a solid fuel oven.
with a dollop of thick stew on it that noone could remember what meat it started as or what was in it cos it had been in a pot over the fire for the last 6 months of the winter.
just adding more veg water and meat whenever the pan got low.
sometimes shed chuck a few dumplings in just before we arrived instead of the pie.
the smell in nannas house was always great.
never smelled anything like it since.

oh i forgot about the smell of whatever it was that used to be brewing in the outhouse, that stunk.
she was village midwife and a bit of a herbalist. (think we call them witches now lol)
4 March 2013, 14:36,
My OH grew up in a cottage with no mains....no mains anything!Big Grin lighting by storm lanterns, water was HAND pumped from a well, and they cooked on a AGA! small hamlet of just 4 houses up a country lane.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 March 2013, 15:14, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 15:17 by Luci_ferson.)
my nana was considered privelidged cos she actually had a hand pump in the back yard.
most people shared a tap in the street.
I dont remember that though, by the time I was born the houses had been given running water. and one electric light in the main living room.
they had extensions running all over plugged into this one light socket.
what a death trap lol

always hated the outhouse and the rusty nail with the torn up paper on it.
4 March 2013, 16:39,
Can you not use the smokeless coal in smoke free areas? I thought you also got 30 minutes to get the fire started.
4 March 2013, 16:51,
we can use smokeless coals yup, but id want to use wood, no point buying one if i then have to go buying anthracite or whatever its called.
4 March 2013, 16:57,
Get it in & use smokeless mixed with wood. It's what my dad does + it's ready for you for when shtf