Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
27 October 2013, 22:42, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2013, 23:02 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
Sorry have not got a link, I bought mine from Halfords last August, it’s a male 12VDC plug on a curly lead into a canister that has 4 outlets, 2 x 12VDC female and 2 x 5 volt USB 2 ports with a set of micro LEDs to show the charge rate. It cost about £10.

All I did was cut the male plug off the curly cable and joined it directly to a small solar battery top up panel thingys leads. (My large 80Watt Panel is still boxed up and in store.)

Obviously the USB2 5 volt outlets are regulated by circuitry inside the canister, but I’m trying to fathom out how or if I need to regulate the fag lighter 12VDC outlets ????? without incorporating a storage battery or charge controller into this very basic simple system ?

(27 October 2013, 21:00)River Song Wrote: NR
Can you possibly point us towards a link for a 12v power hub?
Ta

Naturally ten seconds after finishing that reply I find a link to the hub thingys ( proper name is multi sockets apparently)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...ltisockets

(27 October 2013, 22:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: Sorry have not got a link, I bought mine from Halfords last August, it’s a male 12VDC plug on a curly lead into a canister that has 4 outlets, 2 x 12VDC female and 2 x 5 volt USB 2 ports with a set of micro LEDs to show the charge rate. It cost about £10.

All I did was cut the male plug off the curly cable and joined it directly to a small solar battery top up panel thingys leads. (My large 80Watt Panel is still boxed up and in store.)

Obviously the USB2 5 volt outlets are regulated by circuitry inside the canister, but I’m trying to fathom out how or if I need to regulate the fag lighter 12VDC outlets ????? without incorporating a storage battery or charge controller into this very basic simple system ?

(27 October 2013, 21:00)River Song Wrote: NR
Can you possibly point us towards a link for a 12v power hub?
Ta

BTW if your loaded like SD you can always buy a complete micro off grid kit designed for third world countries but absolutely ideal as a back up kit from British preppers

http://www.bboxx.co.uk/solar_kits.php

Messages In This Thread
RE: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please? - by NorthernRaider - 27 October 2013, 22:42