Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocket Heater Build
23 July 2013, 22:12,
Rocket Heater Build
I have built three rocket heaters in my lifetime. I normally build them out of cob and firebrick. After heavy use they tend to fail or not perform up to par. Recently I built a new green house which has my Aquaponics system in it. I wanted a rocket heater that last so I researched on you tube and found a company that manufactures rocket heater cores. http://www.dragonheaters.com The website is full of great information when it comes to heating. They also have a good blog if your into that type of thing. Rocket heaters use 75% less wood than any conventional wood heater on the market. They produce zero smoke and very little ash. Check them out I think you will be happy with what you find. They have a youtube channel as well

cheers
24 July 2013, 10:17,
RE: Rocket Heater Build
It's a shame they're in the US.
4 August 2013, 08:59,
Rocket heaters are the way to go, I'm planning a conservatory ( Posh lean too Green house ) against the back of the house and am intending to install one as the main heat source.
Having seen plans that include using the flue itself as a heat sink that will stay warm hours after the flames have gone out, built with concrete and river stones.

Have concerned using the type that include some sort of oven for cooking, maybe not hot enough for roosting but would be great for bread or stews.
4 August 2013, 19:36,
i built a hobo stove out of a aldi new potato spud tin only took 15 mins ,been looking out for a whistling camping kettle i found one in a army surplus store in kiddiminster but it was £7.99 far to much but today i got the same one for £ 4.99 so tomorrow morning blast off ,morning cupper from a hobo stove .
the store i used was b&m bargins [if anybodys interested ]
Survive the jive (youtube )
5 August 2013, 00:16,
I keep meaning to start this for myself, but have been so crazy busy, not even been able to start the greenhouse!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
15 September 2013, 08:25,
It may have been on here before, but I'm part way through building this rocket stove

http://www.thediyworld.com/DIY-Rocket-St...ur-Own.php

I have the large tin and the vertical inner ones already plus the cat litter.
I got a catering size tin rather than a coffee tin as they are stronger. The vertical section is two Branston baked been tins (other brands are available!).
I just need to find a longish but smaller diameter tin for the horizontal part now.
I will update when it progresses a bit further.
18 September 2013, 20:40,
The rocket stove is now finished. It was very easy to light and burnt well giving off a good heat and practically no smoke. The cat litter worked well as insulation and kept the outside very cool.
As I have plenty of cat litter left I shall start gathering the bits to make a bigger one.
18 September 2013, 21:31,
(18 September 2013, 20:40)Dorset Lad Wrote: The rocket stove is now finished. It was very easy to light and burnt well giving off a good heat and practically no smoke. The cat litter worked well as insulation and kept the outside very cool.
As I have plenty of cat litter left I shall start gathering the bits to make a bigger one.

how heavy is it , how long did it take to make
Survive the jive (youtube )
19 September 2013, 08:46,
(18 September 2013, 20:40)Dorset Lad Wrote: The rocket stove is now finished. It was very easy to light and burnt well giving off a good heat and practically no smoke. The cat litter worked well as insulation and kept the outside very cool.

That's awesome.

Get some pics up in here. Did you put a thermal mass section on the chimney?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 September 2013, 08:36, (This post was last modified: 22 September 2013, 08:39 by Dorset Lad.)
It weighs I guess, about 1kg. and took no more than an hour to build once I got the bits together. I will try to get some pics of it on here.

I built it as shown in the link above then just warmed my hands over it. I'm thinking of adding a pot stand to the top. Just a heavy wire construction that can stick into the litter.