Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few thoughts on the state of things
8 April 2013, 11:14,
A few thoughts on the state of things
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for me but in a nutshell I have a sneaky suspicion the you know what is going to hit the fan big time in the UK, Europe and possible globally and I want to be as prepared as possible, not being the type who has much faith in the government to sort out my problems for me.

I am 34 years old, work in financial software. Married with an 11 month old daughter. We have a mortgage on a three bedroom house we live in in greater London, I know debt is a big no no and we are overpaying when we can but it's not going to get paid off any time soon. We have no other debts.

I have been trying to accumulate things which I think will retain value in bad times, I have been collecting gold and silver coins for some time (Krugerrands and American Eagles). Also I have been hoarding bottles of Jack Daniels whenever I see it on special (am I a proper tin foil hat or what?). I have a bicycle and cycle everywhere rather than relying on a car. I have been learning how to grow vegetables, we have a small garden but making good use of the space, using lots of containers. I have a rainwater collection system.

We have a garage which I am looking to make beter use of. I was thinking of getting a 3d printer, maybe a cnc or lazer cutter, and maybe even start brewing beer. Do you think it's worth getting solar panels?

Am I paranoid even by survivaluk standards?

Messages In This Thread
A few thoughts on the state of things - by Sardo_Numpsa - 8 April 2013, 11:14