Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
27 October 2013, 15:56,
Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFF –GRID ?

BACKUP CHARGING ?
There are a lot of us who (A) cannot afford to live off grid, the cost of an extensive solar array plus chargers and deep cycle batteries is prohibitive. (B) don’t want to live off grid but still would like to see in the dark after power cuts even extended period power cuts, these folks like me would like to have at least enough light available to sit and read a book, or potter in the workshop, finish cooking a meal or find their way around the house at night. IE they want a BACKUP lighting / power system to sustain them possibly for months if TSHTF but they don’t want to live entirely disconnected from the mains grid supplies.

This got me looking at what is available that could help us on limited funds and in places where a full dollar / wind setup may not be feasible or affordable.

I have found that by buying a £40 solar battery top up charger from Halfords for example that is 12 VDC and 6 watts, I can connect it without using an expensive battery to one of these “ Canister” 12VDC power hubs ( £20). Basically the thing is designed to plug into the fag lighter sockets and its outlets can give you up to four more car fag lighter type outlets (round sockets things) for charging PMR or Ham radios, CBs, flash lights AND between 2 and 4 USB ports feeding 5 volts for recharging CELL PHONES, LAPTOP PCS, I Phones, and any other items of kit that are designed to be rechargeable from a USB port.

That mini set up in itself if it passes the scrutiny of the more electrically competent types such as Highland Al or Lightspeed may offer a viable option for the budget conscious prepper.

BACKUP LIGHTING ??

Next moving onto BACK UP Lighting, on the same web sites I have been looking it there are now decent quality kits and lighting devices that charge up by solar power to INTEGRAL battery cells and provide decent white LED lighting supplies for off mains sheds, workshops and garages.

Many of these SOLAR SHED LIGHT KITS come with 2 or 4 low voltage LED lights that will work for hours at a time on demand. These “ shed kits” are ideal as emergency backup lighting systems for the budget conscious prepper who could just as easily install the LED lights in the home for use during power cuts or outages??

I have even seen 12 VDC solar power water pump kits for garden ponds, they could be used by the budget conscious prepper to move captured rain water to your filter or storage containers elsewhere on your property, or just to top up your cold water tank ??

So providing I’m not barking completely up the wrong tree with my very limited knowledge of electricity I’m hoping that an affordable solar powered BACKUP system may be an option some of us could adopt.

I like the idea of simple self contained stand alone systems and hope this concept may be practical
Can anyone please advise me?

Posted to both forums for advice
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...ogId=10151
http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0...A500P.html

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0...w/SSL.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390496648...80&ff14=83

27 October 2013, 16:11,
RE: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
Been looking at this myself, its cheaper if you get the components and build it. I was thinking of starting small and adding to it as and when.
Failure is NOT an option
27 October 2013, 16:20,
I have been looking at 'lazy boy' style shed lighting, and figured a set of automatic solar lights would work, but not idea for when I want to remain hidden. So I started looking at solar lights I could turn on and off. So far the best value seems to be this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-control-S...solar+shed

However, I'm looking at something higher powered, so am not looking too much at these really.

Hope this helps.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 October 2013, 16:26,
i'll probably get jumped on from a great height for this, but IF we are talking POST SHTF and i'm assuming we are, why does anyone WANT electricity once the power has gone off for good? wouldn't it be better to alter your lifestyle to suit the times? just my personal thoughts so don't all shout at once!!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2013, 18:18,
Hi NorthernRaider - my tuppence worth.

First off, your idea is spot on, have a budget power back up system for LED lighting and low energy devices such as cell phone charging etc.

If I can start off by saying that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. You simply can't get more power out of a backup system than what you can put in. I say that cos so many people think that you can go out and buy something like the Halfords solar battery charger and their problems are solved for providing electrical back up. This charger is a mere 6W on a good clear sunny day and that equates to just 0.5 amps. This is a mere trickle charge at best and won't keep a working battery going. Great for keeping a stored battery topped up but that's it. Now imagine what it's performance would be like on short dark winter days. Zip.Confused

The water pump is also very low power, 3W. "Water Flow Capacity: max 250 litres/hour (light dependent)" sounds really good, and it is, but then you've got to factor in the "Max fountain height: 100cm (jet fountain head & direct sunlight)". Those are, again, ideal conditions. Any higher and the pump will start to struggle. Dark cloudy days, time to go to sleep.

Solar shed light looks good but there's very little info on the site so can't comment further. I'm assuming that this shed light has an integral battery which I'd avoid. The ebay item, for the same money, looks the better deal by far and you also have the option to replace the AA rechargable batteries if/when they expire. Big plus is the plug n play aspect but personally, like uks, I'd go for separate units for more control over part replacements/upgrades.

Back to your original query, it all boils down to what you want to do with a back up system. If it's just for LED lights and charging your cell phone, you can set yourself up for very little money. Laptops take a lot more power than you think, 50W at least judging by our own netbooks n laptops. That's a constant 4 - 5 amps on a 12V battery for however long it takes to charge/use. Get into anything that's more power hungry like a fridge or freezer and you really will have to invest in a much bigger more powerful system. But that's another story. Tongue

Believe it or not, you can get a 40W solar panel for about £40, the controller £10. If you have a reasonable 12v car battery knocking about then that will be a good starting system. Get more serious with a new 125ah ultra deep cycle battery for about £89 delivered. Sounds a lot but when compared to car battery prices these days, I think it's a steal. Hook up one of those car power adaptors with a usb port and you're away. Big Grin

So, at the end of the day, your ideal set up will depend entirely on your power requirements matching up to your budget.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
27 October 2013, 19:20,
(27 October 2013, 16:26)bigpaul Wrote: i'll probably get jumped on from a great height for this, but IF we are talking POST SHTF and i'm assuming we are, why does anyone WANT electricity once the power has gone off for good? wouldn't it be better to alter your lifestyle to suit the times? just my personal thoughts so don't all shout at once!!!Big GrinBig Grin

That is the beauty of prepping. You make your own choices and prep for what you want.

Most of us want to retain electrickery for as long as we can. Solar panels will only last about 25 years so we should make the most of it while we can.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 October 2013, 19:49,
Nix old chap, would it be possible for you to list what is needed as per your post and show us how to connect up that set up, been looking at this for ages fact is I have not got a clue what I should be looking for and funds are tight, also can your setup incorperate a a 240 inverter

This would help others to I think thanks SS
27 October 2013, 20:51,
No probs SS, glad to help. Think I've already mentioned a small set up with links in other posts but perhaps I need to update that.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
27 October 2013, 21:00,
NR

Can you possibly point us towards a link for a 12v power hub?

Ta
27 October 2013, 21:05,
(27 October 2013, 15:56)NorthernRaider Wrote: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFF –GRID ?

BACKUP CHARGING ?
There are a lot of us who (A) cannot afford to live off grid, the cost of an extensive solar array plus chargers and deep cycle batteries is prohibitive. (B) don’t want to live off grid but still would like to see in the dark after power cuts even extended period power cuts, these folks like me would like to have at least enough light available to sit and read a book, or potter in the workshop, finish cooking a meal or find their way around the house at night. IE they want a BACKUP lighting / power system to sustain them possibly for months if TSHTF but they don’t want to live entirely disconnected from the mains grid supplies.

This got me looking at what is available that could help us on limited funds and in places where a full dollar / wind setup may not be feasible or affordable.

I have found that by buying a £40 solar battery top up charger from Halfords for example that is 12 VDC and 6 watts, I can connect it without using an expensive battery to one of these “ Canister” 12VDC power hubs ( £20). Basically the thing is designed to plug into the fag lighter sockets and its outlets can give you up to four more car fag lighter type outlets (round sockets things) for charging PMR or Ham radios, CBs, flash lights AND between 2 and 4 USB ports feeding 5 volts for recharging CELL PHONES, LAPTOP PCS, I Phones, and any other items of kit that are designed to be rechargeable from a USB port.

That mini set up in itself if it passes the scrutiny of the more electrically competent types such as Highland Al or Lightspeed may offer a viable option for the budget conscious prepper.

BACKUP LIGHTING ??

Next moving onto BACK UP Lighting, on the same web sites I have been looking it there are now decent quality kits and lighting devices that charge up by solar power to INTEGRAL battery cells and provide decent white LED lighting supplies for off mains sheds, workshops and garages.

Many of these SOLAR SHED LIGHT KITS come with 2 or 4 low voltage LED lights that will work for hours at a time on demand. These “ shed kits” are ideal as emergency backup lighting systems for the budget conscious prepper who could just as easily install the LED lights in the home for use during power cuts or outages??

I have even seen 12 VDC solar power water pump kits for garden ponds, they could be used by the budget conscious prepper to move captured rain water to your filter or storage containers elsewhere on your property, or just to top up your cold water tank ??

So providing I’m not barking completely up the wrong tree with my very limited knowledge of electricity I’m hoping that an affordable solar powered BACKUP system may be an option some of us could adopt.

I like the idea of simple self contained stand alone systems and hope this concept may be practical
Can anyone please advise me?

Posted to both forums for advice
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...ogId=10151
http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0...A500P.html

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0...w/SSL.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/390496648...80&ff14=83
I posted this a while back, hope it may help. The pics are near the end of the thread:

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=5844

LAC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.