Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meteor over the Uk
1 March 2021, 18:06,
Meteor over the Uk
Just seen this on the news.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/14194149/h...-uk-video/

That’s pretty big and too close for comfort.
1 March 2021, 18:12,
RE: Meteor over the Uk
More info.

https://ukmeteornetwork.co.uk/news/fireb...uary-2021/
1 March 2021, 21:13,
That particular meteor was probably no larger than a cricket ball. Most of the shooting stars one spots are the size of a pin head.

Here in the US there is a higher statistical probability of being killed by a meteor than by a tornado?

Here's another little piece of trivia. The first example of Jim Bowie's famous knife was supposedly forged from meteor steel, as was the steel dagger in King Tuts tomb.
2 March 2021, 09:31,
The big concern is population density of the target area, granted we don’t get that many in the Uk but if one makes it to the ground there will be casualties. Worse still if we get something like the Siberia event then it’s on par with a tactical nuke.
2 March 2021, 10:07,
" a miss is as good as a mile". I'll worry when one hits, nothing I personally can do about it anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2021, 12:39,
(1 March 2021, 21:13)Mortblanc Wrote: That particular meteor was probably no larger than a cricket ball. Most of the shooting stars one spots are the size of a pin head.

Here in the US there is a higher statistical probability of being killed by a meteor than by a tornado?

Here's another little piece of trivia. The first example of Jim Bowie's famous knife was supposedly forged from meteor steel, as was the steel dagger in King Tuts tomb.

Around the same days, there was news about space debris in Australia and the fall of an apricot-sized meteorite in France. It’s strange.
In orbit, objects weighing less than a gram destroy 4 satellites per year. So don't underestimate the dangers of space debris and other things. The likelihood of injury on Earth is small but higher than the likelihood of winning the lottery.
11 March 2021, 13:45,
most meteors burn up in the earth's atmosphere and any that get through are small in size and small in number.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2021, 13:48,
TommyJ ......I am now walking in a zig zag pattern and waring my crash helmet .....whilst looking up......and that’s in the middle of Aldi’s .
12 March 2021, 19:38,
Yes, it is not dangerous for people now. But when there are additional 60-100 thousand satellites in orbit... We can get a bunch of space debris. Scientists fear a cascading effect. When debris destroys other objects in orbit and creates more debris. In order to destroy the satellite, a fragment of 0.17 gram with high speed is enough.
Also in orbit, there are fragments of rockets weighing more than a ton. They can actually cause discomfort when falling.
12 March 2021, 20:34,
There is a database online somewhere where this debris is recorded. If I remember correctly there are over 100K items up there including a Hasselblad camera.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin