Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Info for cacheing books
13 October 2013, 19:05,
RE: Info for cacheing books
I've never tried to bury a book before although I have put plenty into storage nor have I heard of any books surviving long term in storage.

As you are looking for about 20 years max and I have stored books in an ordinary room for over 30 years I would guess that as long as they were kept dry and away from light they would be fine. Not hear of anything been eaten by anything.

However, you are talking about burying books. That does several things,
one it puts the container touching a damp environment wheich causes condensation on the inside,
two, it means you need a sealed container and this moisture on the inside is trapped and is obsorbed by the books, you can put silica gel in to obsorb water to resolve this but paper obsorbs water too.
three,the moisture in the air encourages mould. Mould is really bad for books.

So,you will need a sealable plastic box, and a lot of silica gel. Otherwise you can just put them in a corner of your loft where they will do fine as long as there is no mice. Platic box with holes in will keep themout.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin

Messages In This Thread
Info for cacheing books - by Kenneth Eames - 13 October 2013, 18:35
RE: Info for cacheing books - by Scythe13 - 13 October 2013, 18:43
RE: Info for cacheing books - by Skean Dhude - 13 October 2013, 19:05
RE: Info for cacheing books - by Highlander - 13 October 2013, 20:30