Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
got pulses stored?
14 December 2011, 23:59,
got pulses stored?
I put this up on the old forum, but I'll repost it for a new audience

A few months back Hobo from UKP recommended to me the Bean Book by Rose Elliot. I got a second hand copy for a couple of quid and have since been trying the recipes in it. I have a very healthy stock of beans, pulses, dried peas and such for back up protein (it's still quite cheap, it has almost complete amino acids and I for one really like them. oh and will last 5-10 years easy [some say 15-20 years] if kept dry and away from the air and bugs) and I think this book is an excellent addition to the library of anyone putting them in their food storage. Hobo was right on the money when he recommended this book to me.

by the way it was reprinted a few years ago to have lots of shiny pictures in it. If you find that easier in a cookbook go for it, I got the older 79 version which has more recipes and information in it.

PF
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
15 December 2011, 07:05,
RE: got pulses stored?
PF, I saw this book many years ago and its well worth having. I do not have a copy, the copy I used to look at was owned by a sister-in-law. I do like plenty of pulses in my diet and as you say plenty of protein etc.. Kenneth Eames.
15 December 2011, 10:53,
I've some grain and pulses but not enough. It is something that the US talk about all the time and we don't really do anything with as we don't see them as staples. There are a few articles on the main site in the early days on grains and why we should store them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 December 2011, 06:35,
Pulses, grains and vegetables are very important for vitamins and amino acids plus meat or fish. We can hunt and fish but need a good supply of the other three until our seeds produce a good crop. Don't forget to store small artists brushes to pollinate seed from your crops. Rabbits paws can be used but aren't as effective. Kenneth Eames.
16 December 2011, 14:53,
well I was vegetarian for a year or so in my early twenties (yes, it was because of a woman) and I became really quite fond of the various peas and beans. chickpeas, kidney beans, barley, split peas, lentils, I enjoy them all. Those along with rice and oats make a large part of my dry storage. But all I really did to them back them was curry them and use them as quorn substitutes (hate quorn). Having a couple of recipe books that just focus on them gives me a lot more versatility meal wise when TSHTF.
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.