Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian soldier found in afghanistan 30years after war
6 March 2013, 10:33,
Russian soldier found in afghanistan 30years after war
I found his story quite interesting http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/0...fghanistan
6 March 2013, 10:37,
RE: Russian soldier found in afghanistan 30years after war
seems he went native!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 10:45,
i few soviets where captured and converted to Islam also a few soviet troops were Muslim to start with and simply left at their first chance.
6 March 2013, 13:22,
The Russians have really let their map reading skills slip havn't they
6 March 2013, 21:57,
When I was serving in Malaysia [ then Malaya ] we were briefed about Japanese soldiers still in the jungle from WW11, and if we found any we were to attempt to apprehend them.

Our football field bordered the jungle when two Japanese very briefly showed themselves, and quickly returned into the gloom,... 24 footballers in hot pursuit.

We did catch them, they still wore remnants of their uniforms, had one rifle between them and three rounds.

As far as they were concerned they were still fighting a war, no-one had told them it was over,... while I was out there a total of [I think ] 5 were caught, and had to be told by the Emperor himself that the war was over
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 March 2013, 22:05, (This post was last modified: 6 March 2013, 22:06 by Metroyeti.)
Highlander thats fascinating, when was this? Heard lots of stories like this but a first hand acount Big Grin

Poor guys, carnt imagine what it would be like stuck in foreign territory for xamount of years, and the shock to the system being found.
6 March 2013, 22:32,
errr. cough, cough,....... the late 60s,.. I joined my Battalion in 1968 and this happened within the first two months of joining my unit,... a few interesting points about these guys, 1/ they spoke extremely quite,... they couldn't seem to raise their voice, they must have spent so long talking in hushed tones. 2/... their rifle was absolutely spotless, and with them having three rounds left, I often think back and wonder just how lucky we might have been,... and 3/, although there uniform was almost nothing, it was patched with pieces of skin in particular snake skin,.. bits like the unit badges and rank badges had been well looked after

They were clearly proud soldiers
7 March 2013, 00:19,
Most people would have lost the will to live after that long

More on the soldier http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...vince.html
16 March 2013, 21:18,
(6 March 2013, 21:57)Highlander Wrote: When I was serving in Malaysia [ then Malaya ] we were briefed about Japanese soldiers still in the jungle from WW11, and if we found any we were to attempt to apprehend them.

Our football field bordered the jungle when two Japanese very briefly showed themselves, and quickly returned into the gloom,... 24 footballers in hot pursuit.

This might sound daft, but were you all playing football when this happened?!
17 March 2013, 10:34,
Yes, we were, the reds team verses the white,..Smile... never got to finish that game