Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt daft idea of the day (turning off FM radio)
5 November 2015, 07:17, (This post was last modified: 5 November 2015, 07:17 by Lightspeed.)
RE: Govt daft idea of the day (turning off FM radio)
Picking up on Steve's thoughts.

The only reason I can see that one would want to broadcast as you describe is to communicate across the whole of a local community that was not pre-organized for a SHTF situation. (perepared communities would have CB or some other form of point to point radio transceiver network in place). A low power broadcast frequency FM transmitter would be a good choice for this as it would be receivable by pretty much everyone in the community on their old FM radios, radio enabled smartphones and even UV5r type walkie talkies.

River Song was looking into this a while ago. I don't know how she got on.

FM broadcast equipment is readily available out of China on the Bay. But beware that getting caught transmitting with this sort of equipment in UK under current legislation will land you an extremely heavy fine. the things used in cars ater transmitting a few thousandths of a watt of RF. The transmitters I'm talking about output between 1 and 20w, so many thousands of times more powerful.

Remoting such a transmitter and powering it from solar charged 12v batteries is entirely viable, and of course the recorded information loop need be nothing more complex than an MP3 player set to repeat.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
RE: Govt daft idea of the day (turning off FM radio) - by Lightspeed - 5 November 2015, 07:17