Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary, third of arable land lost in only 40 years
4 December 2015, 09:10,
RE: Scary, third of arable land lost in only 40 years
I firmly believe that there are too many humans around, added to which, generally,our lifestyle needs a rethink. It's a quality v quantity thing.
As for the lemming bit I would call that the 'tipping point'. In other words when 'you' pass this there is nowhere else to go.
Opposite where I live are some fields. The farmer sold them and a local bod was going to get planning permission to build. That all fell through. To get a return on investment the local bod decided to rent out little allotment plots. All very well - but nothing would grow there except 'weeds'. The allotment renters deserted en masse. The area is now a pony paddock - and very slowly you can see things beginning to get back to 'normal'. Grass is beginning to take hold and the natural processes of the animals are beginning to encourage a change in composition of the top layer of soil. One of the local 'experts' has indicated that samples taken over recent months are showing a reduction in the 'sand' and an increase in top soil material and other matter including the odd worm or two. It will take years to get it back to what most of us see in our own gardens. Industrial growing, farming, is all very well but I believe a rethink is needed before we reach the point of no return. Now may be a good time to engage grey matter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scary, third of arable land lost in only 40 years - by iaaems - 4 December 2015, 09:10