Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A News Thread Plea
27 April 2014, 21:30,
A News Thread Plea
Please SD and the pretty in pink mods and everyone else can we make this VITAL news section PURELY about news articles RELIVENT to prepping and don't add political commentary which WILL surely start off arguments that bugger things up.

27 April 2014, 22:47,
RE: A News Thread Plea
For me, I find the news topics interesting. But I remember a couple of times when weeks went by and there were only topics about news. People were sooo absorbed by the news, no other prepping related articles took form.

I'd be okay with a news section, but I don't think it would really develop other people's preps.

SD said he was okay with people talking about the news, but providing it resulted in a prepping related discussion. For example, when Scotland made air rifles need certification and licensing. That was prep related and became very much a topic of conversation with people talking about popping over the border to pick up rifles, and things like that.

As far as I can tell, a topic about the missing plane, providing the post then spoke about airline safety, choosing planes that were from a politically neutral country, airline EDC and SRG (Self Rescue Gear), and things like that. If a post is just "Fuel prices are going to rise" it'll be a no go. If it was "Fuel prices are going to rise. So it looks like food will bump up in price. If you've got a little extra cash in the wallet, it's probably a good time to enjoy a buffer against the price hike, and stock up on a few more things before prices go up. Maybe consider converting to veg oil if you drive a diesel. Here's a link for an awesome conversion kit...etc" Then I think SD would be cool with that.

Even something like "Crap is getting heavy with Russia. For those looking at nuclear war, time to double up your Potassium Iodide stores" would be acceptable. But just saying "Crap is getting heavy with Russia." then ending the thread...I think that's what SD is worried about happening, because it's kind of how things ended up last time.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2014, 10:02,
The News Section has been reopened.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 April 2014, 16:14,
(27 April 2014, 21:30)NorthernRaider Wrote: Please SD and the pretty in pink mods and everyone else can we make this VITAL news section PURELY about news articles RELIVENT to prepping and don't add political commentary which WILL surely start off arguments that bugger things up.

Don't see any new links in this post but I'm going to let it run because I'm going to say something.

To stop the news getting out of control I've modified it so that you can only post news. No discussions, ergo, no arguments. I've already seen a post I think has nothing to do with prepping but has a tenuous link defined I'll let that go too as the forum seemed to settle down without my heavy hand.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin