Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No gas?
23 March 2013, 13:05,
RE: No gas?
(23 March 2013, 12:44)Nutmeg Wrote: So no need for me to worry then Tarrel,
We won't run out of gas, there will be no electricity cuts.
That's a relief.
Quilt taken off the sofa and put away.

Depends on the weather over the next week or so. However, the generally high wholesale prices, together with yesterday's price-spike, are almost certain to mean higher prices for gas next winter. Right now, in terms of pence per kilowatt hour, gas is still one of the cheapest fuels available (unless you have access to a free wood supply), but this won,t always be the case. The other disadvantage of gas is you have no control over the supply. With coal, wood or oil, you can lay in a supply and insulate yourself from cuts or supply-interruptions. Coal and wood also have the advantage of being less dependent on electricity.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
23 March 2013, 15:53,
So that's a maybe then Tarrel?
Quilt back out of the cupboard (just in case).
Sometimes prepping is so difficult to work out.
Meg
23 March 2013, 17:00, (This post was last modified: 23 March 2013, 17:02 by Straight Shooter.)
Think ahead meg....get a wood burning stove ...if funds allow....you will be sorted...heat ..means of cooking....all you need is a bit of wood....warming my toes on the rayburn as i type ....and just to top off... the kettle just ready for a cupper.....perfect timing...get the picture

I can be a smug bastard sometimes
23 March 2013, 17:38,
Ahem.. Just finished a hot cross bun, toasted on the hotplate of the Rayburn, with tea from kettle boiled on the Rayburn. Home made carrot and orange soup for lunch, simmered in the Rayburn all morning. Had to go out in the biting wind this morning to empty the ashpan while the kettle was boiling, but we won't talk about that!

Wood and/or coal takes a bit of extra work, but I think it's worth it for the off-grid security it brings.

@meg; sorry to send mixed messages, but truth is, nobody really knows what will happen with the gas - there are so many variables. If you were to pin me down for an opinion, I'd say 99% sure you're not going to have your gas cut off.

The essence of preparation, IMHO, is resilience. Making sure you're not totally dependent on one source of heat, or cooking, etc. That way, it doesn't matter whether you know for sure or not if the gas supply is at risk; you'll be prepared either way. I'm slowly working towards being "off grid ready", happy to enjoy the creature-comforts and easy life that "always on tap" electricity, water, food, etc provides, but able to switch away from it at short notice if need be. The first step was installing solid fuel heating. Next steps this spring/summer are building a solar PV system and planting a veg garden. Then rainwater harvesting. Finally, if I can convince other half, chickens.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
23 March 2013, 18:29,
Chickens.....the best move you will ever make tarrel....no trouble little effort...manure...compost...eggs....meat ...buy point of lay and off you go ...you will never regret the day.....nor will mrs tarrell
23 March 2013, 21:07,
(23 March 2013, 17:00)Straight Shooter Wrote: Think ahead meg....get a wood burning stove ...if funds allow....you will be sorted...heat ..means of cooking....all you need is a bit of wood....warming my toes on the rayburn as i type ....and just to top off... the kettle just ready for a cupper.....perfect timing...get the picture

I can be a smug bastard sometimes

Sort of difficult in a first floor flat straight shooter.
Especially one with concrete walls.
Also it is hard to think ahead being broke most the whole time.
I have read what everyone has got in their bags.
I will list my bits and pieces another time.
I am sure you will have a laugh BUT when hand me downs are most of my stuff, beggars can't be choosers.

Meg.
23 March 2013, 21:11,
No-one will laugh at you here Meg, we all started at the beginning,.. the fact that you are here and doing something no matter how little puts you ahead of the game, you may well come across someone else in your area while you are here
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 March 2013, 21:59,
Well meg as highlander has said....and ALL on here.....to a single one will ever laugh at what you have or have not...the main thing is you took the first step when you signed up here...this IS a level playing field and the best place to be... you are in the company of friends here pal...you need to understand that some are further along the line than others...thats all..but we all started off somewhere..there is a great deal of knowledge and experienced people on here...to help in anyway they can....you will soon get into the swing of things here you will be fine mate...your voice is valued
23 March 2013, 22:10,
Meg, keep an eye out in the summer for calor gas type heaters. Everyone (stupidly in my opinion) sells them cheap in the summer, seemingly forgetting winter is just around the corner. I bought mine with a full sized gas bottle around 1/2 full for £25. I went to the local tip & exchanged £10 for another empty (back hander so not every tip worker will do it) which I exchanged to a full bottle for another £30. I always keep 1 full bottle in stock plus the 1 in the heater. When it runs out I change them over & get the empty exchanged for a full 1 as soon as funds allow. If push comes to shove & they do turn mains gas off, try & live & sleep all in 1 room only. It'll save heating a whole house/flat.

Another 1 to look out for at car boot sales is camping gaz bottles & a cheap camping stove. I have a double burner & grill type stove & 4 of the camping gaz bottles. With those 2 things you'll have heating & cooking covered for a small while. Also utilise simple things like hot water bottles, tea light candles (inside a lantern available from the £1 shops or home-made for safety).

I'm relatively new to prepping aswell & if I went out & bought everything at once, well actually I just couldn't afford to. Think baby steps. 1 thing at a time. Before you know it, you will have amassed quite a stockpile of gear.
23 March 2013, 22:14,
There you go meg.....thanks rob great reply