Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two recent low key news items
9 January 2012, 00:27,
Two recent low key news items
The question is, why is this being reported and why now?

1. Chatham House think-tank declares that UK would be in chaos one week into a crisis: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan...aster-risk

And...

2. Belfast Newsletter makes public WW3 contingency plans devised during Cold War: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/p..._1_3387931

So again, why are these kind of things being introduced to the public consciousness now of all times?
9 January 2012, 09:39, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 09:41 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Two recent low key news items
An excellent pair of articles that have real value, thanks for posting these items
Of course the entire civil defence supplies, reserves and logistics have all long since been scrapped right across the UK, Except the bunkers for the ruling elite.

9 January 2012, 10:48, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 10:49 by Scythe13.)
(9 January 2012, 09:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Of course the entire civil defence supplies, reserves and logistics have all long since been scrapped right across the UK, Except the bunkers for the ruling elite.

Who's up for buying some land and building a bunker for the ruling not elite?

On a serious note, how would you build a bunker? Someone must have plans on here.

Actually, I think I have plans on my other computer. I'll check when I get back home.
9 January 2012, 11:10,
(9 January 2012, 10:48)Scythe13 Wrote: On a serious note, how would you build a bunker? Someone must have plans on here.

Actually, I think I have plans on my other computer. I'll check when I get back home.

If moderator Skvez is who i think he is he has plans for bunkers, I have a few books still on prepping to survive a nuclear war as well

Cheapest option is to find one of the old ROC bunkers that were abandoned by the govt and filled with soil at the end of the cold war, they are located in a grid pattern every 16 miles right across the UK, some have been destroyed, some filled with concrete, some used by farmers and a few by survivalists, but many were just filled in.

9 January 2012, 12:25,
UK chaos in one week
Everyone should read "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow, a brilliant novel about the collapse of UK society. I won't spoil it for you but it is awesome and has a great sequel. If I make it to the book sharing event I will bring a copy. Plus it's a nice way to introduce the idea of prepping to sceptical spouses and family members, no tinfoil hat required Smile
9 January 2012, 12:47, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 13:02 by mikebratcher69.)
Thats similar to what I do with the news stories I post, just to get you thinking maybe about scenarios, like NR's scenario posts, you know what would I do if oil went throug the roof, what would happen if there was a nuke at the olympics etc...
With the major events we may face, I think our Government would just leave us to fend for ourselves best as we can.
Like Crying freemans article from the Telegraph pointed out, we've adopted the jit system for most major supermarkets etc.
If you go behind the scenes in a supermarket they now differ greatly from years ago.
Years ago supermarkets had almost as much in the wqrehouse as they did on the shop floor, now theres hardly anything back there, Its all computerised stock control now, they cant even order more than the computer says they can use!! With the recent storms in scotland, we were all surprised on here to find out the scottish islanders, who we thought would be prepared ith a few days food storage at least, wernt even living day to day mor like meal to meal from the local shops. BAD IDEA!!! No reserve food, No cooking facilities even simple soda can stoves (I've got bloody loads of them and fuel)The shops would be empty here on the mainland in short order and if for some reason there was an e.m.p. so no transport would be working, the shit realy would hit the fan...
By the way those simple soda can stoves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzd0mGZjb-0 can heat a room as well so two or three scattered around a room make great heaters, make sure you've plenty of fuel for them (methalated spirit available from your local pound shop).
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
9 January 2012, 13:08,
RE: UK chaos in one week
(9 January 2012, 12:25)Sphinx Wrote: Everyone should read "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow, a brilliant novel about the collapse of UK society. I won't spoil it for you but it is awesome and has a great sequel. If I make it to the book sharing event I will bring a copy. Plus it's a nice way to introduce the idea of prepping to sceptical spouses and family members, no tinfoil hat required Smile

I hate that book and its sequel with a passion !!Confused

9 January 2012, 15:04,
(9 January 2012, 13:08)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(9 January 2012, 12:25)Sphinx Wrote: Everyone should read "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow, a brilliant novel about the collapse of UK society. I won't spoil it for you but it is awesome and has a great sequel. If I make it to the book sharing event I will bring a copy. Plus it's a nice way to introduce the idea of prepping to sceptical spouses and family members, no tinfoil hat required Smile

i like the book but i think it was unnessary to have the sub plot with the hired killer......that really messed it up for me.....otherwise a good book.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 January 2012, 15:32,
(9 January 2012, 15:04)bigpaul Wrote:
(9 January 2012, 13:08)NorthernRaider Wrote:

i like the book but i think it was unnessary to have the sub plot with the hired killer......that really messed it up for me.....otherwise a good book.
I gave up on the second one it nearly put me to sleep.

9 January 2012, 19:22,
I am amazed that the Scots do not prepare. Only people on the smaller islands stock up nowadays and this is because bad weather prevents the ferries sailing. From what I have read, in the past the Scots always kept a decent stock of necessities. This was probably due to the clearances and those left vowed to survive, With affluence most people here no longer think in the same way and as members have expressed it on this site, most people believe that the Government will feed and clothe them. Kenneth Eames.