Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
wild camping anyone?
12 June 2013, 18:22,
wild camping anyone?
Hey all just thought I would throw this one out there and see how it goes.
Me and the missus have been discussing where to move forward with our prepping lives and think that we need some real survival experience. So looking online I found out that Dartmoor will let you wild camp, check out the map of areas that are OK to pitch up in:

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/__data/as...ap_309.pdf

So I was thinking of getting a few (up to 6 maybe) people together and having a go at some hiking and camping overnight one weekend in a few months time. If anyone from the city can get a train out of Paddington I would be happy to drive them possibly splitting petrol money of whatever.

If I suggest going with my mates I know we will get half way there, get pissed up and game over, so I think it would be neat to try it with some people that I don't know RL to kinda simulate how we would get on working with people we may not usually mix with.

I'm not suggesting I should lead the team or anything as the most experienced person should, I just wanted to gague responses before looking into it further. I'm expecting a bit of a mixed bag of replys on this one but just wanted to put it out there anyway Smile
12 June 2013, 18:43,
RE: wild camping anyone?
sound like a good idea I hope you get some interest but it's a bit to far for me to travel
12 June 2013, 19:14,
Come on I-K-E, don't wuss out of this one.

I'm up for that MCavity. Wife loves Dartmoor too, so that'll probably be 2 of us.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 June 2013, 20:44,
I wish you good luck with this and I hope it works out. With S13 on board, you have to have a good head start! Smile

I'm sure you saw that Road Warrior's RV didn't work out in the end because of what seemed to me to be a lack of interest (I could be wrong...) I tried to gauge interest for a casual meet and greet in this area but after I sent out a 'this is me' sort of PM, responses were minimal. (I blame no-one for that, by the way, it may just be how things are or OPSEC issues or just for another time! Maybe learning a bit about me put everyone off! Big Grin)

I hope that doesn't sound as though I'm trying to put a dampener on you - far from it! I'm still convinced that there's a lot to be gained from meets and I hope up here, we'll be able to achieve something, sometime.

For you, I certainly wish you the very best of luck and will watch with interest, if you don't do it all in PM, that is! Smile

12 June 2013, 23:22,
The Falcon could be well up for this will PM you to let you know the crack
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
13 June 2013, 10:00,
(12 June 2013, 20:44)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: I wish you good luck with this and I hope it works out. With S13 on board, you have to have a good head start! Smile

Well, I'm going for sure, even if it's just me on my tod. Love the idea of sleeping up on some tor! But I think SD might not okay that behaviour in a social setting, as it would endanger other people's lives if they copied me, or I fell on them haha. As long as work okay it, or I've been on time enough to pull a sicky haha.

As long as it's not the weekend of the 22nd June (wife is having her birthday BBQ). How awesome is that, a vegi wife that invites people over to eat meat!!! Speaking of wives, if you come along Falcon, you'll get to meet my wife....if I can convince her to let the dogs stay at home for a bit.
13 June 2013, 10:12,
(13 June 2013, 10:00)Scythe13 Wrote: I think SD might not okay that behaviour in a social setting, as it would endanger other people's lives if they copied me, or I fell on them haha.

I'm not anyones Mum. I'm a big supporter of Darwin in these cases.

Usually the worse case is a lost nights sleep and a story to tell but some are more severe than that.

You don't need my permission for things like this.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 June 2013, 10:21,
I'm interested. But will need the dates so I can put holidays in to get time off work. I defo need more hands on experience and maybe someone to help point me in right direction. I live in north east and willing to travel to find a way to get to where we wanna be. Please keep me informed. Smile
13 June 2013, 10:24,
Even though it's wild camping, feel free to bring a tent. I don't think anyone will have a problem with that.

Best plan of action, bring a tent, set it up on the Friday or Saturday morning, and then build a shelter afterwards. If the shelter is any good, you're fine. If it sucks, that's okay, you have a tent waiting for you, and space blankets too ;-)
13 June 2013, 11:02,
(13 June 2013, 10:24)Scythe13 Wrote: Even though it's wild camping, feel free to bring a tent. I don't think anyone will have a problem with that.

Best plan of action, bring a tent, set it up on the Friday or Saturday morning, and then build a shelter afterwards. If the shelter is any good, you're fine. If it sucks, that's okay, you have a tent waiting for you, and space blankets too ;-)
build a shelter? with what?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.