Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
28 October 2013, 13:39,
RE: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please?
NR - if you already have an 80W panel and 10A controller, you're practically there tbh. Unless you go for a mini usb solar charger, I'm afraid you have to connect a battery, even a really small 12v one, to the controller for it to initiate properly and get a reference voltage. This should prevent an over voltage situation with whatever is attached. Small 2.1ah alarm back up batteries might do the trick for you. Otherwise, you may consider a 10W panel with diode option that will give a direct connection of about 0.9A on a good sunny day? Problem with these is that the voltage range on a lot of 12v solar panels can go up to 17v and could damage an attached unit that doesn't like anything above 12v - 13v eg some cctv cameras where a regulated supply is an absolute must! I suppose, thinking about it, if you did have one of these 10W trickle charge panels and connected a 12v car power adaptor it may regulate some of that voltage range for you as it would have to cope with a vehicles higher charging voltage as well. Without trying it myself first I wouldn't really like to recommend it though.

Personally, I'd play safe and go for a small alarm battery to utilise what you already have and connect your hub to that. The battery should act as a voltage regulator and get everything working properly. Don't think of it as stored energy but as an essential part of the system. If it needs to be portable, there's a good range of light weight flexible pv panels that roll up but are more expensive.

The above set up should also provide enough energy to power a suitable 12v pump to shift some water. It'll simply be down to finding the right pump with enough oomph to satisfy your 3m height criteria.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Solar BACK UP kit not full time OFFGRID ? help please? - by Nix - 28 October 2013, 13:39