Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting TV show
27 November 2011, 23:15,
Interesting TV show
Just watched a program called My Flat Pack home on the Home channnel of Sky 246, episode called Eyre. What it was advertised as was three parts of one family deciding to replace a 1930s holiday cabin with a more modern flat pack structure.

What made me sit up and take more notice was some of the terminology being used to describe this new flat pack built 3 bedrooom property.

" Holiday Retreat" was the first clue, "Isolated location" was the second, "Off-Grid" was the third, then the inclusion of a wood burning heating system, a full sized PV array capable of providing this holiday chalet will all of its power and a water catchment system being installed because the ground water flow of one litre a second was insufficient also caught my attention. Then the fact this chalet had cost the three families £120,000 settled it for me.

They can call this structure in Shropshire what ever they want but there is no hiding the fact it was clearly a survival retreat.

On a similar vein A Place in the Country recently showed a couple desperately wanting an isolated self sufficient, off grid eco home with space for chooks, and veg with an independent water supply for the place.

Not so long back Grand Designs made 4 episodes that involved families wanting secure off grid self sufficient homes.

I definately see a trend developing as prepping goes mainstream.

28 November 2011, 06:42,
RE: Interesting TV show
I have seen a number of the Grand Designs programmes and I agree with what you say. It certainly appears that there are other preppers about and they are keeping there heads down. If this is true, then there must be others that we do not know about. We too, must think along these lines. I think that most people could build homes in the woods when times get tough. I will think aboutwriting a few articles about this. Kenneth Eames.