Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Combat - Dave Grossman
18 November 2013, 23:19,
On Combat - Dave Grossman
This is a fantastic book on the psychology and physiology of deadly combat.

I've stepped into the cage 8 times and my body has had the shakes before and after, I've experienced massive adrenaline dumps, and prolonged adrenaline dumps with a short 'combat period' that have ended up with me not being able to sleep properly for ages! It turns out, it's all just a natural reaction. When I've been excited to fight, I've had the shakes, and people have thought it was fear. Again, it's natural from adrenaline.

It was recommended by a friend of mine and it gives you a great heads up on what's going to happen to your body during actual 'deadly combat', which is going to be a major step up from what I'm 'used to'.

For those who are not military trained, it gives a wonderful insight into what you can expect, and how you can learn to cope with the changes that happen to you, your mind, and also your body. It explains why you're tired afterwards, why people's bowels open up, and shows that it's all okay if that happens to you. It basically lifts the lid on the 'unspoken subjects' of war.

The reason so many hardened soldiers take a 'combat dump' is explained. The reason why a debrief is so important. How to properly read physical reactions and how to think post-combat to better deal with what you went though.

If you think I'm being a weak-civilian for reading this, then so be it. But this book is a must read for so many people. Speaking about being a 'weak-civilian', this book is also recommended reading, and the guy who wrote it teaches, many special forces units, as well as police specials e.g. SWAT, all around the world. So before you call me a weak-civilian for reading this, go speak to the Green Berets and call them out first...or go to GunSight and call the guys there out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, considering I'm only about half way though the book and a little over half way through the audiobook, and providing it continues the way it is currently going, I'd give this a 9.5/10. Very good read, very informative, and in my opinion, it's a must read.

It's also available as an audiobook, which makes the drive to work much more bearable.

If you've not read it, in my opinion, you're missing out. Maybe I should have given it a 10/10.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 November 2013, 23:34,
RE: On Combat - Dave Grossman
the worst thing i've ever experienced is getting pumped , the adrenaline is coursing then the contact is over before you can get involved....the come down is shit,
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 November 2013, 00:44,
Try training with shock knives they get the heart rate up
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
19 November 2013, 01:27,
just looked up shocknives...sounds like a low power tazer to me...are they legit here?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
19 November 2013, 01:51,
We were using one training last weekend so I guess so lol
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
24 November 2013, 23:16,
Ah... all that you describe, very similar to an anxiety attack. Except for the lack of stimuli involved in starting up an attack, now that's the problem.
Positively Pessimistic
24 November 2013, 23:21,
(24 November 2013, 23:16)Kiril Wrote: Ah... all that you describe, very similar to an anxiety attack. Except for the lack of stimuli involved in starting up an attack, now that's the problem.

There's 100 times more info in the book. The panic attack thing makes sense, but it only seems that way from my inability to better explain the detail in the book.

Give it a read and you'll be thanking me.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 November 2013, 23:59,
Going to ask santa for it.
Positively Pessimistic