Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few thoughts on the state of things
8 April 2013, 11:14,
A few thoughts on the state of things
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for me but in a nutshell I have a sneaky suspicion the you know what is going to hit the fan big time in the UK, Europe and possible globally and I want to be as prepared as possible, not being the type who has much faith in the government to sort out my problems for me.

I am 34 years old, work in financial software. Married with an 11 month old daughter. We have a mortgage on a three bedroom house we live in in greater London, I know debt is a big no no and we are overpaying when we can but it's not going to get paid off any time soon. We have no other debts.

I have been trying to accumulate things which I think will retain value in bad times, I have been collecting gold and silver coins for some time (Krugerrands and American Eagles). Also I have been hoarding bottles of Jack Daniels whenever I see it on special (am I a proper tin foil hat or what?). I have a bicycle and cycle everywhere rather than relying on a car. I have been learning how to grow vegetables, we have a small garden but making good use of the space, using lots of containers. I have a rainwater collection system.

We have a garage which I am looking to make beter use of. I was thinking of getting a 3d printer, maybe a cnc or lazer cutter, and maybe even start brewing beer. Do you think it's worth getting solar panels?

Am I paranoid even by survivaluk standards?
8 April 2013, 11:20,
RE: A few thoughts on the state of things
Welcome to the site

That all sounds like a good foundation for further preparation. A lot of what you mentioned is recommended as being environmentally friendly anyway. Be careful about buying coins for barter, especially gold. Whilst it's good as a very compact store of wealth, it's also very hard to split up into the day to day purchases you would be making with precious metals. You also can't eat them. During the economic collapse in Argentina, there was usually someone buying gold at the various markets that appeared. Rings were very popular to exchange for cash or other goods. The only problem was that you only got the price of the lowest common denominator of gold, or 9 ct. People with high content coins lost out as they did not get the full value.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
8 April 2013, 11:21,
(8 April 2013, 11:14)Sardo_Numpsa Wrote: Am I paranoid even by survivaluk standards?

you are not paranoid Bro, you have just joined the ranks of the sane people, its the Sheeple that are nuts!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2013, 11:28,
Hello from londonistan
No you are not paranoid you are awake
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
8 April 2013, 11:34,
You are doing exactly what any man would do when he sees the World is going down the pan. you are taking responsibility for your families safety and wellbeing rather than rely on the government to do it for you as the majority of the population do.
Welcome to the world of free thought it's a refreshing place to be.
8 April 2013, 11:52,
TPTB dont like people having a mind of their own, your supposed to do what they tell you to do.....yeah, as if!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2013, 11:58,
Welcome mate. What's the 3d printer for? Would it not be better spending the 3d printer cash on beans, spam, hot dogs & corned beef etc..?

That's not meant as a criticism of your choice, each to their own & a 3d printer may be of more use to you than me.
8 April 2013, 12:02,
Welcome SN

is there any indications from within your industry that things are on the change for the worse?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
8 April 2013, 13:08,
I'm looking at a CNC machine and a 3D printer as well. Last on my list though. Brewing booze is a good skill to have.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 April 2013, 13:17,
Welcome to the forum