Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island off the coast for a bol...
26 December 2011, 17:15, (This post was last modified: 26 December 2011, 17:17 by mikebratcher69.)
Island off the coast for a bol...
I was just thinking, should shtf, an island off the coast would be safer than the mainland for us prepper and our families.
Anybody think its a good idea?
I mean we could all search online on google earth, maybe have an island bol for us to use should shtf, definatly more defendable , more isolated, we could still recce to the mainland for food or equipment etc... and should it be a wrol situation us and our families would be much safer amongst like minded folks no?
It wouldnt have to be huge I dont think, maybe we could all have the island as a last resort or back up bol in case our primary bol goes ti*s up.
what ya think folks? Then that way as well us paranoid preppers wouldnt need to give up our bols but we'd have a back up plan...
We could perhaps visit it during peace time so to say, recce it do meets there, camp out omongst the stars bla bla... as long as its not privatly owned perhaps we could?
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
26 December 2011, 17:41,
RE: Island off the coast for a bol...
Well I did think about this in great depth a few years ago when i was considering the total loss scenerio for the UK, IE if the event was so horrific the preppers had to flee Britains mainland where would we go. Which pushed me into studying boats before I got round to destinations.

I came up with the Falklands, New Zealands south Island, The islands around Teirra del feugo, Ascencion island, Tristan da Chuna, St Helena, Jersey, Gurnsey, Malta, Cyprus but my favourite for absolute isolation was Kerguelen. Some small Scots islands had potential but I would not give much hope to anyone English trying to live in Scotland after a major collapse

26 December 2011, 17:42,
all land is owned, even an island. a small island would be too small to sustain even a small group, given that all supplies have to be shipped in from the mainland (hang on-i seem to have had this conversation beforeTongue)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 December 2011, 17:45,
(26 December 2011, 17:42)bigpaul Wrote: all land is owned, even an island. a small island would be too small to sustain even a small group, given that all supplies have to be shipped in from the mainland (hang on-i seem to have had this conversation beforeTongue)

BUT if you only wanted to stay for say up to one year you just need to take enough stuff to see you through said year until you could return to the mainland

26 December 2011, 18:08,
(26 December 2011, 17:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: BUT if you only wanted to stay for say up to one year you just need to take enough stuff to see you through said year until you could return to the mainland
as a short time bol in a small time event, that would work but i dont see it working in a TEOTWAWKI situation.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 December 2011, 19:40,
Well lets at least look at viable options, Almach who created and ran one of the other forums for a while lives in Scotland but has been upgrading a property on one of the Western Isles, so there is potential at least. Equally a family I have been dealing with on and off for a few years live near Inverness but also own a property in the Shetlands or Orkneys. There's preppers established on the Channel islands I've read a blog about one extended family on Gurnsey at least and one Jersey based guy replied to an article on Prepping done by the BBc two years ago. Heck even my missus has had job offers to go and live as a community nurse in the Scotish highlands and islands but the economics dont work out in our favour (either the Scots can live more comfortably on 2/3 of normal English salaries or they are trying to get A rated professionals for D rated pay). Islands have potential but again like living in the countryside you need to be moved in and settled BEFORE TSHTF if you want a realistic chance of survival.

27 December 2011, 07:52,
I certainly like the idea of living on an island. If you watched the recent Ray Mears series, he visited North Uist in one episode. The population there is approximately 2,000 and there is a chance that property would be reasonably cheap and probably land as well. Land would be what I would buy and when the disaster comes, build a log cabin. Kenneth Eames.
27 December 2011, 11:38,
There was a televised show about a community forced to be self reliant only a couple of years ago, i think its where Ben Fogle got his break from, Twas set on one of the smaller Western Isles IIRC

27 December 2011, 14:21,
Taransay old boy!! thats what the island was called(not sure of the spelling though!). i've always fancied one of those PODS they lived in!
27 December 2011, 15:23,
Aye thats it. we should club togther and buy one Smile