Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivalist freezes to death in Scotland
21 January 2012, 11:07,
Survivalist freezes to death in Scotland
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...n-hut.html

21 January 2012, 11:25,
RE: Survivalist freezes to death in Scotland
this is what happens when you follow people like Bear Grylls, better to take the advise of someone like Ray Mears who, to my mind makes more sense.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 January 2012, 12:51,
I think it's unfortunate that a young man lost his life in this way, but I can't see why the Daily Mail points the finger at Bear. B.G. gives advice as do many other 'survivalists' in my mind this doesn't make him responsible for this young persons demise.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

21 January 2012, 14:32,
The Daily mail is a nasty piece of anti gun, anti freedom nonsense that's not even fit for wiping your backside on! Don't read papers, they're nothing but propaganda for wither the Left Or the Right and full of brain and soul destroying celebrity s**t!!!
Joe.
21 January 2012, 18:57,
It is a great shame that Austin lost his life at Corrour. It is a terrible place in the Winter and especially on Rannoch Moor. We have had strong winds, snow, hail and very cold rain so far this year. The moor can be treacherous and walking there is very hard going, with the weather as it is. You are constantly floundering in the mud. Certainly no time to practice survival skills. Kenneth Eames.
21 January 2012, 21:19,
I have been in one or a few "do or die" situations myself in the past. Then I joined civy, had kids and got soft. In our case "Bug Out" is a last resort. You can send your kids to get tough school, you can enlighten your partner on basics but you cannot fully ensure their readiness until the MOMENT ! I believe, certainly here in the city, an English mans castle is his keep. If I get the chance before SHTF, my place will look looted, burned and pillaged, whilst at the same time still being our "BUG IN". I'll burn a candle tonight for the "fellow" that died.
You have to get up early to catch a fox.
21 January 2012, 21:44,
(21 January 2012, 21:19)Jodansgang Wrote: I'll burn a candle tonight for the "fellow" that died.

Me and AlyBear burned an incense stick for him.
21 January 2012, 22:09,
Blaming Bear Grylls is a bizarre reaction. BG - and others who promote bushcraft - are not telling anyone that this is a way of life; they're saying these are skills that increase your odds of staying alive as you make your way back to safety after an emergency occurs in the wild.
23 January 2012, 09:33,
(21 January 2012, 22:09)cryingfreeman Wrote: Blaming Bear Grylls is a bizarre reaction. BG - and others who promote bushcraft - are not telling anyone that this is a way of life; they're saying these are skills that increase your odds of staying alive as you make your way back to safety after an emergency occurs in the wild.

If anyone should be blamed, it's that guy from the film "Into the Wild". But he said that experiences should be shared. Which suggests that the poor guy that died didn't watch that film, or he would have taken someone with him.

Maybe he wrote it down, or it was something his family said he liked to watch, or something like that.
23 January 2012, 10:23,
The article seemed fair enough, competently written. I think the whole episode, based on what we have been told, underlines the fact that 'survival' is a way of life and a thought process of long standing, it is not something you can learn from a few courses and expect to be proficient at it straight away. It takes lots of practice on the nursery slopes before you go for the real no holds barred thing.
It is sad that this young person died doing what he wanted to do.