Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip
9 January 2012, 10:22,
Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip
The first lesson I learned:

The woods are not as scarey at night as everyone says they are!
That may seem obvious, mostly because because it is obvious. Once you get your head around the knowledge that the woods are the same at night as they are in the day, same animals, same trees, and all that, then you are clear. I am happy to admit that it was a bit freaky at first, but that's the primitive mind at work. The mind that is scared of your own bedroom the dark, when you were a child. Once logic is able to kick in, you know you're going to be fine.

Second lesson I learned:

Always have a back-up plan.
This was initially because of the guy-rope situation, but there are so many other that a second plan would have been good for. There were so many rocks under the tent that we could not put all the pegs deeply into the ground. So we used para-cord to use the trees as supports for the ropes.

Third lesson:

Think outside of the box.
See above for the need of a second plan. We can't account for everything to go wrong, so we plan for a few things. Something could go wrong that you didn't think of. That is when ingenuity comes into play. No cutlery? Make chopsticks, for example.

Forth Lesson:

It's all about bowls.
There was no point me taking the plates. Big, odd shaped, metal plates. We never used them. Everything gets put into a pot then into a bowl. The plates were not used.

Fifth Lesson:

Never underestimate the value of books!
These little beauties are well overlooked. We used the Foraging book, and Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, to identify plants and the alike. It was amazing to see the amount of food around us! How do people starve to death in the wilderness? Lack of knowledge!!! Pick up some books and get learning! That is a command!!!!!!

Sixth Lesson:

Never let the cold, or hunger, control your emotions.
This is vital when you're with a beautiful woman that you love!!! In the cold you can get grouchy, and snappy. I don't think I was too bad, but mainly because I am always happy. But I did find myself needing to not get angry with her, like struggling with a tin opener. I was a little cold and very hungry, and I had to say to myself, "She's never used one before. You were once in that situation Scythe13. Go and help her out, and don't be snappy." I imagine that it could be much more emotionally intense if we were both really cold and hungry.

Seventh Lesson:

Do you really need this.....?
This lesson was a real beauty! Testing our packs allowed us to check what equipment we actually needed and what we should store more of. Next trip, for example, I'm not taking as many sets of clothes. Not taking the plates. Maybe taking a smaller tent. That kind of thing. I'm a big guy, in the gym 6 days a week, but even I found the trek heavy going!

Eighth Lesson:

You might be a big guy, but time makes things heavier!
This really comes down to lightweight packing. On the list to buy are lighter tent, lighter (and better) sleeping bags, lighter sleeping blow up matress thing. That is just a start. There are much more, do doubt.

Ninth Lesson:

Never Underestimate Hot Chocolate!!!
I don't mean the band that did that song for The Full Monty. I mean the drink. Buy the best quality, nicest, sexiest (you'll understand that on a cold day) hot chocolate you can buy! With a nice metal cup to drink it out of. It will warm your hands, and taste beautiful at the same time. It's like Christmas in a cup! This is the ultimate thing to have just before bed, and the best thing to give to a lady, that you love, first thing in the morning. Just don't tell her you want that, right now, hot chocolate in your hands more than you want her (If you are reading this Alice, I didn't think that. I just thought I'd better warn other people of it).

Tenth Lesson:

Find a way to clean the pots, pans, plates, and all that.
This is one that we kind of overlooked. But an old tea towel came to the rescue and sacrificed it's life for our cause. We will be looking at taking some washing up liquid and a small scrubber next time.

Eleventh and final Lesson:

Share and Savour the moments.
This is probably the most important lesson I learned. It is not much about survival, but more about Love.
I sat, cuddled up with the woman I love, late at night, in the dark, in the woods, both of us warmed by a fire we lit, playing cards. It doesn't sound like much, but it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. The memory will last me until I die.
We woke up on the Sunday, looked each other in the eyes, while still snuggled up in our sleeping bags. Her big beautiful blue eyes looking back at me adoringly, I said to her "We made it baby. I love you." (as I write this I have tears rolling down my face thinking of how beautiful the moment really was. I hope my boss doesn't walk in.) She looked at me, smiled, then said "I knew we would. I think all couples should do this....I love you so much." That single moment rewrote my heart and my view of the whole weekend. I thought it was all about survival and staying alive. I actually learned it was also about sharing, loving, and showing compassion to the person you are with in that situation.

To quote Christopher McCandless (Super Tramp, Into the Wild):
Happiness is only real when shared.

Thank you for reading.
9 January 2012, 10:32,
RE: Lessons Learned from Jan 2012 Trip
I'm more scared of city streets at night than I am of the wilderness and woods, far more nasty things waiting to hurt you in a city than in the boonies

9 January 2012, 11:44, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 11:45 by Nemesis.)
[quote='Scythe13' pid='4316' dateline='1326100966']

That may seem obvious, mostly because because it is obvious. Once you get your head around the knowledge that the woods are the same at night as they are in the day, same animals, same trees, and all that, then you are clear. I am happy to admit that it was a bit freaky at first, but that's the primitive mind at work. The mind that is scared of your own bedroom the dark, when you were a child. Once logic is able to kick in, you know you're going to be fine.

Unless you know the area very well or have car/truck parked nearby, night time woods is not same as day time, we are not talking about sitting in camp and letting mind get carried away, more so daylight to set up camp, get to know area, camp safe placement, and find water, get your wood ready so on.

If something went wrong, say one of you getting a deep wound! anytime would be hell but in the night it just would be a lot harder, even down to finding your med kit or contents in it, I always have a small torch tied to my med kit and also inside it another one, that alongside any main lighting I bring with me as well, then after you have treated the wound now go in pitch black and get help and then say its same as day time.

My main concern with one of your posts was you said you were getting someone to drop you and your girlfriend off somewhere unknown and this would be at night time (eve), I myself would always do an early morning start for that kind of camp, but hey it’s not like you had to face snow and really cold weather and everything went ok.

Second lesson I learned:

This was initially because of the guy-rope situation, but there are so many other that a second plan would have been good for. There were so many rocks under the tent that we could not put all the pegs deeply into the ground. So we used para-cord to use the trees as supports for the ropes.

And always make sure that plan includes comms, and a good first aid kit and a trusted friend who knows where you are or at least near enough.

Third lesson:

See above for the need of a second plan. We can't account for everything to go wrong, so we plan for a few things. Something could go wrong that you didn't think of. That is when ingenuity comes into play. No cutlery? Make chopsticks, for example.

That’s the fun part.

Forth Lesson:

It's all about bowls.
There was no point me taking the plates. Big, odd shaped, metal plates. We never used them. Everything gets put into a pot then into a bowl. The plates were not used.

My canteens are water pot, choc pot and main meal pot, two day camp no need to wash them, keep them covered and reuse, just a wipe is enough.

Fifth Lesson:

These little beauties are well overlooked. We used the Foraging book, and Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft, to identify plants and the alike. It was amazing to see the amount of food around us! How do people starve to death in the wilderness? Lack of knowledge!!! Pick up some books and get learning! That is a command!!!!!!

Sixth Lesson:

This is vital when you're with a beautiful woman that you love!!! In the cold you can get grouchy, and snappy. I don't think I was too bad, but mainly because I am always happy. But I did find myself needing to not get angry with her, like struggling with a tin opener. I was a little cold and very hungry, and I had to say to myself, "She's never used one before. You were once in that situation Scythe13. Go and help her out, and don't be snappy." I imagine that it could be much more emotionally intense if we were both really cold and hungry.

Yes check yourself.

Seventh Lesson:

This lesson was a real beauty! Testing our packs allowed us to check what equipment we actually needed and what we should store more of. Next trip, for example, I'm not taking as many sets of clothes. Not taking the plates. Maybe taking a smaller tent. That kind of thing. I'm a big guy, in the gym 6 days a week, but even I found the trek heavy going!

Yeh lose the crap

Eighth Lesson:

This really comes down to lightweight packing. On the list to buy are lighter tent, lighter (and better) sleeping bags, lighter sleeping blow up matress thing. That is just a start. There are much more, do doubt.

I notice you packed a lot of tins, next time open them and bag them lose the tins, I myself vacuum pack before I go out.

Ninth Lesson:

I don't mean the band that did that song for The Full Monty. I mean the drink. Buy the best quality, nicest, sexiest (you'll understand that on a cold day) hot chocolate you can buy! With a nice metal cup to drink it out of. It will warm your hands, and taste beautiful at the same time. It's like Christmas in a cup! This is the ultimate thing to have just before bed, and the best thing to give to a lady, that you love, first thing in the morning. Just don't tell her you want that, right now, hot chocolate in your hands more than you want her (If you are reading this Alice, I didn't think that. I just thought I'd better warn other people of it).

I agree hot chocolate is number one pick for me, although I don't agree on buy the best one, I have bought the best and I really like asda smart price one over them all 48p for a tub.

I make a power meal with hot chocolate if you want to know more I will make some and take few pics?

Tenth Lesson:

This is one that we kind of overlooked. But an old tea towel came to the rescue and sacrificed it's life for our cause. We will be looking at taking some washing up liquid and a small scrubber next time.

I use Russian canteen type cooking set, as I said above for two days no need to wash it.

I gave mine away to a mate and was lost without it, I managed to get a brand new one sent to me form Ukraine, so I am looking forward to using it in Feb.

This is probably the most important lesson I learned. It is not much about survival, but more about Love.
I sat, cuddled up with the woman I love, late at night, in the dark, in the woods, both of us warmed by a fire we lit, playing cards. It doesn't sound like much, but it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. The memory will last me until I die.
We woke up on the Sunday, looked each other in the eyes, while still snuggled up in our sleeping bags. Her big beautiful blue eyes looking back at me adoringly, I said to her "We made it baby. I love you." (as I write this I have tears rolling down my face thinking of how beautiful the moment really was. I hope my boss doesn't walk in.) She looked at me, smiled, then said "I knew we would. I think all couples should do this....I love you so much." That single moment rewrote my heart and my view of the whole weekend. I thought it was all about survival and staying alive. I actually learned it was also about sharing, loving, and showing compassion to the person you are with in that situation.

Alone is good also, I do often go with my 5 kids and wife, but alone works for me as well.
[quote='Scythe13' pid='4316' dateline='1326100966']

Unless you know the area very well or have car/truck parked nearby, night time woods is not same as day time, we are not talking about sitting in camp and letting mind get carried away, more so daylight to set up camp, get to know area, camp safe placement, and find water, get your wood ready so on.

If something went wrong, say one of you getting a deep wound! anytime would be hell but in the night it just would be a lot harder, even down to finding your med kit or contents in it, I always have a small torch tied to my med kit and also inside it another one, that alongside any main lighting I bring with me as well, then after you have treated the wound now go in pitch black and get help and then say its same as day time.

My main concern with one of your posts was you said you were getting someone to drop you and your girlfriend off somewhere unknown and this would be at night time (eve), I myself would always do an early morning start for that kind of camp, but hey it’s not like you had to face snow and really cold weather and everything went ok.

Second lesson I learned:

And always make sure that plan includes comms, and a good first aid kit and a trusted friend who knows where you are or at least near enough.

Third lesson:

That’s the fun part.

Forth Lesson:

It's all about bowls.

My canteens are water pot, choc pot and main meal pot, two day camp no need to wash them, keep them covered and reuse, just a wipe is enough.

Fifth Lesson:

Sixth Lesson:

Yes check yourself.

Seventh Lesson:

Yeh lose the crap

Eighth Lesson:

I notice you packed a lot of tins, next time open them and bag them lose the tins, I myself vacuum pack before I go out.

Ninth Lesson:

I agree hot chocolate is number one pick for me, although I don't agree on buy the best one, I have bought the best and I really like asda smart price one over them all 48p for a tub.

I make a power meal with hot chocolate if you want to know more I will make some and take few pics?

Tenth Lesson:

I use Russian canteen type cooking set, as I said above for two days no need to wash it.

I gave mine away to a mate and was lost without it, I managed to get a brand new one sent to me form Ukraine, so I am looking forward to using it in Feb.

Alone is good also, I do often go with my 5 kids and wife, but alone works for me as well.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
9 January 2012, 12:04,
Doesn't sound like you missed out all that much.

I think you did well but consider that you were lucky with the weather. It could have been much colder (global warming is great) so you need to take that into account. I don't normally use washing up liquid, I just rinse them in drinking water. If I was out in the wilds and water was restricted I would use a stream or just wipe them with leaves or a cloth like you did. It is personal taste, I find that WUL residue tastes terrible and it takes hot or a lot of water to remove.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 January 2012, 12:09,
(9 January 2012, 10:22)Scythe13 Wrote: The first lesson I learned:

Unless you know the area very well or have car/truck parked nearby, night time woods is not same as day time, we are not talking about sitting in camp and letting mind get carried away, more so daylight is best time to set up camp, get to know area, camp safe placement, and find water, get your wood ready so on.

If something went wrong, say one of you getting a deep wound! anytime would be hell but in the night it just would be a lot harder, even down to finding your med kit or contents in it, I always have a small torch tied to my med kit and also inside it another one head type (leave you two hands to treat person), that alongside any main lighting I bring with me as well, then after you have treated the wound now go in pitch black and get help and then say its same as day time, "little bit more thought here".

It is good to camp alone as well.

Lose the tins, open them and bag contents, I vacuum seal, I also make a power drink/meal would you like to know more?

-------------------------------------------
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
9 January 2012, 21:51,
(9 January 2012, 12:04)Skean Dhude Wrote: I think you did well but consider that you were lucky with the weather. It could have been much colder (global warming is great) so you need to take that into account.

I totally accept that. God was looking out for us that weekend! No doubt.

(9 January 2012, 12:09)WetandCold Wrote: If something went wrong, say one of you getting a deep wound! anytime would be hell but in the night it just would be a lot harder, even down to finding your med kit or contents in it...My main concern with one of your posts was you said you were getting someone to drop you and your girlfriend off somewhere unknown and this would be at night time (eve), I myself would always do an early morning start for that kind of camp, but hey it’s not like you had to face snow and really cold weather and everything went ok.

These were things we took into account. The person that dropped us off was her dad. He knew the area well. The idea is that we didn't know our position on a map, so would have to navigate our way back. Also we made sure we had phone signal where we were.

We did take many things into account. It was all calculated risk.
13 January 2012, 21:40,
(9 January 2012, 12:09)WetandCold Wrote: Lose the tins, open them and bag contents, I vacuum seal, I also make a power drink/meal would you like to know more?

I think thats a good idea WAC, one of the things we really needed was to have lighter luggage. I am trying to remember the things that were most useful for me.

LADIES - be prepared for that monthly arrival. Luckily I was prepared but I wasnt prepared for how cold I got, I have low iron anyway, which meant I got cold more than usual when I started on. It wasn't too bad but my feet were freezing!
26 January 2012, 00:07,
Tucked inside my Trangia I have a third of a sponge scourer & a tiny bottle of WUL (I use an old miniature shower gel/shampoo bottle pilfered from a hotel). Just using a drop of WUL makes the job much easier and doesn't leave a residue/taste. I also have a small tea towel (though that's a bit of a luxury item) folded inside my Trangia. I have a couple of lightweight mini stoves/cookers (one a hexi burner, the other made of a coke can) - but I haven't tried them yet. I won't be bugging out personally, but that's my experience from camping.

For feet, I always wear Heat Holders. My mate told me about an offer in Briz where they're two pair for £6 (£2 per pair saving). I can find out the shop if you like?
29 January 2012, 22:26,
FYI - the Briz shop is What! - 2 pairs Heat Holders for £6.
29 January 2012, 23:47,
(29 January 2012, 22:26)Prep28 Wrote: FYI - the Briz shop is What! - 2 pairs Heat Holders for £6.

Thanks huni. We've been out and found some in the 'Factory Shop' in Nailsea. Same offer, 2 for £6.00. You're a star, we were looking out for them everywhere!

Will be trying them out in a few weeks time. Thank you.