Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review Smock Combat, Windproof, Woodland DPM Cotton
22 November 2011, 16:58,
Review Smock Combat, Windproof, Woodland DPM Cotton
Review Smock
Combat, Windproof, Woodland DPM Cotton
Copyright NR 2011

After finally being happy with the modifications I made to my Mountain Warehouse 200 G fleece then not being overly chuffed to find out that about the same time loads of companies were launching tactical fleeces, I sought out a suitable top coat for foul weather tactical usage and EDC use.

I’ve tried Gore tex hiking coats but never got away with them, tried other systems of coats and always found them wanting, and still not being able to afford top notch mountaineering kit I turning my attention back to my roots, IE the British army. I need a tough, COMFORTABLE, well fitting, adjustable, easy clean, rugged, very functional and affordable jacket to carry my EDC kit and its got to be utterly reliable.

30 years ago on and off duty I only ever wore a DPM or Black SAS smock by Radar of Redcar, or a standard issue 1980s pattern DPM combat jacket, it was to this family of clothes I returned to investigate again.

So for the last 8 weeks I have been EDCing a current issue Disruptive Pattern Smock in Woodland colours (no desire to look like a modern desert warrior) and have to say I’m absolutely delighted with this jacket. It is the LEAST modified coat I have ever owned, I normally spend hours cutting, sewing trimming or altering coats I use as a Prepper.

The Smock Itself.
It’s a treated close weave cotton smock with full length double ended very tough two way nylon zip, it has a rolled up hood secured by a cord loop over a button. The zip is covered by a windproof flap secured by Velcro tabs

Design

1 x very small pocket on LH sleeve secured by Velcro tab
2 x upper chest pockets
2 x lower pockets
The pockets are of the pleated bellows type
All of the front pockets have fold over tops secured by Canadian pattern slotted buttons
The upper front has also got 2 x internal pockets accessed by zips on the outside of the jacket
A chest mounted rank slide is also fitted.

On the inside the jacket has a waist adjuster cord and an elasticated bottom hem cord

Water resistant
The jacket itself is treated with both IR reducing agents and water proofing agents that leave it VERY water resistant but NOT water proof, being natural fibres it breathes a bit so you don’t get sweaty when working hard with it on.

Don’t dry clean
If you dry clean this jacket you will ruin the IR reducing coating and remove much of the water proofing, 60 degree wash, warm steam iron dry, Can be tumble dried.
Re-waterproof after every 3rd wash with in-wash waterproofing treatment.

Shortcomings
The only bit I’m not overly pleased about is the modern smock no longer has a pen pocket on the sleeve like the early versions,

Quality
Every bit as good as Cold War era DPM smocks made from good quality cloth, thread and fittings, VASTLY superior to the bloody awful poor quality early 90s issue smocks.

Modifications
I have only fitted so far a press stud popper on the hem of the smock to help keep it closed when worn in the tucked under blouson style so beloved of old ex-squaddies like me, I may sew on an extra piece of cloth or two to fasten microphones to or to run earpiece cables through.

IF I was still a Rifleman and facing the Russian hoards in Germany I would almost certainly cut off all the noisy damn Velcro and fit buttons or press studs to the jacket, The noise Velcro makes when being opened is hellishly noisy at night when trying to hide in a battlefield.

OVERALL OPINION

I Love this jacket, and wish I could find one in a plain colour.

22 November 2011, 17:32,
RE: Review Smock Combat, Windproof, Woodland DPM Cotton
Do you have a picture?
A link to where we can buy it?
How much does it cost?
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
22 November 2011, 17:37, (This post was last modified: 22 November 2011, 17:39 by NorthernRaider.)
I got mine off E bay, but you can get them from most mil suppliers like the link below
http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=1570

You can also search for the kit by Nato Stock Number IE
8415-99-573-5262
Here is a pick of it from my Flikr acount
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/6104025072/

28 October 2012, 22:23,
aha, I thought this would be on here somewhere. Thanks for the review, it was exactly what I'm looking for. How's this jacket still serving you NR?
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
28 October 2012, 22:46,
Superbly mon ami, superbly its been hammered this summer keeping this old cripple comfy, reasonably dry , I tend to wear either a T shirt undernearth or multi layers of microfleece etc, should last me for years to come.

28 October 2012, 22:49,
looks like good money an all, might have to invest in one meself after reading that, cheers for the review NR Smile
28 October 2012, 22:53, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2012, 22:54 by NorthernRaider.)
It really is a flipping good coat, thats the only way of describing it, always make sure you get one slightly oversized guys, so when fastened it traps warm air inside and also if the pockets are full of kit they kit does not dig in to your skin.

I know its more of a squaddie thing but this is one of those jackets you can fall asleep wearing if your knackered after bugging out, many other coats get uncomfortable in places if your trying to powernap during a bug out, but the smock is generously cut so you can litterally curl up some place and get some battle zeds in.
Course you guys wont look as goddamn cool n sexy as me wearing it though Smile Smile

28 October 2012, 23:33,
great to hear it's serving you well still. And I love the idea of being able to roll under a bush or a tree and nap in this mid bug out.

I think if I can get hold of some spare buttons for it I'll replace the velcro on the arm pouch. Also if the smock can take it I'll add an internal map sleeve. Thanks very much for the help NR
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
29 October 2012, 00:43,
(28 October 2012, 22:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: I know its more of a squaddie thing but this is one of those jackets you can fall asleep wearing if your knackered after bugging out, many other coats get uncomfortable in places if your trying to powernap during a bug out, but the smock is generously cut so you can litterally curl up some place and get some battle zeds in.
Course you guys wont look as goddamn cool n sexy as me wearing it though Smile Smile

thats why i used to always wear me army coat whatever the weather was, all year round and to most parties i ever went to, no matter how fucked i was i could always know i'd be warm...and yes ive woken up in bushes with that coat on...the kinda coat you can sleep in and be comfy is exactly the kinda coat you need, so if its got "sleeping credentials" its A-okay in my book Smile
29 October 2012, 10:12, (This post was last modified: 29 October 2012, 10:14 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 October 2012, 23:33)preservefreak Wrote: great to hear it's serving you well still. And I love the idea of being able to roll under a bush or a tree and nap in this mid bug out.

I think if I can get hold of some spare buttons for it I'll replace the velcro on the arm pouch. Also if the smock can take it I'll add an internal map sleeve. Thanks very much for the help NR

Its already got two zipped vertical map pockets on the upper chest behind the pleated pockets.
(28 October 2012, 23:33)preservefreak Wrote: great to hear it's serving you well still. And I love the idea of being able to roll under a bush or a tree and nap in this mid bug out.

Done exactly that on many occasions from Northern Ireland to Germany, to Otterburn, Salisbury, Breckons (not many trees) Catterick etc Smile